Other 10 Ply Tire Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.something
You have the Firestone Transforce and the Michelin Defender….. those are the two most popular I think.

Are there any other 10 ply truck tires made by other slightly less popular companies, like Cooper, General, Toyo etc that anyone wants to recommend?

For what it’s worth I have a pick up truck camper in the bed and drive a lot of highway miles……

Thank you!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep. What you're really looking for are load range E tires. They are the 10ply equivalent. Cooper Discoverer AT3s are my favorite. Ran them on my dually and before that, on my 2500. I currently have Michelin Defenders and no complaints on those. My 3500 had Transforce before the Discoverers and I didn't like them.

These two are also "10-ply/Load Range E" options:
BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2
Falken Wildpeak AT3W

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Highest rated (Tire Rack) AT Load Range E were General Grabber ATX and Falken AT3.

I had Generals, they were great. You get about 30,000 miles out of the software rubber.

Now that I'm older and no longer go into the bush much, I switched to highway tires, Michelin Defender was out of stock around here, and Michelin has had issues with balance, delaminating, and out of round the past 5 years or so (don't get @Burla started on this).

I'm trying a Goodyear commercial tire that was highly rated in tire rack, Wrangler Workhorse HT. It is meant for contractors. So far, so good. I had Goodyear RV tires and much preferred them to Michelin. It seems Goodyear can make a good commercial truck / bus / RV tire, but not a consumer tire.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What size btw? Some tire sizes are more popular than others. What's your estimated rear tire weight?

If you drive a lot of miles you can't go wrong with value and longevity of the major tire companies like you mentioned. On my vehicles at the moment, I have the Walmart special Cooper 10 ply tires (similar to below) ...for a couple yrs (on a GM tk). They were a great buy on sale at the time. So far so good. I like them. They ride nice, quiet, not really stiff or anything. I also have Hankook Dynapro A/T II's on another vehicle. They're a larger and more aggressive tire than the Coopers. Choppier and stiffer..but that's by design. Great tread though. The Coopers ride better, but they are different tires/sizes/vehicles. I've had other E-rated tires too in the past. They all seemed to work pretty good. I wasn't hauling heavy loads very often though.

HERE are the Coopers 'similar' to what I have. They are 123T. You may need a 126 depending on the weight of your camper. They're kind of a walmart exclusive. I had mine installed and Road Force Balanced at a different shop though. That's a class-A balance job...and that's the other half of getting new tires -- a good balance job!

HERE is a cheap set...I don't have experience with, but just saw on their website.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah...good point HemiMan. Commercial tires might be the best long-term value for a heavy camper. If it's a real heavy camper. They are going to cost more up front, maybe a lot more. But if they wear like iron???

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also OP....do you drive/camp far from home? Like cross country? If so, you might want to stick with a retailer you can easily get service from while on the road. A Discount Tire, Goodyear, Firestone, etc. I've used Bridgestone HD tires and they were great. I almost think Bridgestones (avail at Firestone..and Walmart), are up there with Michelin, at least in my experience. Continentals too. Pirelli also good IME.

When I was on the road a lot yrs ago, there was a time I only bought Bridgestone [car] tires for several yrs. That's all I bought...at Walmart. And they were fantastic. So maybe there's value of sticking with a Tier-1 brand, if you do cross-country motoring/camping. And I don't think I would include Coopers on that list. Maybe? But if money was no object, I'd go with major brand. Not that Coopers aren't good, but I'm not sure they're quite a Tier-1 tire/brand. I've had a few issues with Coopers, but that was 20 years ago too. ....Although I currently have 3 sets of Coop's on various trucks now..which run out great. But then all my driving is pretty much local now. Just thinking out loud here...

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Highest rated (Tire Rack) AT Load Range E were General Grabber ATX and Falken AT3.

I had Generals, they were great. You get about 30,000 miles out of the software rubber.

Now that I'm older and no longer go into the bush much, I switched to highway tires, Michelin Defender was out of stock around here, and Michelin has had issues with balance, delaminating, and out of round the past 5 years or so (don't get @Burla started on this).

I'm trying a Goodyear commercial tire that was highly rated in tire rack, Wrangler Workhorse HT. It is meant for contractors. So far, so good. I had Goodyear RV tires and much preferred them to Michelin. It seems Goodyear can make a good commercial truck / bus / RV tire, but not a consumer tire.
I like yogurt and I like yogurt cups as they bring me that tasty treat, I also like tires, especially big bad heavy duty tires. I really don't care about how much r&d they do, I don't care about their so called science, I don't care about their marketing, or their reputation, or any captain-save-a-ho goals of these completely woke corporations. I have never once in my life while eating my yogurt that man these yogurt cups are really gonna make my 10ply bfg's way better. Right now Toyota who did something in the same ilk has recalled their replacement of the reliable v8 for this mr-save-a-ho goals, and one thing is for sure, we will never know the truth about the recall. So when someone trusts yogurt cups tires, good luck to you I hope it doesn't bite you or some other innocent person on the road, but if it does I can safely say they will never tell the truth that yogurt cups do not belong in tires that go up and down in pressure for a lifespan. Dimes to donuts, they will blame the truck owner, oh that guy had poor maintenance when those yogurt cups tires implode.

