Oil Filter leak - Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landocarlesien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cumins
Stupid question - I just got my oil changed in a different state and noticed there is oil is leaking from the oil filter. If I remove the oil filter to check and refit it, is there any risk of oil falling down from the oil fitting since the truck has 12 quarts of oil? Thanks.

2022 Ram 3500 6.7L

Last edited:

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You won't have much oil drip at all after removing the filter on the 6.7.

You WILL make a huge mess if you don't use a ziploc or the filter tool that screws into the filter.

When you remove the filter, see if the old gasket is stuck on the block. Ask me how I know, LOL.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The way the oil filter sets on the engine, yes if you loosen the filter it will drool engine oil. You wont loose much, it wont tap into the engine pan contents. Maybe your current filter is just loose? Hopefully the techs didnt forget to make sure the gasket from the original filter came off with the filter.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the old gasket was stuck to the motor and the ******* that was doing the oil change left it on and screwed a new filter on with the new gasket, it can and will blow out the gasket and pump all the oil out on the road.
them the shop will be buying a new motor, it has happened.
It could be loose, but I would take it off and check it .
You will just need to add a bit to make up for wat is in the filter.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure it's the filter ?

I had a bad rear main seal in an small block once
The inspection cover on the 727 was missing and the oil leaked on the torque converter which flung it up and it landed on the filter

I replaces the 90 degree adapter, put a plate on it, took me forever to figure that one out

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The guys made great suggestions: One more suggestion, are you sure the filter is actually leaking. If they didn't wipe all the oil off the links etc you will get oil on your driveway or garage floor from it dripping off the running gear.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guys made great suggestions: One more suggestion, are you sure the filter is actually leaking. If they didn't wipe all the oil off the links etc you will get oil on your driveway or garage floor from it dripping off the running gear.
The way I figured out my issue was by taping a shoprag around the filter and going around the block

I was blown away when I checked the rag and found oil on the outside of, bit that's when I knew to start looking elsewhere

I've since learned that "the highest point where you see oil is the place of the leak" is not a universal truth, not when moving parts are involved

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Stupid question - I just got my oil changed in a different state and noticed there is oil is leaking from the oil filter. If I remove the oil filter to check and refit it, is there any risk of oil falling down from the oil fitting since the truck has 12 quarts of oil? Thanks.

2022 Ram 3500 6.7L
Try to see if tightening it up will help, but if you feel the need to remove it I would wait a few hours after shutting it off before you remove the filter.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If it is the oil filter -- sometimes a leak is hard to track down. If tightening the filter won't stop the leak then remove it and look at the gasket on the filter, and as suggested, check for the old filter gasket stuck to the block. That happened to me once. I had good hearing back then and only drove about 5 blocks from the shop and I actually heard the oil spewing out -- believe it or not. I stopped and opened the hood and saw oil everywhere.

Florida John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I used a NAPA filter instead of the OEM and had oil leaking because it did not seat correctly{?}

What is the tool to remove the oil filter? I've had enough oil baths, LOL

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 6.4 oil filter leaks if you dont crank it tight with a wrench. My old 5.7 was fine by hand so not sure whats up with this truck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 6.4 oil filter leaks if you dont crank it tight with a wrench. My old 5.7 was fine by hand so not sure whats up with this truck.
Possibly an imperfection/burr on the flange. Rare, but it happens.