Trailer lights created TPMS fail and FOB fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lashlarue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I towed a small utility trailer w 4 wire connector this week. It uses a Harbor Freight Bluetooth lights. When connected they work but create other fails. One is I get the TPMS messages that show either one or zero tire pressures. The other fail is that sometimes it wont recognize the FOB and I have to use the corner of the FOB on the start button to start the engine. Remove the trailer and all works.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
2020 Ram 1500

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No reason plugging in a trailer connector should affect anything whatsoever. I'll watch this thread.

1718579078841.gif

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What the heck are Bluetooth lights? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

Were you using a bluetooth brake controller? I'm not a fan of them but that's the only thing I can think of, you wouldn't have needed that for a four-flat trailer though.

OP
OP
L

Lashlarue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It must have interfered. Unplugged it and truck is back to normal.

Going to be some time before I use this trailer again.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What the heck are Bluetooth lights? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

Were you using a bluetooth brake controller? I'm not a fan of them but that's the only thing I can think of, you wouldn't have needed that for a four-flat trailer though.
The Bluetooth signal from the lights must be messing with your signals from the fob and tire pressure sensors.
If the lights are Bluetooth controlled, why would you need to plug them in? Wouldn't each light have it's own battery, or the entire light set have it's own battery pack?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If the lights are Bluetooth controlled, why would you need to plug them in? Wouldn't each light have it's own battery, or the entire light set have it's own battery pack?
they exist...

Can't say I'd want to use them - seems like just one more wireless device to fail. I'd just run the wires and do it right.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
they exist...

Can't say I'd want to use them - seems like just one more wireless device to fail. I'd just run the wires and do it right.
Yes'sir, I know they exist. My question was, why would they need to be plugged in? Just like the Bluetooth speakers in my Surround Sound home theater system, each one has it's own battery and they don't need to be plugged into an external power source. Kind of negates the "wireless" Bluetooth thing.

And I wouldn't trust them either.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
they exist...

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Having been party to several community and family trailers over the years, I'm not fond of rewiring other people's F***ups (yes, I'm including family).

I'd equate this to borrowing a chain saw. After you rebuild the fuel system, straighten (or replace) the bar, and sharpen the chain, you have more time in the saw than the actual use. Next time you borrow it, it's in the same condition.

Bottom line, I bought my own trailer and chain saw - and let other people borrow them (epic fail).

Bluetooth trailer lights MIGHT fix the trailer lighting fail. I'll start watching for reviews...

OP
OP
L

Lashlarue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Bluetooth trailer wire/light have a standard plug w wires connected to the communications unit that controls the wireless lights. Hence, they need to be plugged in.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmmm, I'm not sure. Having been party to several community and family trailers over the years, I'm not fond of rewiring other people's F***ups (yes, I'm including family).

I'd equate this to borrowing a chain saw. After you rebuild the fuel system, straighten (or replace) the bar, and sharpen the chain, you have more time in the saw than the actual use. Next time you borrow it, it's in the same condition.

Bottom line, I bought my own trailer and chain saw - and let other people borrow them (epic fail).

Bluetooth trailer lights MIGHT fix the trailer lighting fail. I'll start watching for reviews...
I mean you're not wrong, I've borrowed plenty of things in the past that were...questionable at best. Which usually led to me just buying my own. There are now a select few people who I let borrow my stuff because I know they'll take care of it or fix/replace it if they break it.

I still don't trust most things bluetooth despite using them daily. For example, there is about a mile stretch of road near my home that, for whatever reason, any bluetooth device will drop out and disconnect. I don't know why, I don't understand it, it's literally empty fields just about as far as you can see, but there is SOMETHING going on there that causes bluetooth devices to drop out (this happens in my truck, my wife's truck, my last truck, her last truck, and both of my FIL's last two trucks, so it isn't truck or device related).

Use them if you trust them, but when it comes to things like this, I'd rather have real wires.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Bluetooth trailer wire/light have a standard plug w wires connected to the communications unit that controls the wireless lights. Hence, they need to be plugged in.
I believe the lights are wireless but not Bluetooth. Likely the frequencies the lights work at are at or near the same frequencies as the TPMS and FOB frequencies. You would think a lighting kit designed for automotive use would use a different frequency that would not interfere with the vehicle.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You would think a lighting kit designed for automotive use would use a different frequency that would not interfere with the vehicle.
This comes from the FCC. Certain industries are allowed to use certain portions of the radio spectrum (because all wireless tech is basically a type of radio waves). Automotive has to 'stay in its lane' so to speak, so the frequencies are all bunched together.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Blue tooth is a radio signal. What you are describing would be like connecting two walkie-talkies together with a comm wire. Kind of defeats the purpose of the radio signal if they are hard-wired together.

Somebody help me out here and explain what I'm missing.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

BOIRD unicorn. I DO not lend out my Chainsaw, Truck, MC or trailer, period. If there is a fail it's on me. When I used to lend stuff, hate getting stuff back and f-ubar'd up. The only person who uses my Chain Saws is my neighbor, and we work with each other to work on stuff.,. especially things like wind blown down trees. I helped him rewire his old trailer, but he was using old wiring and wire nuts and such. Now the 4 pin wiring job failing, only works for brake and turn signal. TOLD him to get proper re-wire kit and we would pull apart and rewire all up to include new 4 pin connector. But since not a priority for him, guess we see.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Blue tooth is a radio signal. What you are describing would be like connecting two walkie-talkies together with a comm wire. Kind of defeats the purpose of the radio signal if they are hard-wired together.

Somebody help me out here and explain what I'm missing.
The problem is, the wrong term is being used to describe the kit. They are not Bluetooth lights, they are wireless with a 2.4G transmitter and receiver- the 7/4 way trailer plug is the transmitter, and the magnetic rechargeable lights are the receivers. When the trailer plug transmitter receives a signal from one of the lighting circuits being activated, it transmits that signal to the appropriate trailer light(s).
The 2.4g transmitter is probably interfering with the radio frequency hub on the truck when it transmits a signal (the module that handles TPMS and key fobs), much like when people swap cheap aftermarket LED lights into the third brake light cargo lights- in that situation, when people unlock the truck, the cargo lights come on, and the aftermarket LED lights interfere with the RF Hub, and can’t start the truck unless you press the ignition button with the fob.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The problem is, the wrong term is being used to describe the kit. They are not Bluetooth lights, they are wireless with a 2.4G transmitter and receiver- the 7/4 way trailer plug is the transmitter, and the magnetic rechargeable lights are the receivers. When the trailer plug transmitter receives a signal from one of the lighting circuits being activated, it transmits that signal to the appropriate trailer light(s).
The 2.4g transmitter is probably interfering with the radio frequency hub on the truck when it transmits a signal (the module that handles TPMS and key fobs), much like when people swap cheap aftermarket LED lights into the third brake light cargo lights- in that situation, when people unlock the truck, the cargo lights come on, and the aftermarket LED lights interfere with the RF Hub, and can’t start the truck unless you press the ignition button with the fob.
Thank you.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
BOIRD unicorn. I DO not lend out my Chainsaw, Truck, MC or trailer, period. If there is a fail it's on me. When I used to lend stuff, hate getting stuff back and f-ubar'd up. The only person who uses my Chain Saws is my neighbor, and we work with each other to work on stuff.,. especially things like wind blown down trees. I helped him rewire his old trailer, but he was using old wiring and wire nuts and such. Now the 4 pin wiring job failing, only works for brake and turn signal. TOLD him to get proper re-wire kit and we would pull apart and rewire all up to include new 4 pin connector. But since not a priority for him, guess we see.
@turkeybird56 I get that. I should have specified that I was dealing with family members. They get a pass. My friends and neighbors are held to a higher standard.

As far as I'm concerned, a borrowed item should always be returned in the same (or preferably better) condition than it was received.

I have rebuilt borrowed chain saws, air compressors (reed valves) and power washers over the years to name a few. That's when I was young and poor with family.

I am far more discerning now. Family still gets a pass. Friends are held to the better than received standard. And yes, I have a lot of tools - that's my hoarding problem.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@turkeybird56 I get that. I should have specified that I was dealing with family members. They get a pass. My friends and neighbors are held to a higher standard.

As far as I'm concerned, a borrowed item should always be returned in the same (or preferably better) condition than it was received.

I have rebuilt borrowed chain saws, air compressors (reed valves) and power washers over the years to name a few. That's when I was young and poor with family.

I am far more discerning now. Family still gets a pass. Friends are held to the better than received standard. And yes, I have a lot of tools - that's my hoarding problem.
Guess I still unicorn. There is no family close lol.