OP
OP
S

Sped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.something
Ok ….

I will clarify a few things. First of all the tire size is 275/70 18.

Also, yes, I drive the wheels off the truck. Tons and tons of highway driving. I’m all over the country……

When you guys are talking about commercial grade tires, are you talking about the Defenders/Transforce?
Or are you talking about something else that I’m completely unaware of?

Finally …. The Michelin’s were sold to me as if they were going to be the best, most long lasting tire, I have absolutely not found that to be the case. And they were expensive as hell. I’ve done much better with the Transforce.

I’m looking to not spend 1200+ dollars for four new tires. I was just wondering if other companies made load rated E, 10 ply tires that they were pleased with. I’m not looking for any aggressive tread pattern, but more of a smooth highway ride.

I’ve been running E rated tires on that truck and camper for 10+ years and I find a load rating E to be ideal……

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really don't care about how much r&d they do, I don't care about their so called science, I don't care about their marketing, or their reputation, or any captain-save-a-ho goals of these completely woke corporations.

Unfortunately all that stuff matters. A great deal. Otherwise no company would do it. A company which can't keep up, keep advancing tech or mfrg techniques, produce a good quality product at a competitive price, will go out of business. That's not 'woke' it's just plain the facts of staying afloat in business.

I've had really good luck with just about all the Japanese tire brands, Goodyears and Michelin. Maybe the Michelins with problems you had, were a bad batch or not installed/balanced well, ...maybe there was an alignment issue with the truck? Who knows? Generally Michelin is the best. That's probably why they're #1 by a wide margin ...and theyre not cheap. I've personally never had a bad Michelin tire, and they ran smooth as butter and wore well. So has my dad and everyone I know who's run Michelins. Yeah, they're expensive, but they lasted a long time. But Bridgestones/Pirelli's, Yokohama's even the better Goodyears have worked out great for me. And I used to put a lot of miles on! I've run some no-namers. Sometimes they work out great, othertimes inconsistent results.

Are you (OP) leaning towards a certain tire now? Do you usually buy your tires at the same place/s?

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I like yogurt and I like yogurt cups as they bring me that tasty treat, I also like tires, especially big bad heavy duty tires. I really don't care about how much r&d they do, I don't care about their so called science, I don't care about their marketing, or their reputation, or any captain-save-a-ho goals of these completely woke corporations. I have never once in my life while eating my yogurt that man these yogurt cups are really gonna make my 10ply bfg's way better. Right now Toyota who did something in the same ilk has recalled their replacement of the reliable v8 for this mr-save-a-ho goals, and one thing is for sure, we will never know the truth about the recall. So when someone trusts yogurt cups tires, good luck to you I hope it doesn't bite you or some other innocent person on the road, but if it does I can safely say they will never tell the truth that yogurt cups do not belong in tires that go up and down in pressure for a lifespan. Dimes to donuts, they will blame the truck owner, oh that guy had poor maintenance when those yogurt cups tires implode.

There he goes!!! :D

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah...good point HemiMan. Commercial tires might be the best long-term value for a heavy camper. If it's a real heavy camper. They are going to cost more up front, maybe a lot more. But if they wear like iron???

Workhorse HT was about the same as Michelin Defender price. I tow a travel trailer and a contractor utility trailer with my Ram 2500.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I'm liking my Toyo AT3's (replaced the OEM Toyo AT2 on my '17).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately all that stuff matters. A great deal. Otherwise no company would do it. A company which can't keep up, keep advancing tech or mfrg techniques, produce a good quality product at a competitive price, will go out of business. That's not 'woke' it's just plain the facts of staying afloat in business.

I've had really good luck with just about all the Japanese tire brands, Goodyears and Michelin. Maybe the Michelins with problems you had, were a bad batch or not installed/balanced well, ...maybe there was an alignment issue with the truck? Who knows? Generally Michelin is the best. That's probably why they're #1 by a wide margin ...and theyre not cheap. I've personally never had a bad Michelin tire, and they ran smooth as butter and wore well. So has my dad and everyone I know who's run Michelins. Yeah, they're expensive, but they lasted a long time. But Bridgestones/Pirelli's, Yokohama's even the better Goodyears have worked out great for me. And I used to put a lot of miles on! I've run some no-namers. Sometimes they work out great, othertimes inconsistent results.

