loud sound from the transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just broke my driveshaft and the car has been sitting for the past few days, today I ran the engine and I shifted the gear to "R", "N", and "D" perfectly without any problems, but when I shifted back to "P" there's a loud scraping sound

does it mean the trans broke or it's normal because I have no driveshaft installed yet?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without the drive shaft installed, the transmission probably wasn't stopped when you shifted into park. With the driveshaft installed, the rear brakes will spin down the trans when you press on the brake pedal. That could be the reason for the sound.

OP
OP
A

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ooh okay, that makes sense
the sound was kind of scary, I hope nothing bad happened to the trans.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ooh okay, that makes sense
the sound was kind of scary, I hope nothing bad happened to the trans.
Don't do it anymore,otherwise you will hurt the transmission.With no driveshaft,when you put it into gear,there is no way of stopping the output shaft from turning,when the engine is running,even if you put it in neutral.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It might take me a minute to figure out why someone would put a transmission into gear with no driveshaft, when I get past that I will figure out what to post. Sounds like a flex plate though, unless it was scrapping while in park, or going into park?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might take me a minute to figure out why someone would put a transmission into gear with no driveshaft, when I get past that I will figure out what to post. Sounds like a flex plate though, unless it was scrapping while in park, or going into park?
It's NOT the flexplate. It's the output shaft still spinning with no driveshaft in the truck. When he put it in park, the parking pawl struck the toothed hub with teeth for the pawl to engage to keep it from rolling when in Park. The spring loaded pawl then scudders on top of the teeth and makes a horrendous noise. I once had to rebuild a Jaguar trans and replace the housing because the owner accidentally put the trans in Park while the car was moving. His misfortune was that the pawl fully engaged a tooth and the sudden lock up of the driveline put incredible forces on the housing (aluminum) and cracked it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What happens if you shift from D to N...and then let it spin down?

OP
OP
A

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
going into park, there's no sound while its on park

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What happens if you shift from D to N...and then let it spin down?
If you pull it out of drive,and put it in neutral while the engine is running,the output shaft will start spinning.It won't spin down if the engines running and there's no driveshaft,there's to much internal drag in the transmission.