Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know how that translates, the way they express lug nut size doesn't match chart or standard known common knowledge measurements for lug thread size. M14 x1.5 mise well be in Chinese. They have models some cones some flanged, Jesus. sigh.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is the stud size either in mm or inches should lead you to the correct range using known charts. If that isn't available just using whatever gorilla says your lug nut thread size will also get you into the range using a chart. This is all I know on the subject. Used my torque sticks 140 ft pounds, and I called it a day.. I will update if the wheels come off and I'm still alive.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what are we liking filter wise? Texas Speed said 15w50 Mobil 1 in my 408. 15 years ago The Wix truck filter is what we all used. I was thinking XP but you guys know your stuff.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
'K - I checked some supplier torque charts, and the 130-140 ft-lbs torque is correct. IF you have 14mm lugs.

It took me a bit because these are fine threaded, not coarse. Coarse is not used in industrial applications, so took me a while to dig out M14x1.5 pitch. Coarse (standard) is M14x2

My guess is the strength class is 8.8 according to the charts, and this makes sense to me. That's what I'd spec for design for a number of reasons I won't drone on about.

Don't know where you got your chart, but it's not correct for lug nuts.

We now rejoin our oil filter discussion already in progress.........

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Some folks have opted from Royal Purple oil filters to the FRAM XG Ultra Synthetic or FRAM FE SYNTHETIC Endurance.

I'm currently using the Purolator Boss.

Yeah, from what we've been able to dig up so far, Fram XG was cheapened and replaced by Fram FE Endurance.

There is conflicting data on Purolator Boss - an online test guy showed high filtration efficiency, but a test by a certified lab did not. The lab showed a very coarse rock catcher like a Wix. I kind of believe this because the flow rate matched that of a Wix.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yeah, from what we've been able to dig up so far, Fram XG was cheapened and replaced by Fram FE Endurance.

There is conflicting data on Purolator Boss - an online test guy showed high filtration efficiency, but a test by a certified lab did not. The lab showed a very coarse rock catcher like a Wix. I kind of believe this because the flow rate matched that of a Wix.

I picked up a FRAM FE 10575 SYNTHETIC Endurance at Wal-"mark" earlier today, same equivalent to the Royal Purple 20-500 ... I'mma gonna cut it open and take a look see.

I'll post a few pics later.

Attachments

• IMG_20240628_164652441.jpg
    IMG_20240628_164652441.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240628_164729787.jpg
    IMG_20240628_164729787.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
'K - I checked some supplier torque charts, and the 130-140 ft-lbs torque is correct. IF you have 14mm lugs.

It took me a bit because these are fine threaded, not coarse. Coarse is not used in industrial applications, so took me a while to dig out M14x1.5 pitch. Coarse (standard) is M14x2

My guess is the strength class is 8.8 according to the charts, and this makes sense to me. That's what I'd spec for design for a number of reasons I won't drone on about.

Don't know where you got your chart, but it's not correct for lug nuts.

We now rejoin our oil filter discussion already in progress.........
So another thing M14 is supposed to mean 14mm? Just add to the confusion because 14m is meter not mm, especially since most charts don't include 14mm. So what is 14mm in inches? This place has 14mm stud as 85-95, and that cant be right? what the simple kf is going on. knowing more about threads is gonna help with filters.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yea, M14 means 14 mm thread diameter = 0.5511811024 inch

M stands for metric.
The number is millimeters.
The 2nd number is thread pitch in mm linear movement per 1 turn.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yea, M14 means 14 mm thread diameter = 0.5511811024 inch

M stands for metric.
The number is millimeters.
The 2nd number is thread pitch in mm linear movement per 1 turn.
so 14mm is basically 1/2 inch and all the charts say the same thing for 14mm and 1/2 inch. Clearly something is wrong. It isn't pertaining to my two vehicles so I leave it there, but I'd look into it if my OEM 14mm said 130ft pounds, something is wrong there somewhere.

Section_XXXXL_ce732582-1258-44c6-a75d-5a5b3b6a1c52.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No, they don't include the strength class.

SAE English bolt strengths are Grade 2, 5, 8, 12?
Torque goes up for each.
Grade 2 is a commercial steel bolt.
Grade 5 is an alloy steel voltage.
Grade 8 is a heat treated alloy steel bolt.
They are spec'd based on clamp force needed within the space available.
To get the higher clamp loads available with the stronger steels requires higher torques.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, they don't include the strength class.

