Votes: 404 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,006 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 672 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay so 8 quarts of HPL supercar 0w40 is in. Definately the best this engine has sounded at idle compared to supercar 0w30 and the premium plus 5w30 and both sn and sp mobil 1 0w40. I got it up to 212 today and idle PSI was 42 which is 2 psi higher than supercar 0w30. This is to be expected though as its 2ish cSt thicker at 100c. Just stating this so the data is there

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Okay so 8 quarts of HPL supercar 0w40 is in. Definately the best this engine has sounded at idle compared to supercar 0w30 and the premium plus 5w30 and both sn and sp mobil 1 0w40. I got it up to 212 today and idle PSI was 42 which is 2 psi higher than supercar 0w30. This is to be expected though as its 2ish cSt thicker at 100c. Just stating this so the data is there

Another data point for higher viscosity equals better lubrication.

In summer. I'm still puzzled how 0W-40 doesn't shear even with a pile of shear stable star polymer VII additive.

I'll have to look back at my chart for NOACK & HTHS compare between the two SC grades.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
wow the kv at 40°c and 100°c on the extra hecla super cylinder oil is quite extraordinary. what would that look like pouring at room temperature?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am NOT knocking any brand or synthetic or non-synthetic oil - what type and brand works for you stick with it, all I am saying is by the region of the country you're getting the same oil no matter what brand you have, there're some exceptions - but all the popular brands you buy off the shelf are the same oil . Don't get fooled by marketing. Also when a batch of oil is refined the recipe always comes out a little different and /or the type of crude that's used the refining process is different meaning more or less refining is needed, pay attention to the sulfur content of the oil that's a good indication how good or bad it's refined. I personally judge oil by it's heat dissipation and how slow or fast the viscosity changes with temperature , take a 5W20 for example, most never reach a 20 viscosity so if you switch to a 0W16 you're almost likely to get the same viscosity as the 5W20. I am NOT saying to switch, always use the viscosity Ram recommends - the engineers at Ram are well aware of this with the engines designed for the type of oil they recommend.
Most people can't define the difference between conventional and synthetic oil , to legally market an oil as synthetic every molecule must be the same size and the same ingredient - synthetic oil is made from the same base oil except it's refined better so every amount of oil in that bottle is exactly the same. No offence telling you this but you have no idea what (good or bad) oil you're pouring in your engine including synthetic, some conventional motor oils might be better than a synthetic, SAE tested that years ago, even a popular brand of synthetic tests other brands against their oil and you'll be surprised how many cheap conventional brands rated better than some full synthetic brands. It's a crap shoot, you don't know what you're getting in motor oil, you can't taste it or drink it yourself.
You could taste/drink it yourself, but I highly recommend against doing that!!! Hahaha

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yep, I'm currently using Red Line 5w/30 in my HEMI and it's doing really good.

And no, I don't "need to" change from Red Line to High Performance Lubricants engine oil.

I thought that, that there was some type of supply issue and was looking for an alternative to Red Line.

But that isn't the case. It's just Summit Racing is taking RL orders and shipping/delivery in about the second week of August. I can order from another seller that has RL in stock, or so it seems at the moment.

I had thought that I had read something somewhere that Red Line was going "scarce".

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another data point for higher viscosity equals better lubrication.

In summer. I'm still puzzled how 0W-40 doesn't shear even with a pile of shear stable star polymer VII additive.

I'll have to look back at my chart for NOACK & HTHS compare between the two SC grades.
I have a theory in that the reason supercar 0w40 is more expensive than their other supercar grades is im thinking their using a styrene based star polymer VII which has an even better SSI than the 5ssi polymethacrylate star polymer. I can only conclude its more expensive as well.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decades ago, I had a mechanic working for me in my auto repair shop. We got into a debate over all manner of oils. Eventually, to break the tension, he laughingly suggested trying bacon grease as a substitute for oil! Think how good that would smell going down the street! ;)
There's a guy in my area that outfitted his diesel to run on used vegetable oil which he'd get from the restaurants around town. Once in awhile I'd end up driving behind him, and for some strange reason, I'd always get a sudden urge for french fries!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a guy in my area that outfitted his diesel to run on used vegetable oil which he'd get from the restaurants around town. Once in awhile I'd end up driving behind him, and for some strange reason, I'd always get a sudden urge for french fries!
I wonder if the fuel system on that fellow's truck gets clogged arteries! ;)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I wonder if the fuel system on that fellow's truck gets clogged arteries! ;)

Yup.
Need a helluva filtration to get fry oil clean enough before putting in tank or you'll clog your truck's fuel filter.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup.
Need a helluva filtration to get fry oil clean enough before putting in tank or you'll clog your truck's fuel filter.
Probably...I haven't seen (or smelled) him around for awhile now, so maybe he gave up on it...(which might also explain why I haven't had a hankering for fries as of late! :)

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a theory in that the reason supercar 0w40 is more expensive than their other supercar grades is im thinking their using a styrene based star polymer VII which has an even better SSI than the 5ssi polymethacrylate star polymer. I can only conclude its more expensive as well.

They also use very good base oils, from what I've read on bitog this seems to be part of the reason too why none of them shear down. That almost 30k mile oil interval on the durango was nuts, this stuff has long legs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can turn you car into smelling like that, even bacon, but the bad part is you lose your mancard if you run fuel fragrances. But french fry diesels, those mancards are set for life. Those guys are bad to the bone. They even have groups now that attempt to do long haul on french fry oil, if that ain't cool I do not know what is. Using free oil to offset expenses and under cut competition, yeah in my next life I will be that smart.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I remember a Deere guy that came up to work for us said their fry oil fuel experimentation made engine exhaust smell like popcorn.
Man, that would kill you smelling that all day!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You can turn you car into smelling like that, even bacon, but the bad part is you lose your mancard if you run fuel fragrances. But french fry diesels, those mancards are set for life. Those guys are bad to the bone. They even have groups now that attempt to do long haul on french fry oil, if that ain't cool I do not know what is. Using free oil to offset expenses and under cut competition, yeah in my next life I will be that smart.

Willie Nelson's bus!