Votes: 404 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,006 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 672 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can turn you car into smelling like that, even bacon, but the bad part is you lose your mancard if you run fuel fragrances. But french fry diesels, those mancards are set for life. Those guys are bad to the bone. They even have groups now that attempt to do long haul on french fry oil, if that ain't cool I do not know what is. Using free oil to offset expenses and under cut competition, yeah in my next life I will be that smart.
I climbed utility poles for 15 years to earn my man card, def not gonna lose it by making my truck exhaust smell like bacon....

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I don't think some people don't understand multi-viscosity oil
multi-viscosity oil was invented in the 1950's before that you had to use a summer or winter blend
today's oil is multi-viscosity - the "W" means "Winter" ..... NOT Weight !
The multi-viscosity oil changes viscosity by the difference in temperature
Viscosity is resistance to flow, or simply how fast or slow it flows.
The high or low tolerance of how the engine was designed is based on what viscosity to use - and thru EPA regulations the lower viscosity is only used to get better fuel economy from the engine.
Take a ATF, transmission oil for an example it's mostly very low "0" Zero viscosity .. do you know why ?
Take a V Twin air cooled Harley Davidson engine it's designed for a high viscosity 20W50 motor oil..... do you know why?
You must know the basic elementary understanding of motor oils before you refer to oil as "Weight"

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think some people don't understand multi-viscosity oil
multi-viscosity oil was invented in the 1950's before that you had to use a summer or winter blend
today's oil is multi-viscosity - the "W" means "Winter" ..... NOT Weight !
The multi-viscosity oil changes viscosity by the difference in temperature
Viscosity is resistance to flow, or simply how fast or slow it flows.
The high or low tolerance of how the engine was designed is based on what viscosity to use - and thru EPA regulations the lower viscosity is only used to get better fuel economy from the engine.
Take a ATF, transmission oil for an example it's mostly very low "0" Zero viscosity .. do you know why ?
Take a V Twin air cooled Harley Davidson engine it's designed for a high viscosity 20W50 motor oil..... do you know why?
You must know the basic elementary understanding of motor oils before you refer to oil as "Weight"
Thank you, pretty sure we all understand that here.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
1720976889163.png

from a Swedish group where the owner says he have this problem for the second time, rusting true the filter :O 5.000miles on the filter sitting on a 2018 RAM 1500

Is this something you have seen before?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
View attachment 546718

from a Swedish group where the owner says he have this problem for the second time, rusting true the filter :O 5.000miles on the filter sitting on a 2018 RAM 1500

Is this something you have seen before?
Many, many years ago we were running Hastings filters on our company trucks, and the paint would flake, and they would get some fairly minor surface rust. Nothing at all like your photo.

Is he sure he doesn't have a battery leaking acid?

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Many, many years ago we were running Hastings filters on our company trucks, and the paint would flake, and they would get some fairly minor surface rust. Nothing at all like your photo.

Is he sure he doesn't have a battery leaking acid?
Yea, but over so long time? (2 filters) First filter looked like this :O and the Dealer did not take it under warranty, said stone chips caused it and sent him a bill for $403... ( I do not now the mileage on the first one)

1720986923360.png

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Yea, but over so long time? (2 filters) First filter looked like this :O and the Dealer did not take it under warranty, said stone chips caused it and sent him a bill for $403... ( I do not now the mileage on the first one)

View attachment 546719
I get what you are saying, for sure. The example I cited above was when I lived in the northeast with heavy exposure to road salt.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
another impressive toyota story, mostly. But for the fact the have abs plastic piece that is known to crack and drain cooling systems, I am so impressed with my rav 4 cooling system rubber and coolant. I only flushed it once in 15 years, this time I did hoses not because the hoses were bad, but only that plastic vent tube. After 15 years there was a slight powdery residue on the inside of the rubber, and zero slime. The rubber is like brand new. I cant say I like their WS trans fluid, but their OEM coolant is good stuff, way better then the 30-50k miles they want your interval at. I think it's a hoat, I wonder if it was oat if there would be any residue. I know the universal coolants are popular on the rav 4 boards.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And the old-school H-D guys ran straight 50 and straight 60.

Remember Detroit Diesels? Not the Roger Penske 4 stroke, the original 2 stroke series 53, 71, 92, 169 with roots blowers?

