New tires time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your budget allows, get Michelins. However, I put some on my truck and couldn't get out of my own property after a rain. Got them off and put Cooper AT3's. That was on my Dually. I have Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my 1/2 ton. Got over 90K miles on the first set. Not exaggerating. Replaced with the same. Quiet, good traction, good mileage. I have two Jeep GC's and two Rams. I either have ATPs or AT3s on them. ATPs aren't available on 18" wheels for my 2019 GC, and not available on the 17" wheels on my Dually. Great tires! Not sure what's available on 22's tho.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your budget allows, get Michelins. However, I put some on my truck and couldn't get out of my own property after a rain. Got them off and put Cooper AT3's. That was on my Dually. I have Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my 1/2 ton. Got over 90K miles on the first set. Not exaggerating. Replaced with the same. Quiet, good traction, good mileage. I have two Jeep GC's and two Rams. I either have ATPs or AT3s on them. ATPs aren't available on 18" wheels for my 2019 GC, and not available on the 17" wheels on my Dually. Great tires! Not sure what's available on 22's tho.
Getting stuck in grass on my neighbors property is why I junked the SRA's. It took 4wd low to get out of wet grass on those SRAs what a joke.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I have had good luck with Toyos. I had the highway tread on one set that were quiet and went over 60 k miles.

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate my Pirelli Scorpions. I've had them road force balanced several times, had 3 sets put on due to the inability to get them to balance. As soon as they wear out I'm going with the Falken Wildpeak A/T4W next. If that falls through KO2s. Goodyear Wranglers were good but short on traction life.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
at 33000 the oem transforce tires on my 2500 are worn thin. trying to decide between going back with a set of those or paying more for a set of coopers or the falkens. had the falken wildpeaks on my '19 laramie 1500 and they were great.

rjbar46

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 SLT Crew cab 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cooper has a new tire out and I have them on my truck. Cooper Discover Stronghold AT.
I put 315/70R17’s on and LOVE them!!! Plus a 60k tread life warranty!!!
Sams club got them for like $309 each and they are basically the same size as a 35x11.5R17 or 20.

What ever way you go, go because it is what YOU want.IMG_6546.jpeg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's an interesting (new) tire (above). Thanks for the tip.

Couple comments on previous posts:

Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires: I took a set off my H3 that were on there forever. I basically ran them till they were bald. The reason was the last two years we were in a drought, situation and so I'm like...ok what the heck?? And with "work-from-home" I could stay put if it was real snowy. Even in the little snow we had ...and they were down to the bars...they still did OK, if I drove real careful ..and I live out in the stix. They were a very good tire. Ran smooth (mine were 33" diameter), I liked them a lot. I'm sure I far exceeded the mileage expectations on those. EXCEPT: If you live in a region where you get a lot of snow...or really much snow at all, there are better tires out there for snow. I drove them through the snow plenty, but if you're in a snow region, I would look for a tire that has more gaps between the treads. The biggest issue on those tires is few sipes and narrow gaps between the tread. But otherwise, they wear like iron and held their shape and balance real well. I think they were a good rain tire too.

Bridgestone's: I used to be on the road to see customers (for yrs). I ran a lot of bridgestones on cars/suv's. I liked them a lot. I used to seek them out and have run more than a couple sets back to back. Walmart used to sell them and there was a walmart next to our office. As a brand, their quality is up there with Michelin tires IMO. I haven't run their heavier truck tires, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to.

Coopers: I used to run Cooper tires a lot but then in the late 90's early 00's I had so many problems with them, I just stopped buying them altogether for almost 20 yrs and ran Japanese tires ...or Michelins. A few yrs ago some attractive prices got me to buy 3 sets for a few trucks. I had them all road-force balanced and rim-matched. One set is E-Rated, the others, like 115T's. Yeah, I have to say, they all run out great and seem like great quality tires so far. These were the Walmart online specials. I don't regret buying them at all. Great in snow too. Plus raised white letters ...if you like that. Some of the Coopers were made in China..if that matters.

Overall I've had tremendous luck buying Japanese tires in general: Yokohama, Toyo, Bridgestones, probably a few other brands i can't think of at the moment. The issue I had with Goodyears is they seem to dry-rot quicker than the others (Michelins do too!). But if you wear them out quick enough that's a non-issue.

Good luck on your tire journey.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it fits your uses and budget, you can't go wrong with a set of Michelin's. They generally run out real smooth.

Hint: Make sure the shop has a Hunter Road Force Balancer and get a top balancing job. I would work it out with the shop when you buy them so they build "Rim-Matching" into the quote if need be. Lot of shops which have a Road Force balancer don't actually take it to the next stage and do Rim-matching...which can really reduce the number of weights. It's an especially good idea on a larger heavier truck tire. It takes more time to do for sure...so that's why you need to work it out in advance. And if it was me I'd stand there looking through the window and make sure it actually gets done. It's worth it.

A good balance job will compliment a high-quality set of tires :waytogo:
What is rim matching ? Thanks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is rim matching ? Thanks

Watch video above. It's where the balancer analyzes the rim's balance (more like, imbalance), and the same for the tire, and uses an algorithm to suggest a better balance, and lower balance score. Lower is better. (see video above). Then you 'match' the tire to the rim as suggested by the machine. In my experience the balancer's estimate is often conservative and usually you gain more than it suggests. I've seen several times where the R/F balance score was cut in half (lower is better). So it does work. Even more important on a heavy truck tire where the initial balance score could be real high. I've seen it go from 40 (where you'd likely feel a slight vibration), to less than 20 (where you likely wouldn't). So that's significant if you want a good ride.

Because it takes more work to rim match (twice the work), a lot of balance techs skip the process. And if you're standing there you'll often here, "Awww that's pretty good, you won't gain much." But not true! If you skip that process, you're missing one of the best benefits of the R/F Balancer...and only getting half your money's worth. I would always be present to discretely ensure it gets done. Techs are real sneaky at skipping good balance processes (sorry techs). And be prepared to hit the 'stop button' if it isn't. So make sure it's done...and if it costs more, it's worth paying a bit more for it, to compensate the shops extra time. Why chase down vibrations after you buy new tires??! A premium balance you get a smoother-running/riding truck. :waytogo:

Last edited: