Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI
Too bad these forums don't support mechanisms to prevent this, like requiring a user to be a member for at least one year and > 50 messages before posting in certain threads ... or something to that effect.
Oh, but they do. Here's the basic documentation on how to accomplish this: XenForo Permissions and Groups.

You could also kindly ask the forum administrators to implement this restriction for certain threads, sub-forums, or even entire categories. Honestly, the sky's the limit when it comes to this forum software. Whatever's not supported in the core software, there's a 99% chance there's an extension for it.

This thread comes up a lot in Google searches and FB groups, especially when people are dealing with HEMI lifter issues. Members like Burla and Corey are legends on FB, and they’re talked about with great respect for finding a cure to the HEMI tick. It’s hard to find a RAM or HEMI group on FB where they don't talk about you guys.

Then there are the trolls, and this guy, who goes by "Tom57" here, is one of them. He's been on several forums lately, and his posting style gives him away quickly. I found his posts here by doing a Google search. It's always the same story: he acts like he knows everything about oil, and if he's allowed to continue, he'll steer you to a certain forum where you can "broaden your knowledge" about lubricants. He's been doing this in a few forums I'm part of, and it's gotten to the point where some of us decided to warn others about him. As entertaining as engaging with him might be, it can get irritating quickly. It’d be nice if he stuck to his own forum and left the rest of us alone. But it seems like his forum is struggling, and he needs new users. In my opinion, this is not a good way to get them.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Nothing picks up an electrical block load in a standby generator like a Detroit Diesel 2 stroker smoker. With twice the pops per revolution than a 4 stroke motor, even with less compression per stroke, it more than made up for less peak cylinder pressure. They always sound like they're gonna explode since they sound like they're running twice as fast as they really are. The frequency is grating.

Then again, nothing pollutes & sucks fuel like one, either. Being a genetic gearhead, I always rode the city bus to school sitting in back next to the 6V or 8V92 engine. Could almost fall asleep to it. Dad was the same way.
Agreed, we would do a load dump on them just for fun during our load tests just to see and hear their reactions. They barely flinched when 100+KW blocks we slammed on them at a single time.
Amazing engines!

A lot of the old timers in QC use them in their racing rigs.
Been to a few rig pull events and they love their Detroit 2-strokes.
Rolling coal like a demon!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Agreed, we would do a load dump on them just for fun during our load tests just to see and hear their reactions. They barely flinched when 100+KW blocks we slammed on them at a single time.
Amazing engines!

A lot of the old timers in QC use them in their racing rigs.
Been to a few rig pull events and they love their Detroit 2-strokes.
Rolling coal like a demon!
ahhh good old tractor pull events :favorites13: we have a few in my region usually at the same time as the county fair, now thats a good time :drunk:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then there are the trolls, and this guy, who goes by "Tom57" here, is one of them. He's been on several forums lately, and his posting style gives him away quickly. I found his posts here by doing a Google search. It's always the same story: he acts like he knows everything about oil, and if he's allowed to continue, he'll steer you to a certain forum where you can "broaden your knowledge" about lubricants. He's been doing this in a few forums I'm part of, and it's gotten to the point where some of us decided to warn others about him. As entertaining as engaging with him might be, it can get irritating quickly. It’d be nice if he stuck to his own forum and left the rest of us alone. But it seems like his forum is struggling, and he needs new users. In my opinion, this is not a good way to get them.
I'd rather invite Lakespeed Jr. to be a member here on this forum and give us advise. He actually shows us everything on youtube for free.
That said, can't always replicate all situations and stuff in the lab. Real world testing is where its at, and that is what this thread is. I respect the work of @Hemi395 in giving us real world testing on his own vehicle.
The real experts are @Burla @Travis8352 @HEMIMANN and many others who have contributed to the knowledge on this thread.
If you're looking for a short answer on how to keep your Hemi running perfectly fine, its here...

This is what have I learned going through everything I did and reading all the posts on this thread.

Anyone who has just purchased a Ram 1500 (new or used) with the 5.7 HEMI should do the following right away.

