Lane Sense Not Working After Windshield Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
2023 Ram 3500, had to have windshield replaced after a huge crack developed. Safelite was who my insurance company recommended. Windshield replaced with an OEM replacement and front camera re-calibrated. Lane Sense now doesn't work. Mostly shows the white telltale icon indicating it's not seeing the center line and fog line. At times the telltale will start flashing yellow when on top of one of the lane markers, but NO steering wheel torque for correction. Safelite has now attempted to re-calibrate seven (7) times, but same result. Safelite said to take to dealership and they would cover cost. Dealership re-calibrated, but still no steering wheel torque correction and telltale is mostly staying white. Now Safelite says they won't pay for the re-calibration and that I have to submit to my insurance. Will talk to Safelite manager tomorrow and file a complaint if he doesn't pay as he said he would. Still, Lane Sense not working properly. Any ideas? Does it take some driving for the system to reset itself? At a total loss right now...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Did the dealership not test drive it after their repair? If not, find another dealership.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did the dealership provide any documentation of a diagnosis? Faulty windshield, damaged sensor connections, etc. sounds like the insurance company needs to have a serious talk with Safelite.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2023 Ram 3500, had to have windshield replaced after a huge crack developed. Safelite was who my insurance company recommended. Windshield replaced with an OEM replacement and front camera re-calibrated. Lane Sense now doesn't work. Mostly shows the white telltale icon indicating it's not seeing the center line and fog line. At times the telltale will start flashing yellow when on top of one of the lane markers, but NO steering wheel torque for correction. Safelite has now attempted to re-calibrate seven (7) times, but same result. Safelite said to take to dealership and they would cover cost. Dealership re-calibrated, but still no steering wheel torque correction and telltale is mostly staying white. Now Safelite says they won't pay for the re-calibration and that I have to submit to my insurance. Will talk to Safelite manager tomorrow and file a complaint if he doesn't pay as he said he would. Still, Lane Sense not working properly. Any ideas? Does it take some driving for the system to reset itself? At a total loss right now...
Lots of wannabes. Find a diagnostician, not a mere parts swapper.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
seems there were other posts here about the same or similar issue with Safelite.

doesn't the dealer have to re-flash the computer or something like that? Every time you touch something electrical they have to mess with the computers.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had a front windshield replaced on my wife's 2022 limited a month or so ago. Safelite replaced and recalibrated everything just fine on hers. So...it can be done. Hopefully they get yours fixed soon.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
seems there were other posts here about the same or similar issue with Safelite.

doesn't the dealer have to re-flash the computer or something like that? Every time you touch something electrical they have to mess with the computers.
That doesn't necessarily mean that this technician knew/knows what he/she is doing.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
an internet search shows Safelite has a lot of issues with lane-sense in many cars and trucks, even foreign ones. I read at one site the guy owned a Honda and the dealer said the cost would be from $125 up to $400 to correct the problem.

Obviously Safelite is doing something wrong....my guess is they are trying to install glass with after market sensors. This is a big enough problem that should be investigated either by states or the NHTB. The guy with the Honda said his car would jerk to the right attempting to correct a false lane sensing.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Your insurance company recommended them because they are cheap. They are cheap because that is NOT factory glass they put on there. Hence, you have a problem.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Safelite will provide OEM glass when requested for an appropriate up charge. Check the windshield for the RAM emblem to indicate it is OEM glass. I would hope the dealer would check that first off when diagnosing a non-functional lane assist complaint after a windshield replacement,

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
an internet search shows Safelite has a lot of issues with lane-sense in many cars and trucks, even foreign ones. I read at one site the guy owned a Honda and the dealer said the cost would be from $125 up to $400 to correct the problem.

Obviously Safelite is doing something wrong....my guess is they are trying to install glass with after market sensors. This is a big enough problem that should be investigated either by states or the NHTB. The guy with the Honda said his car would jerk to the right attempting to correct a false lane sensing.
Why does the NTSB or the NHTSA need to get involved in AFTERMARKET parts issues? As we have discussed many, many, many times here on this forum et. al, and as I, as a professional Auto technician with 48 years under my belt have seen so prolifically as of the past 10 years or so, OE parts are THE way to go in so many instances. Glass is especially one where OE should be a no-brainer for ADAS vehicles. The DOT folks oversee aftermarket parts, anyway. And, the computer performing driving tasks on cars for folks is NOT essential. Nor is it a safety issue, per se, it is a convenience designed to cover for drivers' faux pas.

Bottom line: Someone saved money and pocketed the savings for this glass repair. Maybe, the savings is more than the sum of the part quality; perhaps the technician doesn't have the OE level skill. Maybe the OE tech where you took it is under trained. The risk level goes up when someone tries to save money in some cases. Used Airbags from a salvage yard is a horrible idea, for example.
Engineering at the manufacturing level is generally much more advanced than the wannabe aftermarket people. The massive budgets at the OE R&D level is Goliath.... Aftermarket is David without a slingshot.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Why does the NTSB or the NHTSA need to get involved in AFTERMARKET parts issues?

If the product being installed can or may cause an accident, then, yea, the NTSB should step up.

And, as i stated before, there are tons of issues about this on line, not only for Rams, but for many other vehicles...and they're all related to Safelite's installations.

You may think lane sense is just a convenience, but, if the computer auto corrects what it thinks is an error, it could have some consequences.