Are you (OP) leaning towards a certain tire now? Do you usually buy your tires at the same place/s?
I only had michlelins for the life of my rav 4, defenders were great, crosstecks or whatever they are called are even better. my current set, wow grippy in the rain, big wow. I'm just not using recycled plastic tires until they are the only choice, then I am all in. To each his own on that.

As for Goodyear's, we will have to disagree. The worst tires I ever had, two sets as well, on the Jeep and the ram, puke.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I only had michlelins for the life of my rav 4, defenders were great, crosstecks or whatever they are called are even better. my current set, wow grippy in the rain, big wow. I'm just not using recycled plastic tires until they are the only choice, then I am all in. To each his own on that.

As for Goodyear's, we will have to disagree. The worst tires I ever had, two sets as well, on the Jeep and the ram, puke.

Commercial tires?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My yogurt cup tires on my Ram and my wife's Armada have helped us to slim some weight off the vehicles, and we've picked up about .5 mpg to boot from the weight savings. (joking) These yogurt cups have about 30k miles on them right now and ride like a dream. They tow well, wear perfectly even, etc... I have zero issues with them. They are still over 1/2 tread as well.

On a travel trailer, the Goodyear endurance is about THE best tire on the market. I had a set swapped onto my TT on the way home from purchasing it. Unfortunately there just aren't many good ones on the market. If I were going to a 14 ply tire, I'd stick with Sailun S637s, but I no longer need that kind of load range.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok ….

I will clarify a few things. First of all the tire size is 275/70 18.

Also, yes, I drive the wheels off the truck. Tons and tons of highway driving. I’m all over the country……

When you guys are talking about commercial grade tires, are you talking about the Defenders/Transforce?
Or are you talking about something else that I’m completely unaware of?

Finally …. The Michelin’s were sold to me as if they were going to be the best, most long lasting tire, I have absolutely not found that to be the case. And they were expensive as hell. I’ve done much better with the Transforce.

I’m looking to not spend 1200+ dollars for four new tires. I was just wondering if other companies made load rated E, 10 ply tires that they were pleased with. I’m not looking for any aggressive tread pattern, but more of a smooth highway ride.

I’ve been running E rated tires on that truck and camper for 10+ years and I find a load rating E to be ideal……
I think my set was 295/70/18, but I know it as 34's and they were bfg 10 ply and under a grand. Got a Costco nearby? They did everything but sensors for under a grand, balance etc. They didn't do alignment, I don't think they do that, but it was a replacement of what was already there so I'm rolling without that. Costco will special order bfg, and the best time is when they run a sale on that brand.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My yogurt cup tires on my Ram and my wife's Armada have helped us to slim some weight off the vehicles, and we've picked up about .5 mpg to boot from the weight savings. (joking) These yogurt cups have about 30k miles on them right now and ride like a dream. They tow well, wear perfectly even, etc... I have zero issues with them. They are still over 1/2 tread as well.

On a travel trailer, the Goodyear endurance is about THE best tire on the market. I had a set swapped onto my TT on the way home from purchasing it. Unfortunately there just aren't many good ones on the market. If I were going to a 14 ply tire, I'd stick with Sailun S637s, but I no longer need that kind of load range.
They are probably not out yet, they said at best it would be some time in 2024, but you know how that goes. Unless you know for a fact? Which leads me to ask the question, will all their tires gonna be yogurt cups tires or will some be, will the give you options and inform customers or just do the information blackout thing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Last note would be a question, what the heck is wrong with rubber? From Michelin, rubber is a super tree for the environment, uses few fertilizers or poisons and captures carbon. Wanna be blown away, this is so good and beneficial do we really need recycled plastic? We should recycle plastic, best filler anywhere, probably would make great insulation, but tires?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think my set was 295/70/18, but I know it as 34's and they were bfg 10 ply and under a grand. Got a Costco nearby? They did everything but sensors for under a grand, balance etc. They didn't do alignment, I don't think they do that, but it was a replacement of what was already there so I'm rolling without that. Costco will special order bfg, and the best time is when they run a sale on that brand.

And, our Costco in Canada is about the only place that provides a free road hazard guarantee on the tires.

That's fantastic if you pick up a nail or other puncturing item, especially when it's too close to the treadblock and can't be repaired.

If you have only light wear, the pro-rated amount was almost the entire replacement cost.

PS; I don't know if the US Costco still has this feature but it's worth checking.
I'd pay a few $ more for a tire with a road hazard guarantee. :cool: