Think It's Totaled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get back in a hemi would be my choice, too many unknown's with the hurricane imo.. That is the worst type of accidents as the human body doesnt naturally go to the right or left like that, we are built for forwards and backwards, but this type of thing can cause issues. Watch your neck in the AM, don't be proud if it is extra soar get your self to a doctor.

Having a doctor sending you to physical therapy wouldn't hurt settlement negotions either. Especially considering what that fool said, he blows a stop light and blames you, I'd milk that dude till Jesus rises again.

Good luck to ya.
I am thinking latest gen Hemi I can get right now but I am getting sticker shock looking at the good ones with low miles. And why the heck am I seeing so many, "buy back" labeled trucks at dealerships right now?

Have you guys seen that before? Sounds like lemons from what they are saying.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any kind of electronic issue, Lane departure, heads up display, etc. All bad issues. E torque.

I'd go up to a 2500 and get the last of the 6.4
Nothing electronic other than TPMS throwing a fit because I tossed the spare on which doesn't have the sensor.

Can't fit a 2500 in the garage and honestly don't need more truck than I have now. I did think about it though.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Firstly, glad you're okay!

As others have said, get a full check up, and also document everything for a case build, you'll likely need it as insurance company's hate to pay out. Physiotherapy is likely a good thing to consider after a wild ride like that, especially if you're sore.

Sucks that your truck got damaged, but it took the hit like it was designed to do, and protected you. As said, it can be replaced whereas you can not be.

Receipts for all recent repairs, services, etc. (tires, rims, whatever else you can produce) put it all together and get ready to play let's make a deal with the insurance company.

Everything is in your favor, especially it being a not at fault claim for you.

Good luck with everything!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This sucks what happened, but like others have said....it is just a truck. It did its job of protecting you!!! You are fine and that's the main thing for sure!!! Eventhough we all love our trucks, they are just trucks and can be replaced!!! Glad you are doing OK other than some discomfort!!!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't have time to read every post. But have a frame guy look at it. Getting hit in the rear allows the suspension to get bent up, but may preserve the frame (that's the 'good'). Some slight (very minor) bendage would have virtually no affect long-term. Used rear diff's/Axle assemblies should be easy to come by. New suspension pieces will make the 'feel' and drive tighter than before. Then a good alignment.

The rest of the body damage looks fairly light. A new box side (or whole used box, same color), and graft on a new cab corner/rocker ...not hard to repair at all. It's just crinkled sheet metal. Providing the rear cab mount is ok ..and that should be able to be pulled out. That's what bodyshops repair day in and day out. Plus the color is easier to match than some. I've seen (and repaired) a LOT worse-looking damage that came out like new!

But again...it's what we can't see (frame tweakage) that matters. If that's minor, should be easy to restore.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am thinking latest gen Hemi I can get right now but I am getting sticker shock looking at the good ones with low miles. And why the heck am I seeing so many, "buy back" labeled trucks at dealerships right now?

Have you guys seen that before? Sounds like lemons from what they are saying.
how ya feeling today?

I have no idea about the buy back situation.

If I was going for a hurricane, I would get an extended warranty and follow the oil recommendations to a T. We talked about these di engines a long time ago in syn thread, thanks to the API and newer engines, oil choice matters more then ever thanks to LSPI, low speed pre ignition. Ford had a lot of issues with early di's, now ram's turn.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to help out my buddy when he was trying to get his bodyshop business up and running. It's amazing the psychology people have. The first thing most owners do after they get into a wreck is panic and think their truck/car/van is totaled ...and even if it isn't ....to them, it'll never be the same. Suddenly in their mind it becomes a POS. But it's just steel, tin...and parts. Usually damage isn't as back as it seems once you get the damaged parts stipped off.

We used to pick up some amazing good deals from owners who wanted to just dump their vehicles...for practically nothing. Esp if they were not insured or underinsured. A couple hundred bucks for a pretty decent car that needed superficial repairs wasn't uncommon. For owners who stuck it out (or didn't have a choice due to their insurance company), they were back in love once they saw the fully repaired and repainted car/truck/van/suv...

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how ya feeling today?

I have no idea about the buy back situation.

If I was going for a hurricane, I would get an extended warranty and follow the oil recommendations to a T. We talked about these di engines a long time ago in syn thread, thanks to the API and newer engines, oil choice matters more then ever thanks to LSPI, low speed pre ignition. Ford had a lot of issues with early di's, now ram's turn.