Straight 40 summer, straight 30 winter.

Their cheap slipper bushings on their wrist pins would leak out any lighter weight oil excessively. I'd never seen a half bearing wrist pin before! All the iron mines up here used 16V169's because they were the lowest cost per ton of ore produced - even with all their repairs and short life!! The Empire Mine Maintenance Supe told me when I was with Mobil Oil.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Remember Detroit Diesels? Not the Roger Penske 4 stroke, the original 2 stroke series 53, 71, 92, 169 with roots blowers?

Straight 40 summer, straight 30 winter.

Their cheap slipper bushings on their wrist pins would leak out any lighter weight oil excessively. I'd never seen a half bearing wrist pin before! All the iron mines up here used 16V169's because they were the lowest cost per ton of ore produced - even with all their repairs and short life!! The Empire Mine Maintenance Supe told me when I was with Mobil Oil.
Yes, the Screamin' Jimmy 2-strokes ( aka Yamaha) would also slobber like crazy. We did a lot of Detroit heads at the machine shop. It was comical to work on a Detroit head with valve springs you could compress by hand, versus a Mack head with springs that could hold up a pickup truck LOL.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know of anyone running mercon v spec fluid in the 8 speed and it wont be me trying it thats for sure.
maxlife is a great oil that I have used in many other applications and has been well proven as a suitable zf 8 speed oil on this forum.
That's a good, conservative "err on the side of safety" viewpoint for you to follow. My many years of automatic transmission specialization for GM and Ford give me a different perspective. I always will preach "When in doubt, follow manufacturer's specifications" to prevent unintended mayhem! As for me, I'd have zero qualms about running Mercon 5 in this particular instance. Peace!

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guys on Bitog suggested that I check "oil-club.ru" for any information on Valvoline All Climate.
I managed to find a VOA in Russian.

What do you make of it?

(Translated via Google)
"
The oil is declared as: ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; API: SL/CF; GM-LL-A-025, GM LL-B-025; MB-229.3; Renault RN0700/0710; VW 50200/50500; Recommended for use where Fiat specification 9.55535.G1 is specified.

1) The oil meets the SAE viscosity standard and can be called 5W-30.

2) Viscosity at 100C = 11.82 - as expected in ACEA A3/B4 oils in which HTHS>3.5 must be maintained. As always, Valvoline mixed base oils in exact proportions. I praise you.

3) Alkaline number = 10.17 - a very high alkaline number, hence the good washing and neutralizing properties of the oil.

4) Acid number = 2.59 - the norm for full ash.

5) Sulfate ash content = 1.30 - ACEA A3/B4-2010 standard implies ash content up to 1.6. In principle, the ash content is not the lowest, but for this calcium sulfonate additive package it is the minimum possible. In general, everything is fine for this oil.

6) Flash point = 233C - this is where we need to praise, the flash is higher than the “hospital average” among such oils. Most likely, the CCS of this oil is somewhere around 5500-6000 (while I was writing I remembered about the passport that I posted, it really is 5500). Why is this good? The oil is made (as much as possible within the standard) with a slightly higher content of thick 6cst base oil. And this will have a beneficial effect on NOACK , and on the flash, and on HTHS. In general, the oil is thermally stable at high temperatures.
7) Pour point -44C - everything is fine, you can safely use it in cold weather. Up to -30C sometimes with a slight excess. At least you won’t be left with a frozen crankcase - there is a reserve.

8) Sulfur content = 0.388 - average, also the minimum possible for this package of additives and hydrocracking oil. An additive package based on calcium sulfonates is immediately visible by the sulfur content.

9) Judging by the elements, the Infineum additive package is used here, as I dare say, the latest version - improved with organic molybdenum, which reduces fuel consumption, slightly increases efficiency, additionally resists wear, and reduces friction.

10) Anti-wear additives - phosphorus and zinc, in abundance. Calcium-based detergent/neutralizing additives.

