Other 10 Ply Tire Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.something
Again….. are Transforce and Defender “commercial tires”?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Transforce are considered commercial tires. For Michelin, their Agilis Crossclimate are classified as commercial.

Don't get hung up on commercial/regular tires. I've yet to see the real benefit of running commercial tires on these trucks. Any good quality load range E tire is all you need and should give you years and tens of thousands of miles of trouble free service. I had 30k miles on my Discoverer A/Ts when I sold the dually truck and they were over 1/2 tread remaining. 3/4 of those miles were towing a 16.5k trailer.

A high quality set of tires is going to cost, so if quality is important you may have to worry less about cost.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I carried a large truck camper on a one ton truck all over the Country for a few years. Including over 600 miles of gravel before the trans Labrador was paved. The truck always rode on BFG Commercial TA's. I can HONESTLY say that I never had any type of an issue with those tires. No balance or wear problems. Got excellent wear mileage out of them. Good wet road performance. I did rotate them religiously and paid attention to pressure which was run near Max with the weight I was carrying. The camper has been gone for many years but the same tires are still running strong on the truck which admittedly see's only work truck use now. It is my second truck now as my RAM functions as my daily driver.

Uncle Damo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running Kenda Klever R/T's which are E rated 10 ply, at least in 35x12.5x20 size. They are aggressive but road noise is similar to various A/T's I've run. I've had excellent performance towing the toyhauler and in light mud/snow, but that does come at a small mileage penalty. Chalk test has me running at 32psi empty which gives a very nice compliant ride. So far wearing very well and even. Bonus is that they're less $ than many other brands.

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4 and 2021 Dodge Durango
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the BFG KOs for years and kept them at 40 PSI, higher when fully loaded. Found the ride harsher and tires get slippery on wet pavement when about 1/2 worn. Switched to Cooper AS3 4s, nicer ride but lower carrying weight of course. I rarely need the E tires any more.

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
Hundreds of opinions..I'm sure..so here's another. I have an older RAM, 02 2500 w/manual trans. I do ocassional auto towing, landscape hauling and more often than not..daily driver. I went with MasterCraft Status 10ply. They've been on for 20k w/ no problems. I believe MasterCraft is a second tier company owned or manufactured by Cooper Tire. Other big name brand 10ply were ridiculous in cost. So this purchase was purely driven by personal economics. However with that said, I have had no issues with these tires. I rotate every 7k, during an oil change at 3.5k miles. They have worn well..no balance issues..clipping..cracking..etc. My tire guy states life span should be 60k ave., maybe 80k if maintained, rotated, inflated and inspected as needed. Hope this helps ya.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
Like others, I have tried several brands but have settled for the Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I get great mileage out of them, never had any quality issues, are 10 ply and decent grip in both rain and snow. I tow my 16,000 lb 5th wheel yearly over three passes in October and flat high temp highways in July.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
When I bought my new to me 2016 2500 6.7 it had Toyo's on it only about maybe 40% worn. All kinds of issues with them, which previously I'd had good luck with Toyo's on other trucks/SUV's. Went to BFG KO's and truck rides as it should. Didn't want to spend the money, but glad I did afterwards when the issues were gone.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve ran the mich before & got 65000 miles . Running a gen now, no FS.

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Ok ….

I will clarify a few things. First of all the tire size is 275/70 18.

Also, yes, I drive the wheels off the truck. Tons and tons of highway driving. I’m all over the country……

When you guys are talking about commercial grade tires, are you talking about the Defenders/Transforce?
Or are you talking about something else that I’m completely unaware of?

Finally …. The Michelin’s were sold to me as if they were going to be the best, most long lasting tire, I have absolutely not found that to be the case. And they were expensive as hell. I’ve done much better with the Transforce.

I’m looking to not spend 1200+ dollars for four new tires. I was just wondering if other companies made load rated E, 10 ply tires that they were pleased with. I’m not looking for any aggressive tread pattern, but more of a smooth highway ride.

I’ve been running E rated tires on that truck and camper for 10+ years and I find a load rating E to be ideal……
I have used LT275/70R18 E on trucks since 2005 with varying problems. First were OE Continentals (same company as General) on 2005 F250 - started chunking out pieces of tread after about 4 years. Dealer said common problem (which I can verify on same tires in 235/85R16) - no warranty unless I replaced with Continentals.
Ford dealer recommended Goodyear AT - blistered one at half tread (sorry no warranty on truck tires per Ford dealer).
Switched to Michelin LTX - never any problem. 2005 F250 diesel problem - traded for 2015 RAM 2500 LTD with Firestone Transforce AT - couldnt get out of a minor mud situation.
Switched to Michelin (LTX no longer available - only "Defender") - actually better in same mud despite highway tread but never could get one balanced.
Truck totalled by tree in Hurricane Ida.
Replaced with 2022 RAM 3500 Longhorn with Firestone Transforce HT (why would you put a Highway Tread on a 4WD?) - Immediately switched to Cooper Discoverer AT3/XLT (just before Goodyear bought Cooper) - so far very happy with Coopers on and off road.
As to going up in Load Range, be careful as to Speed Range - most of the F and G Load Ratings as well as some of the more aggressive tread patterns even in Load Range E tend to be lower speed range - my Coopers are Load Range 125 and Speed Rating "S" (112 mph). You can also find some Load Range E tires rated "T" (118 mph), but you can also find them with Load Range "Q" (99 mph) and "R" (106 mph).
As to going up in size, check clearance and be aware your speedometer will read lower than actual speed - and remember that other components, not just tires affect load capacity.

Taifun7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm sure by now after reading what everybody and their brother had to say about past and present experience's regarding E-Load range tires your head is swimming along with your eye's rolling around in your head like a Kewpie Doll. Don't over think the situation. A good name brand tire out there along with knowledgeable service tech's can direct you toward some great tires.

Taifun7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Oh by the way I forgot to mention. I had a 2007 2500 2wd 4dr cab short bed with a 6.7 liter Cummins Turbo diesel that I used for towing with E-load range tires. Good name brand tire with a good load range ( always go up in recommended load range never down ) and speed rating and you'll be fine.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trans force tires are terrible.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
You have the Firestone Transforce and the Michelin Defender….. those are the two most popular I think.

Are there any other 10 ply truck tires made by other slightly less popular companies, like Cooper, General, Toyo etc that anyone wants to recommend?

For what it’s worth I have a pick up truck camper in the bed and drive a lot of highway miles……

Thank you!
Hercules tires have the best warranty of any tire I know. If the tire fails to deliver the stated expected miles they refund the pro rated difference in cash! I have had three sets and I have been pleased. And yes on one set I got 40,000 miles when it stated 60,000 miles and they refunded the difference. Of course I continued to buy this br. This is a little known brand, but I will buy them over any other brand. In the past I have tried brands that others said were so good and I found they wore out in less that 35,000. I now have 155,000 miles in my 17 RAM 1500.

Skid_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HANKOOK DYNAPRO AT2.
Ran these tires for years towing a trailer and driving on gravel roads.
Great tires.
The LT are 10 ply.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had great luck on a set of Hercules tires too. AT load E rated. Get this...they lasted almost 20 years to the month!! ....on a GM truck, before I replaced them with the Coopers AT E-rated tires. :D They were getting pretty dry-rotted during the last 3-4 years, and just about not that safe the last year. But overall, they didn't dry-rot nearly as quickly as, say, Goodyear's or Michelin's I've had (figure 5-6yrs on those till they dry rot), and ran out great their entire life. So whatever the compound Hercules used (back then anyway), it held up to the elements. And they wore like iron.

It was a truck I seldom drove the last few yrs, mostly locally between properties, up to our local small town and around locally. But the truck sat outside ever single day. I measure tire life on a geologic scale ...lol. We looked up the mfg date the day we were swapping them out and the tire guy was in disbelief. Heck the tires were almost as old as he was! Somewhere I have a picture I took of the tires/date. I don't recommend doing that, but the point is, they were a real good tire all those years and a number of times I really put a good load on them hauling this big item or that. I would have bought another set but there wasn't a local dealer and the (on sale) Walmart Coop's were about 1/2 price. We'll see how the Coopers hold up now....

Last edited: