Sirius cuts out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has started cutting out and refreshing the signal doesn’t help. I think it might be the tuner but I have not tried looking at the connections other than behind the radio itself? Does the tuner go bad?
Mine cut out really bad, to the point it was unusable. I had a Sirius unit, that I used in my 04, and used that antenna on the 2011. No more cutting out, except in a few spots around town. Might want to look at the antenna. I personally think the antenna that comes with the truck is crap. My niece had a 2015 Ram and it did the same thing.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 Hemi
For me, cutting out was almost always a satellite signal issue rather than a radio unit issue. A lot of things send off strong radio and telemetry waves that interfere. This is especially true if it's happening in the same location repeatedly.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
In my location, it is either underpasses or T-Mobile cell towers.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I experience this cutting out, usually in mountain passes with lot of trees. A line of site issue.

I don't experience it much anywhere else.

I travel via truck or SUV extensively and nationwide.

I have multiple sirus xm radios. 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24 model years. Classics, A JEEP or Durangos. All 8.4 screens, no larger screens. Only 1 has navigation, only 3 have car play.

My experience

Wbjrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone else have their sirius cut out in random open places? Mine does it at one intersection where they have a couple of billboards but doesn't do it in downtown Houston. It doesn't even do it in most parking garages.

That being said, I brought the truck in right before the warranty went out for sirius cutting out and navigation jumping around. They said the radio had thrown a code and needed to be replaced. The nav doesnt jump around anymore but he sirius still cuts out in the same places. Wierd
I have a 2018 2500. My Sirius only cuts out near an emergency medical center. I assume that they some sort of blanket over radio signals.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ever since I stopped wearing my tin foil hat.....my Sirius never cuts out. Seriously.....we live rural.....trees and mountains make me lose signal at times....otherwise....all's good.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 14 ,factory 8.4? radio , in Canada, there is one spot beside a large building on my south side that sirius will cut out when sitting at a light, IF I creep ahead to crosswalk line, it will come back. Always does it at that same spot, my garage will give problems when the over head door is open. I never bother with the nav so don't know if it cuts out or not.
You guys down south out in the country, maybe too close to area 51? ;)

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Mine is going to cut out permanently on 6/24. Then they will stop calling me twice a day to renew my free subscription! : )

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI... The 4th Gen flat rooftop antenna is for SXM and GPS (sharkfin adds cellular) and they have been known to go bad and are a cheaper replacement than the radio for an attempted fix. (Can also get a temporary fakra extension cable to sit it on the dash to test for awhile before touching the roof.)

Of course if it drops out at the same locations around town, it's likely just a bad signal spot as someone mentioned.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
In my location, it is either underpasses or T-Mobile cell towers.

I was about to to say the same thing, re TMO.

Simple explanation: Certain cellular frequencies TMO utilizes are adjacent to SXM satellite frequencies. In urban areas, the strong land-based cellular signal can "drown out" the much weaker signal coming from space. The problem can be made worse with SXM receivers & antennas of lesser quality.

There are a couple of locations in Houston where I experience identical SXM dropouts in my 2012 and 2023 Ram.

Years ago it turned into a circular firing squad between TMO & SXM. The SXM receivers fall under FCC Part 15 rules which state:

This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: 1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and 2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

TMO can basically tell SXM to go pound sand.

Here's a bit of light reading about the issue:

https://www.fierce-network.com/inst...ing-sirius-xm-s-signal-at-certain-cell-towers

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/sirius-xm-listeners-do-you-have-problems-with-reception/