Conclusion: Stable oil from Valvoline in every sense, both in terms of parameters and properties. Perfect for cars from the 90s and 2000s, as well as versions of cars without modern bells and whistles from 2010-2017. Perfect for areas in the European part of Russia. It should be stable in terms of fumes. There are no obvious disadvantages. "

Valvoline All Climate 5w30.gif
post-2-0-62074700-1513834944.jpgpost-2-0-49466400-1515666784(1).jpg

Attachments

• Valvoline ALL CLIMATE 5W-30 12 1 L SW -- LFX 7020 -- 000039544003.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • Valvoline All Climate 5W30 (VOA BASE).pdf
    691.9 KB · Views: 1

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guys on Bitog suggested that I check "oil-club.ru" for any information on Valvoline All Climate.
I managed to find a VOA in Russian.

What do you make of it?

(Translated via Google)
"
The oil is declared as: ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; API: SL/CF; GM-LL-A-025, GM LL-B-025; MB-229.3; Renault RN0700/0710; VW 50200/50500; Recommended for use where Fiat specification 9.55535.G1 is specified.

1) The oil meets the SAE viscosity standard and can be called 5W-30.

2) Viscosity at 100C = 11.82 - as expected in ACEA A3/B4 oils in which HTHS>3.5 must be maintained. As always, Valvoline mixed base oils in exact proportions. I praise you.

3) Alkaline number = 10.17 - a very high alkaline number, hence the good washing and neutralizing properties of the oil.

4) Acid number = 2.59 - the norm for full ash.

5) Sulfate ash content = 1.30 - ACEA A3/B4-2010 standard implies ash content up to 1.6. In principle, the ash content is not the lowest, but for this calcium sulfonate additive package it is the minimum possible. In general, everything is fine for this oil.

6) Flash point = 233C - this is where we need to praise, the flash is higher than the “hospital average” among such oils. Most likely, the CCS of this oil is somewhere around 5500-6000 (while I was writing I remembered about the passport that I posted, it really is 5500). Why is this good? The oil is made (as much as possible within the standard) with a slightly higher content of thick 6cst base oil. And this will have a beneficial effect on NOACK , and on the flash, and on HTHS. In general, the oil is thermally stable at high temperatures.
7) Pour point -44C - everything is fine, you can safely use it in cold weather. Up to -30C sometimes with a slight excess. At least you won’t be left with a frozen crankcase - there is a reserve.

8) Sulfur content = 0.388 - average, also the minimum possible for this package of additives and hydrocracking oil. An additive package based on calcium sulfonates is immediately visible by the sulfur content.

9) Judging by the elements, the Infineum additive package is used here, as I dare say, the latest version - improved with organic molybdenum, which reduces fuel consumption, slightly increases efficiency, additionally resists wear, and reduces friction.

10) Anti-wear additives - phosphorus and zinc, in abundance. Calcium-based detergent/neutralizing additives.

Conclusion: Stable oil from Valvoline in every sense, both in terms of parameters and properties. Perfect for cars from the 90s and 2000s, as well as versions of cars without modern bells and whistles from 2010-2017. Perfect for areas in the European part of Russia. It should be stable in terms of fumes. There are no obvious disadvantages. "

View attachment 546788
View attachment 546790View attachment 546791
From what I can decipher of Russian, that looks pretty good to me. I like the viscosity on the higher end of the 30wt scale...

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Since I couldn’t find Redline 5W-30 out in the wild I was able to get some PUP 5W30 thrown into the Rebel. So far it runs great and the added bonus of about 1 mpg increase.

Admittedly this truck never had a true “Hemi tick” so Redline wasn’t much more than an pricey “peace of mind” maintenance item than anything alongside the larger oil filter. If all goes well I might just stick with PUP for now

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I couldn’t find Redline 5W-30 out in the wild I was able to get some PUP 5W30 thrown into the Rebel. So far it runs great and the added bonus of about 1 mpg increase.

Admittedly this truck never had a true “Hemi tick” so Redline wasn’t much more than an pricey “peace of mind” maintenance item than anything alongside the larger oil filter. If all goes well I might just stick with PUP for now
If you want even more peace of mind, then I would suggest adding some Lubegard Biotech to PUP every other oil change or change the oil every 3 - 4k miles. Gathering from what I've read and learned so far, short OCIs are the best preventative.
Also I would suggest trying PUP 0w40 SRT.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I can decipher of Russian, that looks pretty good to me. I like the viscosity on the higher end of the 30wt scale...
I took some pictures of the Russian stuff.. even a UOA using the Google Translate app on my phone. IMG_8147.jpeg
IMG_8146.jpeg
IMG_8078.jpeg