You said your have been a tech for 48 years...have you kept up with the latest/newest technology? They now teach that as college courses...which one have you recently attended?

If Safelite isn't properly installing the windshields correctly, or, using inferior parts, then, someone needs to address it.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like it is a polishing issue with the cheap Chinese aftermarket glass. If the glass isn’t polished correctly it may be causing the issue at hand with the calibration. Just a thought. China isn’t known for producing quality products.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the product being installed can or may cause an accident, then, yea, the NTSB should step up.

And, as i stated before, there are tons of issues about this on line, not only for Rams, but for many other vehicles...and they're all related to Safelite's installations.

You may think lane sense is just a convenience, but, if the computer auto corrects what it thinks is an error, it could have some consequences.

You said your have been a tech for 48 years...have you kept up with the latest/newest technology? They now teach that as college courses...which one have you recently attended?

If Safelite isn't properly installing the windshields correctly, or, using inferior parts, then, someone needs to address it.
Yes, I keep up with tech. Not long ago, I was travelling as a passenger with a buddy of mine on the West Sam Houston Tollway where it intersects Interstate 10. Recent construction of the interchange had been completed, and the work crews had to remove the temporary solid white stripes on the pavement which were/are traffic control devices and lane markers. They abraded them with machinery and applied the permanent marking stripes. His lane assist got confused, read the incompletely removed stripes, and had us straddling the real lanes. So, tell me something about "auto correct". Fortunately, my buddy was quick reacting, got into the correct lane, cursed the lane assist and turned it off. We completed our journey both then (on the way) and back from our task.

My most recent class has to do with FD CAN/BUS and deciphering CAN/BUS data.

As a post script: Being on line prolifically doesn't constitute NTSB interference necessarily. ADAS on the other hand, combined with autonomous cars would be the kind of safety issue for the NTSB. Wouldn't it be a cluster-f%%% if we had flying cars? Then the FAA would get involved! People would have to be FAA certified to drive cars! ;)

moof2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Camera calibration is not a simple matter and (in my opinion) should only be done at the dealership by a qualified technician. I would not trust a third party to replace a windshield that has an integrated camera.

I also wouldn't replace a windshield with anything other than OEM glass, and I would (and have) pay extra even if my insurance didn't cover the price difference. A poorly fitting windshield can develop water leaks which will create all sorts of other problems for you down the road.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Camera calibration is not a simple matter and (in my opinion) should only be done at the dealership by a qualified technician. I would not trust a third party to replace a windshield that has an integrated camera.

I also wouldn't replace a windshield with anything other than OEM glass, and I would (and have) pay extra even if my insurance didn't cover the price difference. A poorly fitting windshield can develop water leaks which will create all sorts of other problems for you down the road.
I saw the leak problem with non-OEM glass when I was with Ford.

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
As an update..... Safelite installed a second OEM windshield, but, same result. Lane Sense not working. My dealership has given up on trying to figure out just what is wrong so has ordered a new front camera. Possibly the existing one was damaged during the initial windshield replacement. It'll take a week or so to get it out here from Detroit, so will see if that takes care of the problem. Fingers crossed!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Had my windshield replaced by safelite 2-3 weeks ago on my 22 Limited (Non-oem glass), Fwd collsion avoidance/braking works (don't have lane assist), but with all the rain recently, it looks like my rain sense wipers (ie sensor) isn't working correctly, if at all. I need to get a hose out and replicate it before I head back to safelite about the problem and continue down a similar rabbit hole as others. (had the option for OEM glass, but didn't take it since it was another 2 weeks out to get the glass). Ah well... crappy service/work continues everywhere it seems.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah well... crappy service/work continues everywhere it seems.

So, my question is "What are you (We) going to do about this?". It IS overwhelming because in my own experiences of late is that folks just don't seem to give a damned.

I went into my local UPS office this past Monday to ship a couple of items to 2 different recipients. The very young girl behind the counter REALLY did ask, flatly "Yeah, what do you need". Almost sad was her voice inflection.

I told her that I needed a sunshiny greeting with a smile. I was upbeat and pleasant, and was hell bent on NOT letting her Eyore persona bring me down. I got a blank stare, and she just HAD to be little miss glum.

So, I told her what I was doing with these shipments. The first was a return to Amazon, so she merely had to scan the return label. Simple. Except I had to spell EVERYTHING! Several times.

The second involved shipping a repair manual (book) to Virginia. I had gone online and entered all the pertinent data and gotten an estimate of just under 12 dollars. She entered my info, printed a label, and told me that the shipping charges for standard ground was 15 cents shy of 20 dollars. I objected, quoting the on line information, and was met with hubris-based indifference, whereby she turned the remainder of my interaction over to an older man, obviously the manager. He commenced to self-justify and argue. I did what he wanted, eventually. I threw my hands up, acquiesced, and paid, got my receipts, asked her to point out the tracking number on the book package, and she pointed out the scanner number (the actual tracking number was tiny print that required a magnifying glass and flashlight to see!).

What am I going to do? Trade with another UPS store just a few blocks down the road, the opposite direction from my place.

It's exhausting that I find myself wrestling with store merchants all the time due to "I am indifferent" nuances held by them. Gone is the appreciation both real and portrayed by merchants. And when I confront management/ owner principals, their retort is "I can't get good help"...... SAD, but I continue to do so, and continue to get mere lip service from most. So, I implore you to watch this video. All we CAN do is improve ourselves and hope we can inspire excellence!