SAE English bolt strengths are Grade 2, 5, 8, 12?
Torque goes up for each.
Grade 2 is a commercial steel bolt.
Grade 5 is an alloy steel voltage.
Grade 8 is a heat treated alloy steel bolt.
They are spec'd based on clamp force needed within the space available.
To get the higher clamp loads available with the stronger steels requires higher torques.
If you buy Gorilla lugs, who do you listen to, gorilla or OEM specs? Because for your 14 x 1.5 gorilla recommends like 95ftpnd and OEM says what you showed 130. To be honest from what I have seen it is only that size where there is bad info, the standard Toyota sizing is 75ft pounds and most of the larger size are 130ftpnd, but the 14mm is completely whack.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nope - it's not just 14mm. Either engineers today don't know what they're doing (suspect), or they're using the wrong tables. I could calculate this by hand without looking up T=c*d*F, and we designed the F load.

Anyway, 14mm (0.5512 inch) is closer to 9/16" (0.5625 inch) than 1/2" (0.5000 inch). So look in the SAE Fine Thread table below (the bottom table) at 9/16" threads. Go from left to right from weakest to strongest grade of steel. Torque specs are not constant for a single thread size! They range from 73 ft-lbs to 201 ft-lbs.

You HAVE TO know what type of steel the bolt has. Or you'll under-torque, risking it coming apart, or over-torque and snap the bolt head off. Or hope to god the junior engineer assigned to the task has someone somewhere guiding them. That is usually no longer the case anymore.

Addendum: this chart is from Fastenal, a major worldwide fastener supplier. We used them almost exclusively at one point - no counterfeit issues.
Also I see I'm obsolete, no surprise, SAE Grade 2 has become ASTM 307A, and what the high grade was is now FNL Grade 9, used by aerospace and military.

1719620967336.png

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, everyone has to figure it out, if you have after market lugs what do you torque them too, OEM specs or their specs, chances are they are different, lol. man, crazy??

Two steels are involved, lug nut and lug bolt. Now, I am over torqued? I'm glad I asked, but fell into something crahazy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, everyone has to figure it out, if you have after market lugs what do you torque them too, OEM specs or their specs, chances are they are different, lol. man, crazy??

Two steels are involved, lug nut and lug bolt. Now, I am over torqued? I'm glad I asked, but fell into something crahazy.

Your only choice is to point out the discrepancy between industrial bolt torque specs with theirs, and ask why.

More important is to look at your O&M Manual. If that torque spec differs from a vendor's, don't use the vendor's parts - because they don't clamp the wheel to the hub tight enough (unless the vendor can claim they are so highly lubricated their recommended torque spec will produce the same clamp load as dry threads with the O&M torque spec).

That's all I got for you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
so 14mm is basically 1/2 inch and all the charts say the same thing for 14mm and 1/2 inch. Clearly something is wrong. It isn't pertaining to my two vehicles so I leave it there, but I'd look into it if my OEM 14mm said 130ft pounds, something is wrong there somewhere.

View attachment 545758
130 to 140 lb-ft covers both flanged and cone M14-1.5 wheel nuts by my 700 page manual.
Cone calls for 120 to 140 lb-ft
Flanged calls for 130 to 160 lb-ft

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your only choice is to point out the discrepancy between industrial bolt torque specs with theirs, and ask why.

More important is to look at your O&M Manual. If that torque spec differs from a vendor's, don't use the vendor's parts - because they don't clamp the wheel to the hub tight enough (unless the vendor can claim they are so highly lubricated their recommended torque spec will produce the same clamp load as dry threads with the O&M torque spec).

That's all I got for you.
I wouldnt mind using oem, except for the oem are capped lug nuts and are straight shiet.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
McGard, I think my next set of lugs made in USA, states to use the manu's torque numbers.

3. Tighten lug nuts in a progressive crisscross pattern to the recommende

d installation torque found in your vehicle owner’s manual. For best results, use a torque wrench and socket for final tightening.
Notice: Impact guns usually cannot be set and/or maintain proper pressure to obtain proper installation torque and should not be used for lug nut installation. Use of an impact wrench can result in uneven or over tightening of lug nuts, which could damage studs, wheels or distort brake rotors.

4. Re-torque the lug nuts after 25 miles of driving.