Reading through translated threads of Oil-Club.ru, it appears the word in the middle of the last pic is very accurate.
BITOG isn’t so detailed in their discussions to even talk about the additive & base manufacturers. It’s the sort of place Lakespeed Jr will call Heaven.
And they’re not too big on moly for some reason.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thank you, pretty sure we all understand that here.
when anybody describes oil by weight or thickness and doesn't understand viscosity it's impossible for me to have any intelligent conversation with them.
I'm highly educated and it's impossible for me to explain it in simple terms where the only alternative is to give up.
I understand the chemical composition of oil, how it's made, how it's refined
When you watch YouTube videos testing oils you're being deceived cause the person testing the oil doesn't understand the simple basics of the purpose of motor oil for it's lubrication and it's heat dissipation. I would LOVE to see a test of heating up a motor oil to 400 degrees then time it how fast it cools down to 200 degrees. They don't do that test cause they don't understand motor oil.
So everyone can continue watching those videos and reading the disinformation from "Bob's The Oil Guy" - I tend to give up, I know what brand of oil is the best and I keep that to myself - I don't need dumb and dumber insulting me their brand is better !

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to check out the Russian oil site for another oil that doesn't get much press or mention - on here or BITOG
Havoline Pro DS 5w30
Outside of the US, it is called Texaco or Caltex, however I believe all the formulations are the same.

This is what found.
Report Translated via Google

"The oil is declared as: API SN; ACEA C2/C3; MB 229.51; MB 229.52 ; GM Dexos2; BMW LL-04; GM-LL-A-025; GM-LL-B-025.

1) The oil fully meets the SAE standard for both viscosity and CCS . This is 5W-30 - as stated.

2) Viscosity at 40C = 71.2 - like all ACEA C3, a little thick...

3) Viscosity at 100C = 12.1 - HTHS >= 3.5 should withstand. Also thick, less economical, more viscosity protection.

4) Base number = 5.46 - measured by the laboratory using the ASTM D 4739 method, it slightly underestimates the base number compared to the usual ASTM D 2896, if measured by this method, it would be about 7. This means that the oil has average cleaning/neutralizing properties . (the alkaline cannot be raised higher, since the ash content is limited by the standard, in order to save soot and catalysts).

5) Acid number = 1.94 - normal.

6) Sulfate ash = 0.83 - normal. Of course, it exceeds the ACEA C3 standard by 0.03, but no method will provide such accuracy, and such accuracy is not needed. The ACEA C3 standard limits ash content to 0.8.

7) Pour point -50C - of course, an outstanding pour point for hydrocracking, but I think it is a little underestimated. In reality, even if the oil is -45C, we can assume that the oil has excellent low-temperature characteristics. ACEA C3 oils typically have -40C -42C. And here it turns out with a large margin.

8) The viscosity of simulated cold cranking with a starter at -30C = 5071 - meets the requirements of the SAE J300 standard where 5W-30 should be no more than 6600. Normal, standard starting in cold temperatures down to -30C is guaranteed.

9) Volatility according to the NOACK method (waste) = 6.9 - a record for hydrocracking, so low that it seems underestimated by the determination method. But even if it’s not 6.9% but 9%, it’s still excellent. The oil is thermally stable at high temperatures and should be very reluctant to burn out in the engine.

10) pH acidity 6.7 is normal for medium ash.

11) Sulfur content = 0.229 - There is not much sulfur here. The base oils are pure sulfur, the rest is from the additive package.

12) Based on the elements of the additive package, it is difficult to say with certainty who the manufacturer is (there are few such oils that have come across), but most likely it is Chevron Oronite (although there is a possibility that it is Infineum.)

13) The oil has a rare feature for ACEA C3 - it contains organic molybdenum. It will provide additional fuel economy, wear protection, and anti-oxidation properties. Perhaps it will work more quietly.

14) ZDDP anti-wear additives based on zinc and phosphorus. Boron is an ashless dispersant that holds particles of contaminants in suspension. Calcium is a detergent and detergent.

The Fourier IR spectrum presumably indicates that the oil is based on VHVI hydrocracking (equated to synthetics.)"
Havoline VOA.jpg

Havoline english.jpg
Havoline VOA - English.jpg

Hope this is helpful to someone.