Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
when anybody describes oil by weight or thickness and doesn't understand viscosity it's impossible for me to have any intelligent conversation with them.
I'm highly educated and it's impossible for me to explain it in simple terms where the only alternative is to give up.
I understand the chemical composition of oil, how it's made, how it's refined
When you watch YouTube videos testing oils you're being deceived cause the person testing the oil doesn't understand the simple basics of the purpose of motor oil for it's lubrication and it's heat dissipation. I would LOVE to see a test of heating up a motor oil to 400 degrees then time it how fast it cools down to 200 degrees. They don't do that test cause they don't understand motor oil.
So everyone can continue watching those videos and reading the disinformation from "Bob's The Oil Guy" - I tend to give up, I know what brand of oil is the best and I keep that to myself - I don't need dumb and dumber insulting me their brand is better !
Id be curious to know who you actually are and what your credentials are in this topic

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when anybody describes oil by weight or thickness and doesn't understand viscosity it's impossible for me to have any intelligent conversation with them.
I'm highly educated and it's impossible for me to explain it in simple terms where the only alternative is to give up.
I understand the chemical composition of oil, how it's made, how it's refined
When you watch YouTube videos testing oils you're being deceived cause the person testing the oil doesn't understand the simple basics of the purpose of motor oil for it's lubrication and it's heat dissipation. I would LOVE to see a test of heating up a motor oil to 400 degrees then time it how fast it cools down to 200 degrees. They don't do that test cause they don't understand motor oil.
So everyone can continue watching those videos and reading the disinformation from "Bob's The Oil Guy" - I tend to give up, I know what brand of oil is the best and I keep that to myself - I don't need dumb and dumber insulting me their brand is better !
Things such as stiction and shear, and film strength seem to confuse as well!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
it's impossible for me to explain it in simple terms where the only alternative is to give up.
Thank God you weren't at the Alamo, we would all be speaking Mexican then. But hey thanks for popping in and spreading the wealth of knowledge, we all often forget what we covered like 1,000 times in this thread basic oil 101 stuff like viscosity.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did the change Kreen? By Kano? They are shipping to CA now.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just came across this on reddit. Sort of dashed my hopes that the Hurricane would be more reliable than the Hemi.

I think we all knew it, the proof is just starting to trickle in.

Cab has to come off (so more and more this truck needs to be serviced by a dealer/mechanic and not some dude in his garage like me), the cylinder walls are scoring badly in some other hurricane tear downs too.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you want even more peace of mind, then I would suggest adding some Lubegard Biotech to PUP every other oil change or change the oil every 3 - 4k miles. Gathering from what I've read and learned so far, short OCIs are the best preventative.
Also I would suggest trying PUP 0w40 SRT.
I agree. Change PUP by 4k miles. It good oil, but breaks down fast. I run that in my wifes Jeep. Its good oil.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I've said, the architecture is less durable - working a smaller engine harder just for the fuel mileage when empty. Ford proved that with the ecoboost.

The only question was by how much.
I'm not a Hemi lover either, due to the design flaw they never fixed.
Y Y You mean Amalie isn't better than it has to be anymore?

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Remember Detroit Diesels? Not the Roger Penske 4 stroke, the original 2 stroke series 53, 71, 92, 169 with roots blowers?

Straight 40 summer, straight 30 winter.

Their cheap slipper bushings on their wrist pins would leak out any lighter weight oil excessively. I'd never seen a half bearing wrist pin before! All the iron mines up here used 16V169's because they were the lowest cost per ton of ore produced - even with all their repairs and short life!! The Empire Mine Maintenance Supe told me when I was with Mobil Oil.
I remember these well!

I still see these on generator units here in Ontario.
Bell Canada had some sort of deal with Detroit Diesel back in the day as the majority of their buildings had them, and some still do to this day.

DD still makes full rebuild kits for these engines to this day. Mostly to support the US Military, from what I was told back then.

I recall being at a site where we were doing an annual service with full load test on a 16V92 unit and it went into mexican overdrive and started running away.

I damn near crapped my pants when he screamed to me to run out of the room when they started going into to overdrive.

I also recall a time when we were servicing a DDCMTU Series 2000 unit and it threw a rod out of the side of the block, hit a block wall and took out a section of it with the flying debris.

Luckily no one was in the room at the time, we were all just outside the generator room monitoring it with the laptop.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Basic rule: new user, posting on synthetic oil thread, controversial content => 100% troll.

Too bad these forums don't support mechanisms to prevent this, like requiring a user to be a member for at least one year and > 50 messages before posting in certain threads ... or something to that effect.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I remember these well!

I still see these on generator units here in Ontario.
Bell Canada had some sort of deal with Detroit Diesel back in the day as the majority of their buildings had them, and some still do to this day.

DD still makes full rebuild kits for these engines to this day. Mostly to support the US Military, from what I was told back then.

I recall being at a site where we were doing an annual service with full load test on a 16V92 unit and it went into mexican overdrive and started running away.

I damn near crapped my pants when he screamed to me to run out of the room when they started going into to overdrive.

I also recall a time when we were servicing a DDCMTU Series 2000 unit and it threw a rod out of the side of the block, hit a block wall and took out a section of it with the flying debris.

Luckily no one was in the room at the time, we were all just outside the generator room monitoring it with the laptop.

Nothing picks up an electrical block load in a standby generator like a Detroit Diesel 2 stroker smoker. With twice the pops per revolution than a 4 stroke motor, even with less compression per stroke, it more than made up for less peak cylinder pressure. They always sound like they're gonna explode since they sound like they're running twice as fast as they really are. The frequency is grating.

Then again, nothing pollutes & sucks fuel like one, either. Being a genetic gearhead, I always rode the city bus to school sitting in back next to the 6V or 8V92 engine. Could almost fall asleep to it. Dad was the same way.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basic rule: new user, posting on synthetic oil thread, controversial content => 100% troll.

Too bad these forums don't support mechanisms to prevent this, like requiring a user to be a member for at least one year and > 50 messages before posting in certain threads ... or something to that effect.
But think of the entertainment we would miss......