1. Forget what the manual says because manufacturers are only chasing EPA ratings.

2. Keep the oil change intervals short. I'm doing it at every 5000 kms (approx 3000 miles). The advise is to change it every 3000 - 4000 miles, if you want the best results and plan on keeping the vehicle long term. Otherwise, change it every 5000 miles, but no more than that.

3. Use a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil.
Recommended oil for the 5.7 Hemis are:
- Redline 5w30 - if the budget allows and you can use it, then you can take the change interval to about every 5000 miles. The ones below, every 3 - 4k miles.
- Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0w40
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard Biotech
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40
- Liquimoly Molygen 5w30 with LM Hydraulic Lifter Fluid.

Other honorable mentions are: (Again change every 3 -4k miles)
- Valvoline Fully Synthetic 5w30
- Castrol Edge 5w30 / 0w40
- Castrol Magnatec SUV 5w30 C3
- Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic 5w30

4. If you have a Hemi lifter tick, and you don't want to do a rebuild, then use Redline HP 5w40 first and then RL HP 5w30 continuous after. Another recommended combo is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard Biotech.

I can't recommend Amsoil SS 5w30 because my engine didn't sound too good with it and the cost of the oil for me here in Dubai was about the same as Redline. I only used it because Redline was not available. Maybe I can give it another try.
Considering Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is readily available anywhere, I think that it is the best choice for anyone after Redline.

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI
Question: If we are able to recommend 0w40, can we recommend 5w40 or even 10w40?
The Negative: the higher the Winter Number, the less VII your oil has, the worse the cold start performance is. Conversely, to get a 0W-40, you need more VII, and lighter base stock, so you NOACK goes up.
The Positive: the higher the Winter Number, the lower the NOACK. So a 10W-40 will have way lower NOACK than a 0W-40. That's true at least in theory, unless we're talking about junk tier 10W-40 oils.

Is NOACK important? As long as it's 10% or less, no, not so much. Install an oil catch can, and keep an eye on it. A catch can will reveal a lot about your oil, fuel dilution, etc., but most importantly, it will reveal a lot about your driving habits. Translation: if your catch can fills up fast, and there is nothing wrong with your engine, and you're using decent motor oil, then the man (or woman) behind the wheel is the problem.

I'd rather invite Lakespeed Jr. to be a member here on this forum and give us advise. He actually shows us everything on youtube for free.
That said, can't always replicate all situations and stuff in the lab. Real world testing is where its at, and that is what this thread is. I respect the work of @Hemi395 in giving us real world testing on his own vehicle.
The real experts are @Burla @Travis8352 @HEMIMANN and many others who have contributed to the knowledge on this thread.
If you're looking for a short answer on how to keep your Hemi running perfectly fine, its here...

This is what have I learned going through everything I did and reading all the posts on this thread.

Anyone who has just purchased a Ram 1500 (new or used) with the 5.7 HEMI should do the following right away.

1. Forget what the manual says because manufacturers are only chasing EPA ratings.

2. Keep the oil change intervals short. I'm doing it at every 5000 kms (approx 3000 miles). The advise is to change it every 3000 - 4000 miles, if you want the best results and plan on keeping the vehicle long term. Otherwise, change it every 5000 miles, but no more than that.

- Redline 5w30 - if the budget allows and you can use it, then you can take the change interval to about every 5000 miles. The ones below, every 3 - 4k miles.

4. If you have a Hemi lifter tick, and you don't want to do a rebuild, then use Redline HP 5w40 first and then RL HP 5w30 continuous after. Another recommended combo is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard Biotech.

I can't recommend Amsoil SS 5w30 because my engine didn't sound too good with it and the cost of the oil for me here in Dubai was about the same as Redline. I only used it because Redline was not available. Maybe I can give it another try.
Considering Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is readily available anywhere, I think that it is the best choice for anyone after Redline.
All of this is solid advice. However, I like to chase trolls as a hobby. Everyone needs a past-time, and chasing trolls on the Interwebs is as good as any. Hi @Tom57!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Question: If we are able to recommend 0w40, can we recommend 5w40 or even 10w40?

