Improved towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 with the 6.4. I am towing a Jayco Eagle 322RLOK camper using a Propride P3 hitch. The truck handles the camper but was looking for suggestions on how to improve ride quality when towing. My wife has a bad back and the ride can be "jarring" at times. Would diffrent shocks help (currently stock) or air bags?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Bags would most likely be your best bet to stiffen up your ride while towing to get rid of the 'bounce'. However, you'll want to take a compressor with you, as once you're unhooked you're going to want to air them down before you go travelling - a 3/4 ton truck with aired up bags when empty rides like a dually 1-ton (a chuck wagon, if you will).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Definitely don't need airbags unless you want to go to an air ride system.
Fi d a CAT scale and weigh the truck and trailer fully loaded for camping, then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck to see where the weigh is located. You might be able to soften the ride by moving the load around (front to back). by moving where things are loaded or tuning the WDH. You also could lower the rear tire pressure depending on how much load is on them.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My bad, I thought the 322RLOK was a fifth wheel for some reason.

Crash has it right, adjust the WDH and see if you can adjust your loading somewhat.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put air bags in my 2017 3/4 ton ram when I had it. Worked great for a smoother ride. Only needed 5 lbs in the bags. Carried a hand pump in case I needed it but did use it one time just to see if I needed a bigger air pump. Worked fine for just 5 lbs needed. Only pumped them up when towing my RV. Did forget one time to let the air out. Definitely a hard ride. Learned my lesson. I traded that truck to a 3500 for use with a new 5th wheel. Not much else you can do to soften the ride. Good luck on your decision.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 with the 6.4. I am towing a Jayco Eagle 322RLOK camper using a Propride P3 hitch. The truck handles the camper but was looking for suggestions on how to improve ride quality when towing. My wife has a bad back and the ride can be "jarring" at times. Would diffrent shocks help (currently stock) or air bags?
2500 HD trucks ride hard.

First - what is happening when the 'jarring' happens? What surface are you driving over to cause the 'jarring'?

zrock

Reaction score
Toss a couple of hundred LBS in the box to get the springs more into their sweet spot for weight handling. From factory the springs are pretty stiff as they are designed as a work truck, If it was me i would go to my local spring shop and have them make a custom set of springs that will still keep your weight rating but will ride much smoother. I know guys around here and its a night and day difference.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
2500 HD trucks ride hard.

First - what is happening when the 'jarring' happens? What surface are you driving over to cause the 'jarring'?
I personally didn't think my 2500 rode too bad. I loved the coil springs. Softer ride but didn't have any problem with a heavy load. When I was first looking at buying a full size truck I drove 2500's & 1500's. With a bit of the air taken out of the tires the 2500 rode better than the 1500 with leaf springs. Now I drive a 3500 SRW & it rides rough. But that is what I needed.

OP
OP
D

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The surface that was the worst for the jarring was a concrete highway. It is only when towing that it is a problem. When empty the truck rides pretty good.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I personally didn't think my 2500 rode too bad. I loved the coil springs. Softer ride but didn't have any problem with a heavy load. When I was first looking at buying a full size truck I drove 2500's & 1500's. With a bit of the air taken out of the tires the 2500 rode better than the 1500 with leaf springs. Now I drive a 3500 SRW & it rides rough. But that is what I needed.
My 2500 rides great on highways.

But on rough roads I feel it like I never did with a 1500.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
The surface that was the worst for the jarring was a concrete highway. It is only when towing that it is a problem. When empty the truck rides pretty good.
I get that also when towing my TT.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed an 8400# camper (loaded) tongue hitch with a 14,000# equalizer sway setup. Originally I did it with my 1/2 ton Ram, but bought a 2500 to tow it since I was pushing the limits of the 1500.
We traveled a stretch of road that made the camper bounce viciously and we would lean forward while driving (Off the seat back) and that seemed to help. :) You just can't do that for long stretches of road! We adjusted the Equalizer and it helped only marginally.

We bought an Airsafe hitch and that took most of the bounce out. They are not cheap. I had about 1200# on the pin/hitch and just looking at your big camper (38.7' 9500# empty) you may have 2000# on the pin/hitch loaded? Sway wise you want about 15%, (or more) of the camper total loaded weight to keep the sway away down steep hills. You might want to call Airsafe and discuss with him your setup as they have adapters to work with WDH's. I lost 25% of my Airsafe rated weight using the adapter.
Other than that, Shocker sells some 20k rated air hitches that are cheaper. I can't say they are big enough for the tongue weight you have or that they will work with your WDH. Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I am about to try a Propride hitch. I talked to the people at propride and they feel their 1400/14000 lb hitch will work for me. I installed it and took a test ride and it felt much better then the equalizer hitch. I am headed out this weekend to Akron Ohio (about 6 hr drive) so I should know more after that trip.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I towed our camper only once in Colorado and got some pretty bad oscillation over the concrete joints when towing like I think you are mentioning. The truck does it a bit with no trailer, but did it really bad with the camper. I did install air bags over the winter to help level the truck. I camped this past weekend and the ride seemed to be a lot better over concrete joints but I wasn't fully loaded with our side by side. TBD if that actually helped or not.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're welcome. The Airsafe and the Shocker both use an Airbag to absorb shock from you camper/trailer when traveling rough roads. We have a bad stretch of concrete road that makes you think you are riding a galloping horse. They don't take all the shake out but dramatically reduce it. They are not a WDH. I even have an airbag on my 5th wheel hitch and it makes that stretch easier on the back and the trucks suspension.
Good luck with the Propride hitch.