Dealer won't change tire size in OBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob H 88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just put a slightly larger tire on my 1500 BTS edition and speedo is off by as much as 5 mph. Went to the dealer to have them input the correct tire size and was told the truck automatically senses tire size and auto adjusts speedo. Said only time they manually adjust is w 40 inch tires. Need a new dealer.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yes you do!!. However, my suggestion, get an MX+, Koadatech security cable and download AlphaOBD. For the same price as the dealer making that one change you now have the ability to do a whole lot more, including the inflation limits on your TPMS system.

I would have happily paid the dealer to fix the Fog light drop out, adjust TPMs limits etc but despite having a great Dealer, there is stuff they just can't access. They are locked out by Stellantis. That was actually what convinced me to get the AlphaOBD.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put a slightly larger tire on my 1500 BTS edition and speedo is off by as much as 5 mph. Went to the dealer to have them input the correct tire size and was told the truck automatically senses tire size and auto adjusts speedo. Said only time they manually adjust is w 40 inch tires. Need a new dealer.
Yeah U probably do need a new dealer.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Only trucks with factory gps can automatically calibrate tire size but there are still limitations. But the dealer didn’t completely lie

OP
OP
Rob H 88

Rob H 88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well if that's true and I have no reason to doubt you, then that seems to be a terrible flaw in the design as many truck owners change their tire sizes and by not providing a means to correct that would throw thousands of speedometer s off.

OP
OP
Rob H 88

Rob H 88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
True, I totally agree and that's why I called later to talk to the service manager who came from Ford and admitted he didn't know much about Ram yet but conferred with his coworker who supposedly knew a lot about Ram and basically just gave me a run around with no solution. Newdealer here I come

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
It's amazing what customers are told. Usually the "dealer" is a salesperson or a Service Advisor. I wouldn't believe anything those people say.
I took my 2010 Ram in for a required five year inspection (lifetime engine/PT warranty). They wanted to charge me $265 to replace one of the license plate lights that had burned out. Service advisor tried to tell me that they would have to pull the rear bumper.

I drove two blocks to an O'Reillys, got two bulbs for $5, threw one away, and replaced the burned out bulb in about two minutes. Dealer service really sucks!

2021Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Get the AEV ProCal kit. It will adjust for different size tires. I found that their formula didn't do very well so I got out my GPS and used that to get a more accurate speed.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Lawyers and liability. Costco won't install anything but a stock sized tire even if you bring in your own.

garyfattmann101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 1997, 1998
Engine
pscarbor, good luck with "lifetime warranty". My 2007 chrysler had that lifetime power train warranty! What a joke. in 2023 chrysler dealer told me car was too old to fix under warranty! They just told me it is a warranty until u need it! So they basically told me up yours! If u look online u will find everyone getting screwed

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
pscarbor, good luck with "lifetime warranty". My 2007 chrysler had that lifetime power train warranty! What a joke. in 2023 chrysler dealer told me car was too old to fix under warranty! They just told me it is a warranty until u need it! So they basically told me up yours! If u look online u will find everyone getting screwed
I have three relatives with lifetime warranties, none have been screwed. One has a 1500 and they have replaced his brakes, his shocks, and his transmission. It surprised me as I thought brakes and shocks were normal wear and tear and not covered. One had a dealer tell them basically what a dealer told you. They called Mopar who was quick to notify the dealer and tell them to honor the warranty. The lifetime warranty is a contract, not a joke.

MOPAR TECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF YOU GET LUCKY ENOUGH SOMETIMES YOU CAN CHANGE THE TIRE SIZE IN TIPM THERE ARE PREPROGRAMMED TO GO UP TO A CERTAIN SIZE I REC YOU GET THE FLASH CAL THROUGH SUPER CHIPS AND THAT WAY YOU CAN PROGRAM THE TIRE YOUR SELF

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get AlphaOBD if you use Android, OBD JScan if you use iPhone, and DIY
Agreed, for the price the dealer charges for one change, you can get the gear yourself, do that summer and winter PLUS a whole bunch more.

Oops, I see I said that already on this thread, oh well, bears repeating.