OEM vs AfterMarket Wheels ?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark M D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Gasoline
Howdy,

Any experience or thoughts on cost, quality, reliability of Mopar OEM wheel versus several aftermarket versions? Trying to buy 2 extra wheels to have a total of 6 for off-road safety & extra rotation pair.

Hard to believe the Mopar site vs others. Can there really be a difference? One dealer wants a $50 CORE charge, too!

No luck at salvage yard so far...appreciate opinions!

$200 - Amazon OEM Knock-Off
https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Whee...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

$1007 - Mopar OEM
https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-wheel-alloy-6cv28rxfaa

$689 - Mopar Parts Giant (Is this a legit OEM parts site?)
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wheel-aluminum~6cv28rxfaa.html

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found a factory wheel on Santa Ana Wheel on E-bay about 5 years ago…$200!

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_0588.png

I see shipping has gone WAY up, mine was free…pre-Covid!

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM takeoffs are cheap and easy to find on marketplace

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say that the OEM wheels are good quality.....but no way I would spend over $2,000 for two extra wheels! Also wouldn't even pay $1,400 for a pair. If you want OEM wheels the best bet is to keep an eye on Marketplace or maybe Craigslist and find a complete set of factory take-off wheels (or a tire and wheel set). Might have to search a little while but something will eventually come up. The trouble is that PW's are not super-common and there have been a few different styles of wheels offered over the years (assuming you want a matching rim for rotations, versus just having some for spares). Just did a quick search on Marketplace and there is a set of the beadlock capable PW rims (rims only) listed for $1,000 less than an hour away, and a second set listed for $400 about 3 hours away.
You can buy a set of 6 high quality aftermarket wheels for less than just two of the OEM Mopar ones. I'm talking a set of Methods with the right backspacing from someplace like CJC. You can buy a lot of different nice wheels for around $300 or less each.

Last edited:

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting ready to put a set of Methods on my truck and will have 4 wheels available here soon. Im in Las Vegas
PM me if interested

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mark - get on OfferUp, Craigslist, & Facebook Marketplace - you can generally find a set of 4 takeoff wheel sets inexpensively compared to buying oem new - for example -

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/iCi01lEp4Kb = $400 obo for 5 Ram Rebel Wheels And Tires - the tires don’t have much tread, but would make great off-road desert spares in the back of the truck, or, have a set of your tire of choice mounted up and go - way less than an aftermarket wheel and a bunch of $ less than buying oem wheel(s).

Bamnq6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I echo the statement about Facebook Marketplace / OfferUp / Craigslist. Hell, I've even bought OEM wheels off ebay to have a full 5 wheel sets for 2 different vehicles.

When I bought the methods for my PW, I grabbed 5x from CJC Offroad.

The adventure is up to you. If you plan to stick with OEM tire sizes, I see no reason to go away from stock wheels. If you want to depart from OEM sizes, there is a big benefit to Aftermarket wheels with the correct offset...

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All depends on the look you want?
Personally, I've never seen these wheels that came on my truck on any other vehicle and I like that. l'll have these refinished before replacing them.

OP
OP
M

Mark M D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Gasoline
Thanks everyone.
Yup, totally forgot about FB Marketplace, saw a few potential OEM takeoffs there!
Will monitor Offer Up, Craigs too.

Best offer on 2 NEW OEM wheels would be $1600 including tax, shipping, & a CORE CHARGE !!!
Yikes!

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought all 4 of mine(20s)on craigslist...$400

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads