Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Nope - it's not just 14mm. Either engineers today don't know what they're doing (suspect), or they're using the wrong tables. I could calculate this by hand without looking up T=c*d*F, and we designed the F load.

Anyway, 14mm (0.5512 inch) is closer to 9/16" (0.5625 inch) than 1/2" (0.5000 inch). So look in the SAE Fine Thread table below (the bottom table) at 9/16" threads. Go from left to right from weakest to strongest grade of steel. Torque specs are not constant for a single thread size! They range from 73 ft-lbs to 201 ft-lbs.

You HAVE TO know what type of steel the bolt has. Or you'll under-torque, risking it coming apart, or over-torque and snap the bolt head off. Or hope to god the junior engineer assigned to the task has someone somewhere guiding them. That is usually no longer the case anymore.

Addendum: this chart is from Fastenal, a major worldwide fastener supplier. We used them almost exclusively at one point - no counterfeit issues.
Also I see I'm obsolete, no surprise, SAE Grade 2 has become ASTM 307A, and what the high grade was is now FNL Grade 9, used by aerospace and military.

View attachment 545776

Oh, man thanks for that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Google is your friend, but you have to know legit sites from crackpots.
Fastenal is tops.
SAE makes you pay a high buck subscription, as does ASTM.
We had those at work.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some folks have opted from Royal Purple oil filters to the FRAM XG Ultra Synthetic or FRAM FE SYNTHETIC Endurance.

I'm currently using the Purolator Boss.
That is what I ran in my hemi ram the entire time I had it. Thats the filter I used in my wifes jeep. Even with the design change it is still a great filter.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Capital One shopping pointed me to zoro.com (online direct to consumer division of Grainger) for Purolator Boss Purolator PBL24651 for $11.25 free shipping on orders over $50 and capital one gave me 8% back rewards. :33: Keep ya'll posted

I just checked the 2 Boss filters in my garage waiting to be put to use.
Both have the newer style bypass valve. I was really hoping he would
show us a UOA on the oil and newer boss filter to see if the insoluble
counts were comparable. I guess the media is the important part,
especially if the filter never needs to go into bypass anyway.

I'm typically doing 5k miles OCI. Certainly not 18k.

Hey @Black1500Ram what do you think? Does the old bypass valve
look like 14mm to you? :rofl:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, Fram got sold (again) to "First Brands" which is nothing but a vulture capital holding company interested in milking profits from OG companies.

They "helped" Fram get more profit by cheapening original Ultra XG filter, and launching Endurance FE which is basically the original Ultra XG, from what I've read.
And first brands got bought up by champion which is why they launched thr endurance filter line

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
@Travis8352

From what I see, First Brands Group LLC owns ALL of them, except they changed their holding company name yet again to tricoproducts. jfc See what I mean about Rollerball?

I'm gonna get off my lazy *** and post a few pics of the FRAM FE 10575 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter for viewing.(@HEMIMANN in mind)

... It surely does look like an extremely good oil filter, almost carbon copy of the Royal Purple 20-500, even though it has two less "holes" in the base plate.

I like it better than the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance(larger oil filter) but can't use it, with the OEM clearance my HEMI has.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm gonna get off my lazy *** and post a few pics of the FRAM FE 10575 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter for viewing.(@HEMIMANN in mind)

... It surely does look like an extremely good oil filter, almost carbon copy of the Royal Purple 20-500, even though it has two less "holes" in the base plate.

I like it better than the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance(larger oil filter) but can't use it, with the OEM clearance my HEMI has.

I would use the FE2 if I could, it is too big to clear the goofy multiplex lower coolant hose. But I have a Ram 2500 and 6.4L Hemi - I thought the FE2 fit all Ram 1500's?

Strange. My next oil change is end November, so I won't see one for a while. Going with FE10575.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I would use the FE2 if I could, it is too big to clear the goofy multiplex lower coolant hose. But I have a Ram 2500 and 6.4L Hemi - I thought the FE2 fit all Ram 1500's?

Strange. My next oil change is end November, so I won't see one for a while. Going with FE10575.

Yep, the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter will fit my HEMI(Royal Purple 20-820 equivalent), sorry If I made confusion. The FRAM FE 10575 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter is the equivalent to the Royal Purple 20-500.

I don't have the Royal Purple 20-500 oil filter that I had cut open awhile back, but am using visual comparison to the Royal Purple 20-820, they are extremely the same in quality and construction.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Yes, the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance fits the 1500 HEMI RAM.

And yep, good choice. I'm not afraid of using an FRAM SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter, and may still do so on my next oci ...

Last edited: