Need Help W/ Rear End Pop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered some gear oil and a lube locker gasket for the rear diff. It comes Friday, so I will open up the diff this weekend and give it a good looking over. I don't really think it's the diff but it can't hurt to inspect it

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you try lightly riding the brakes while cornering to see if that has any impact to the sound?

This action may help to narrow down where to look or, at the least, indicate another area that is not the source of your grief.

I will give that a try after work today on the way home and report back.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you, by any chance, changed the shocks lately? If you don't get the nuts on the top really tight, you can get a noise similar to what you describe. It's a bear to get a wrench on that thing.
Hey demonram,
I haven't changed the shocks recently, BUT, about 2 months ago the lower shock bolt on my passenger rear shock backed off and was way loose. I did check the shocks for play by hand when this noise started and they seem tight, but your suggestion is a good one and I will retorque the shock bolts. I wonder if the top shock bolt is loose as a result of the bottom bolt being loose. I would not be surprised! I totally forgot about that lower shock bolt being loose until you said this.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you try lightly riding the brakes while cornering to see if that has any impact to the sound?

This action may help to narrow down where to look or, at the least, indicate another area that is not the source of your grief.

It still makes the noise while riding the brakes. What does that tell us?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you visually checked everything & can’t find any issues. The clutch’s in that LSD might be bad. It’ll chatter when turning.

Have you, by any chance, changed the shocks lately? If you don't get the nuts on the top really tight, you can get a noise similar to what you describe. It's a bear to get a wrench on that thing.
The shocks are all properly torqued to 100 foot pounds, just checked.

As far as the clutches in the diff, it could definitely be that as I can't find anything loose/broken under the truck. It pretty much only makes the noise on a hard left turn at speed. I cannot seem to get it to make the noise on a hard right turn, and no noise under any other circumstances. As far as what that means, your guess is as good as mine

I'm going to open up the diff this weekend and take a look for any obvious damage like chipped teeth or metal flakes, and swap out the fluid although the fluid only has about 7k miles on it. As far as the clutches go, what should I be looking for when I open the diff? That's outside my area of knowledge

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look for any metal pieces in the bottom of the diff. In my 04, I found some metal pieces that turned out to be the clutch pack retaining clips. Talked with the Driveline shop here and was told it is a common issue with the LSD rear ends. Said they usually start to break around 80-100k miles. Not sure if that would cause your noise or not.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look for any metal pieces in the bottom of the diff. In my 04, I found some metal pieces that turned out to be the clutch pack retaining clips. Talked with the Driveline shop here and was told it is a common issue with the LSD rear ends. Said they usually start to break around 80-100k miles. Not sure if that would cause your noise or not.
Thanks! I'm at almost 177k miles so I would not be surprised if it needs some work

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you visually checked everything & can’t find any issues. The clutch’s in that LSD might be bad. It’ll chatter when turning.
Going down this line of thinking, when I replaced the gear oil about 7k miles ago I used redline 75w-140. I did not add friction modifier as I was told by redline that their gear oil already contains friction modifier. It was fine for about 6k miles and then the noise started. It seems entirely possible that the redline doesn't contain enough friction modifier. As mentioned I'm going to pull the diff cover and replace the fluid again this weekend, this time with friction modifier.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wonder if gas tank is sliding a bit? should be easy enough to tell with some prying.
check bed mount bolts and see if anything looks like its moving.
Are the rubber bumpers in the endgate?
How about running a chain to the hitch and hooking th other end to a garden tractor or? and giving it a tug sideways just enough to put side pressure on the rear end and lay under the back end to listen.
Need someone you trust pulling, and good on a clutch.

If you have rear opened, check end of axles do these use clips? I have not been in a newer one.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wonder if gas tank is sliding a bit? should be easy enough to tell with some prying.
check bed mount bolts and see if anything looks like its moving.
Are the rubber bumpers in the endgate?
How about running a chain to the hitch and hooking th other end to a garden tractor or? and giving it a tug sideways just enough to put side pressure on the rear end and lay under the back end to listen.
Need someone you trust pulling, and good on a clutch.

If you have rear opened, check end of axles do these use clips? I have not been in a newer one.
I will check the tank, I know ram extended the warranty on the gas tank strap to ten years so that is a known issue, good call!

Unfortunately it will be some time until I can get a buddy to help me with pulling sideways on the hitch etc. I do really like this idea!

I won't be able to pull the diff cover til Saturday due to work and due to not receiving the materials I need until Friday. But I do believe they use clips in some capacity

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed the new panhard bar. Old one didn't look too bad for 177k miles. Didn't make a difference in the noise. Still need to do all four trailing arms and pop the rear diff open. Was 110 when I was working on it today so can only do a bit at a time.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It still makes the noise while riding the brakes. What does that tell us?

Sorry, missed that. :cool:

It reduces the possibility of the brakes being involved. They are another moving part, subject to corrosion/buildup of gunk that could impair proper release and functionality.

Also, riding the brakes could change forces and load on wheel bearings and suspension components.

Changing the force or load could result in a variation, pitch, duration, or timing in the mystery noise and potentially help guide you to a solution.