Oh man pretty rough today I didn't realize it but I must have nailed something with my left shoulder. Big bruise about the size of my hand. But neck and back feel great today.

Great point, I'm not so sure I want to be an early tester of the new engine. But I certainly want to drive one at least.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a picture of that bruise, go see a doc.
I have full sleeve tattoos so you cant see anything haha. I just feel it poking around LOL

I did go get checked out today though nothing they could really do prescribed me some muscle relaxers if I need them. Will follow up next week sometime.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Got t-boned today leaving work. Bummer!

Wasn't going too fast, guy ran a stop sign and smashed the side of my truck.

Felt like I was about to flip over as I was sliding sideways and eventually jumped a rather large curb. Judging by the melted rubber and marks on the dirty tires I was either bending the sidewalls real hard or it was up on two wheels for a second LOL

door, bed, cab corner are smashed and the whole bed is tweaked. Bent lower control arms on the rear axle, bent rear shock, pushed axle over, broken wheel.

Was able to drive home with the spare but I had to hold the wheel at 2oclock to drive straight. Felt sketchy, drove real slow.

Thankfully no airbag deployment.

Yep, my air bags didn't deploy either.

Fwiw, if your truck isn't totalled out by your insurance company and instead repaired, it's most likely gonna be listed on CarFax listed as either slight/moderate/heavy damaged and that's going to effect it's trade in value ...

This is the boat I'm floating in ....

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your bruise is most likely from the seat belt.

When I wrecked my 04, everywhere the seat belt was had "damage". Broke my left collar bone, bruised ribs/sternum, and bruised my hip.

This is what it looked like the day after the accident. It got a lot worse a couple of days later. Entire arm and chest was purple.
Accident2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, my air bags didn't deploy either.

Fwiw, if your truck isn't totalled out by your insurance company and instead repaired, it's most likely gonna be listed on CarFax listed as either slight/moderate/heavy damaged and that's going to effect it's trade in value ...

This is the boat I'm floating in ....
Exactly! I am assuming it will be listed as structural damage so big hit on the value. If it gets repaired I will have to go after them for diminished value.

I was going to take it to the body shop this afternoon but back started feeling pretty stiff right after I posted this afternoon LOL

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
G-Ride990 Glad you didn't get seriously hurt time will tell, let's hope it gets totaled with the box damage your cover is tweaked and the axle shifted by the looks of the driver's wheel well, frame damage, objects can be replaced but human life cannot and the Dudd said you were driving to slow!!!! look into a 2022 5.7 last year for the non eTorque I wouldn't try the hurricane as of yet.

Last edited:

commander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, one MUST do their homework to determine a value! "Most" insurance companies will pay out approximately 70% of the value of the vehicle, the repairs to the vehicle do NOT include any rental car cost. Also, diminished value is based on the amount of damage, the mileage at the time of loss. You do NOT have to accept aftermarket parts! Tell them you bought a Ram, and you want Ram parts! If the AM/KT parts do not fit like the OEM, point that out to the shop, and refuse to accept the repairs. "MOST" of either the shops or dealers will price/profit match the am/kt parts, ask the shop, and let them know if the am/kt parts do not fit perfectly, you will refuse the repair until it is right.
I proved that the am/kt doesn't fit like OEM to the lizard company, went through 4 fenders and we could get it to line up with either the hood or the door, but not both! The supplier brought another fender with him, (number 3) and when it didn't fit he said, "OEM doesn't fit any better" I then handed my guy an OEM fender, and in about 10 minutes told us, "ready for paint" Only had to show an invoice for an OEM part after that! LOL
YOUR vehicle, YOUR call! if it's not right, don't accept it!
The diminished value should be through the other carrier, not yours!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Got t-boned today leaving work. Bummer!

Wasn't going too fast, guy ran a stop sign and smashed the side of my truck.

Felt like I was about to flip over as I was sliding sideways and eventually jumped a rather large curb. Judging by the melted rubber and marks on the dirty tires I was either bending the sidewalls real hard or it was up on two wheels for a second LOL

door, bed, cab corner are smashed and the whole bed is tweaked. Bent lower control arms on the rear axle, bent rear shock, pushed axle over, broken wheel.

Was able to drive home with the spare but I had to hold the wheel at 2oclock to drive straight. Felt sketchy, drove real slow.

Thankfully no airbag deployment.

Glad your ok. Strange you drove it, with that kind of damage.