Hard or Soft Tonneau Cover ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I got a deal on mine when I bought the truck, just had to take it back and let them have it for a week (they did get me a loaner Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it wasn't me new truck!). I got the Retrax Tonneau Retractable Bed Cover as I don't use the full bed anyway. I just wanted another truck! Yes, I know it was dirty when I took the pic! LOL!
20240420_185431.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks pretty good. I forgot about that style. I don't see them too much around here. What's the good and bad on them if I can ask?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What do you mean by bed rails? As in, the decorative rails that mount to the top of the bed rails? If so, yes, some covers will work with those. Paragon covers will work with them.
Yes the rails that mount above the fenders !

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had a hard on my previous Raptor and gen 4 1500.
I had a soft on my gen 5 1500 and my current 2500.

They have advantages and disadvantages.

Hard looks best and is most secure obviously, even though a crook can easily pop it with a crow bar. But it’s a deterrent and definitely better than soft material that could be cut. I also found they both have same level of water-tight-ness

my biggest issue with the hard cover and why I haven’t gone back to it is that I was once loading up some materials and had the hard cover unlocked and folded back but not strapped as I just folded it to load stuff and then was going to put it back down and lock it.
Well a monster gust of wind lifted the hard cover up and smashed the rear window out.
Not that this couldn’t happen with a soft cover but it just made me stay away from hard covers since then.
Hummmm ? good point I never thought about ?
The wind blowing it off...... I believe that
I live on top of a high mountain where open areas and weather stations record wind gusts of 70 MPH
I don't worry about a head wind while driving but the cross winds getting under my cover.
That's good to know.....Thank You for that

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One word of caution on the soft, and some of the hard covers, if your truck ever has to be towed backwards on a flatbed, or wrecker, make sure the cover is removed or secured extremely well. Just FYI, and a good tow truck operator will know that as well.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Will a Tonneau cover fit if you have a head ache rack installed ?
Thanks

MOPAR TECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GETTING A BED COVER ITS REALLY UP TO YOU BUT I AM LOOKING INTO A HARD COVER BEACUSE WITH THE SOFT COVER IT CAN EASLY DAMAGED OR SOMEONE CUTTING IT WITH A KNIFE TO GET IN BACK WITH THE HAED COVER GIVES ME A PIEACE OF MIND THAT IT WIIL HARDER FOR SOMEONE TO BREAK INTO BACK OF TRUCK

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
A SIMPLE PRY BAR WILL OPEN A HARD COVER.
GETTING A BED COVER ITS REALLY UP TO YOU BUT I AM LOOKING INTO A HARD COVER BEACUSE WITH THE SOFT COVER IT CAN EASLY DAMAGED OR SOMEONE CUTTING IT WITH A KNIFE TO GET IN BACK WITH THE HAED COVER GIVES ME A PIEACE OF MIND THAT IT WIIL HARDER FOR SOMEONE TO BREAK INTO BACK OF TRUCK

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't lock my tailgate ...so all they'd have to do is look inside, to steal free air.
:D

If thieves really want in, they'll get it (with more damage). But I get your point. Makes sense.

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I don't lock my tailgate ...so all they'd have to do is look inside, to steal free air.
:D

If thieves really want in, they'll get it (with more damage). But I get your point. Makes sense.
I agree
the thieves can get in a hard liner just as easy as a soft one
my biggest worry was the snow and ice weight on top and that's the main reason I picked the hard liner

Tbucket

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi-eTorque 5.7
Go to Real truck and check out the Gator FX. Hard cover and 3.5 hard fold. Had a soft Tonno Pro on old Ford truck, it fit good and never leaked but it would have been easy to get into with a knife. With this cover, I no longer concern myself with someone using a knife. The tailgate locks it in place. No need for extra keys. Personally I looked around for at least an hour at various options and ended up with the Gator. No leaks at all.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Will a Tonneau cover fit if you have a head ache rack installed ?
Thanks

Mine would because it mounts inside the rails and sits almost flush with the top. I've had it for almost 5 yrs and has been great.
This is the best pic I have on file but I found it on Amazon and it's a Gator ETX Soft Tonneau Cover. They have a decent warranty also but never had to use it.
And it handles snow.

20200213_162539.jpg

20220104_100200.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Mine would because it mounts inside the rails and sits almost flush with the top. I've had it for almost 5 yrs and has been great.
This is the best pic I have on file but I found it on Amazon and it's a Gator ETX Soft Tonneau Cover. They have a decent warranty also but never had to use it.
And it handles snow.

View attachment 546638

View attachment 546639
Thanks !

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP nice cover.

Mind taking a picture of it folded up? I might be in the hunt for a new cover in probably 2 yrs.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
If you go to a site like "American Truck" they will have videos of both hard and soft, roll up and fold ,etc,etc,. As they sell all types and brands. You can see and hear about the advantages and not so good ideas on all styles. They even show you how to install and remove. My vote is soft ( I had a 1-piece that snap on to top rails on my Dakota for its life (22 years/soft can be as "bulletproof as hard). So my new to me 16 Ram also got a soft, this time I went to a folding. Hard did not get my vote "FOR ME" they have many benefits over soft, but they also have draw backs, and the draw backs - for the way I would be using the cover had me choosing soft again. Take your time look and just make sure you get what will work for you.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love my roll-up soft cover but realize it's limitations - mainly security. Although, out of sight will deter 99% of would-be criminals. I generally carry some work stuff that could be replaced for <$500 so I'm willing to take the chance. In 15+ years (a couple different trucks and covers) I've never had a problem. The most valuable thing I ever have is my 5th wheel hitch which is nice to conceal. And, I'd be intrigued to see someone try to steal that.... not that it's impossible but I hope they bring a couple friends :)

Water-tightness is also a consideration. My soft cover does let a bit in but not much... usually only notice after going through a wash or during a REALLY hard rain. The other side of that is sometimes I throw wet coveralls, etc. in and having no airflow could be a problem with things molding.

In the end there's no one answer... just depends what you need it to do for you.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer a trifold soft cover on my 2020 5.7 bed. Very easy to remove when needed (I can remove and carry it with no help, easier with the wife to square it up on reinstall.) It is very water resistant, some minimal leaks from the tailgate area. I did not buy/install any kind of tailgate seal for my truck. If it has to be watertight I use very large trash bags, and or plastic tubs. I have the flexibility to fold and store the cover in the bed or the backseat (requires help and some adjusting, not recommended.) My cover also requires the tailgate to be opened, my tailgate automatically locks with the door locks. Not a high-security device as noted, but it keeps the honest folks out, and if someone wants in as noted a sharp instrument, and they can see that most of the time, just air in the bed. But hopefully minimal damage to the truck. FYI, I have the Truxedo Trifecta 2.0 cover, I would buy the same top again if required, it fully meets MY needs, but your mileage may vary.

For the snow question/problem: When the snow wizards make a prediction of snow, I take the cover off and store it in the garage/house. I have had it snow as a surprise and my top has handled the load well. I promptly remove the snow with a broom, and then take the top off and place it loosely folded in the garage to dry. Since it is a pickup truck and my primary transportation. By having removed the top as a precaution also allows, the snow build-up in the bed, to give me free weight, adds traction, and reduces the tendency to spin due to the lack of weight/mass in the bed. By the time the snow melts the roads have been plowed, sanded and are in the process of clearing.

BlueHemi1500

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My assistant's firefighter husband just purchased this one. I asked him did it leak and he said so far its stood up to rain, a pressure washer and other exposure. I can only assume what he meant