Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,004 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 667 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of promise, oil geeks video, looks like restore helps bottom of rings and si-1 cleans the rings from the top

We will see. These engines are everywhere for 100 to 600 dollars. I found more than 62 pages on CarParts.com.... a salvage consortium. It was a lot of work to replace, so I was nit-picky about which one to use.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
True. Gummed up ring lands are a tbing with GDI, it seems.
Yes with gasoline cause it can't be injected @ high enough pressure to atomize it, and there isn't enough time for atomization injecting directly instead of in intake ports.
GDI is only good for light load lean burn conditions. It's inefficient as hell under load.
Some engine makers are finally using dual injectors as there should have been from the beginning of gasoline GDI.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of promise, oil geeks video, looks like restore helps bottom of rings and si-1 cleans the rings from the top

Gonna try this oil on my daily. Got 5 quarts and a WixXP filter for it for $37. Currently its running SS 0w20 and running butter smooth on it too, but an oil change using that and an Amsoil filter is about double the cost of the Valvoline R&R. If its still running good on it Ill just keep using it. Either way Ill report back.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RIP the straight bad boy Rufus Parnelli Jones. One of his vehicles was almost as popular as he was, Google "Big Oly", if you don't know of his work. Dude drove anything from Indy rockets to pikes and Baja machines. Big oly was unbeatable with Parnelli behind the wheel, maybe one if not the only famous race vehicle ever.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So, who wants a new Tundra??

We were talking about that the other day, sorry machining debris? I'm not buying that. Those engines are made in the USA, I just cant believe they would leave widespread debris in new engines. Scapegoat.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So, who wants a new Tundra??

Um fellas< I looked up the oil spec for the tundra page 548 or close in their owners manual. Yup 0w20, lol. IF 0w20 isn't available, only 5w20 will do. 348hp high taching turbo taking 0w20 but lets blame it on manufacturing down in Alabama. Just like last post on ram tanking it on purpose, makes you wonder? In that post he says oil film on nearing is the issue, but rather then blame thin oil be says debris. There is no way guys are not washing fresh cut blocks, that is their job.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Kind of interesting that the hybrid motors are fine? Hmmm.

They're not fine either. The hybrid has enough power to get you off the road when your bearings leave the chat, so that's why it's non included in the recall, its not a safety issue (to them).

So yeah. I bet hybrid owners love it that they're getting no support from toyota, one day you're pulling your trailer for vacation and its game over.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Um fellas< I looked up the oil spec for the tundra page 548 or close in their owners manual. Yup 0w20, lol. IF 0w20 isn't available, only 5w20 will do. 348hp high teaching turbo taking 0w20 but lets blame it on manufacturing down in Alabama. Just like last post on ram tanking it on purpose, makes you wonder? In that post he says oil film on nearing is the issue, but rather then blame thin oil be says debris. There is no way guys are not washing fresh cut blocks, that is their job.

There is also rumour that the japanese built engines are also blowing. I don't buy the machining debris story either, far too convenient.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kind of interesting that the hybrid motors are fine? Hmmm.
Funny I had no clue tundra had a hybrid, but hybrids seam pretty popular.

Hybrids are truly exploding in sales, up 48% numbers just in.

My neighbor bought one, we briefly discussed it and I asked him why he bought a hybrid. His reply was him and his wife feels they were "supposed" to buy a hybrid. Kinda interesting the didn't go EV? They are smart birds to be honest, more money then they will ever need, and they didn't want to charging hassle as they travel a lot. So for them I doubt the reach the payback anytime soon, but hey it was a political purchase if you read the tea leaves.

crv hybrid 34mpg highway 40 city starting MSRP 34, I'm sure they got top end though.

crv gas 27 mpg city - 32 highway MSRP starting 29k

So you pay 5k more but better mileage. It is a little surprising this many people have money right now, but no doubt the numbers don't lie people are buying these.

We know ram is bringing the hybrid soon too, but way more money and very long range as reported, 700 miles range,

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is also rumour that the japanese built engines are also blowing. I don't buy the machining debris story either, far too convenient.
Ford recommends 5W-30 oil for the 2.0L and 3.5L EcoBoost engines in the Ford F-150:

So that is the closest engine to the tundra? 400hp is close enough? But they don't run 0w20, I do believe this issue was solved, lol.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Um fellas< I looked up the oil spec for the tundra page 548 or close in their owners manual. Yup 0w20, lol. IF 0w20 isn't available, only 5w20 will do. 348hp high teaching turbo taking 0w20 but lets blame it on manufacturing down in Alabama. Just like last post on ram tanking it on purpose, makes you wonder? In that post he says oil film on nearing is the issue, but rather then blame thin oil be says debris. There is no way guys are not washing fresh cut blocks, that is their job.
Now Mike, you aren't possibly suggesting that thin oil is the cause of premature engine failure in a small displacement boosted engine are you?

That significant .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% better fuel economy is way more important than using a thicker oil that would protect a small boosted engine better.

WAY more important.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Motor Oil Geek on YouTube, has some very good videos on oil, which are well worth watching. Solid evidence driven recommendations on engine lubricants.

You can plot the iron of my 8 UOA's on a chart and easily pick out the 2 times I ran 5w-20. Not in terms of "absolute wear", but in terms of "relative wear"; ie, the iron before and after those 2 times are less.

Jigs-n-Fixtures

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You can plot the iron of my 8 UOA's on a chart and easily pick out the 2 times I ran 5w-20. Not in terms of "absolute wear", but in terms of "relative wear"; ie, the iron before and after those 2 times are less.
The other thing to look at is lead. The only lead in an engine is typically the maimn and conn rod beraings. So, lead means bearing wear. Iron is typically the cylinder walls, and/or rings.