Yes if not subject to cold starts like us idiots in the far north.
Some guys just use oil pan heaters and summer oil.
Whatever works for you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This just in- like most of us been saying for years, the more garbage you have hanging off a hemi, the worst the outcome, not the better the outcome. link So if you fell for the 5.7-liter Hemi e-Torque mild hybrid system then that's on you. Don't trust any of this garbage period. Stellantis admits the issue, their admission "it's an electrical problem". Yeah no kidding fools, lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This just in- like most of us been saying for years, the more garbage you have hanging off a hemi, the worst the outcome, not the better the outcome. link So if you fell for the 5.7-liter Hemi e-Torque mild hybrid system then that's on you. Don't trust any of this garbage period. Stellantis admits the issue, their admission "it's an electrical problem". Yeah no kidding fools, lol.

This reminds me of the "hyperbar" gas turbine / diesel engine combo experiment that burned down a million dollar test cell.

Science Fairs are fun. As long as it's someone else's money.

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI
I've been hearing whispers that CEO Carlos Tavares might be facing a vote of no-confidence soon, and honestly, it can't come fast enough. The guy’s single-handedly tanked the brands that brought Stellantis the most cash, all in the name of quarterly profits.

Word on the street is that the Italian government is rallying Stellantis's biggest investors to boot Carlos out, all because of the nonsense the company’s pulling in Italy. And of all reasons, this is the one that's supposedly bringing him down. Among the shenanigans are things like slapping the "Eyetalian" (shoutout to Inglourious Basterds) flag on cars made in Poland, Morocco, and other cheap, sunny spots.

I mean, nothing screams "Made in Italy" like a shipload of FIATs cruising into The Port of Cagliari straight from Safi. But I digress...

This guy needs to go. We want our mediocre, yet battle-hardened HEMIs. Nothing says "American" like an engine you can rebuild in your own backyard, driveway, or garage.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I can add this oil (from my experience) as a cheap alternative in Australia. I used it from near new until about 6000kM when I changed to Redline 5W-30. There was no Hemi tick on it other than the "parked nose downhill" I get with any oil including Redline. It meets MS-6395 too.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use LubeGaurd BioTech with the Penrit Vantage Semi Synthetic 5w/30?

No. At about 1500kM the original fill oil was really stinky, horrid look and smell to it and it was making Hemi tick noises. I didn't want to go the a full synthetic at that low kM so I put that Penrite oil in. It was during Covid and was the only MS-6395 compliant oil I could buy locally. I also used a local (Ryco) synthetic media oil filter as I could not buy RP or Fram locally. To be honest I did not notice any difference in noises between the Penrite semi-syn and Redline 5W-30. It could possibly be a decent long term oil as I change oil and filter every 7,000kM, I just didn't want to try any new experiments as Redline 5W-30 worked and has worked for many others.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
No. At about 1500kM the original fill oil was really stinky, horrid look and smell to it and it was making Hemi tick noises. I didn't want to go the a full synthetic at that low kM so I put that Penrite oil in. It was during Covid and was the only MS-6395 compliant oil I could buy locally. I also used a local (Ryco) synthetic media oil filter as I could not buy RP or Fram locally. To be honest I did not notice any difference in noises between the Penrite semi-syn and Redline 5W-30. It could possibly be a decent long term oil as I change oil and filter every 7,000kM, I just didn't want to try any new experiments as Redline 5W-20 worked and has worked for many others.

Well, that's excellent to know that there is an known alternative for you if Red Line, or equivalent isn't readily available.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Oh, but they do. Here's the basic documentation on how to accomplish this: XenForo Permissions and Groups.

You could also kindly ask the forum administrators to implement this restriction for certain threads, sub-forums, or even entire categories. Honestly, the sky's the limit when it comes to this forum software. Whatever's not supported in the core software, there's a 99% chance there's an extension for it.

This thread comes up a lot in Google searches and FB groups, especially when people are dealing with HEMI lifter issues. Members like Burla and Corey are legends on FB, and they’re talked about with great respect for finding a cure to the HEMI tick. It’s hard to find a RAM or HEMI group on FB where they don't talk about you guys.

I wasn't going make a note, but decided to anyway.

Your a "very recent new" member making note of someone "trolling" whom introduced "himself" as a new member and made posts here in the RAMforum's for comment/viewing.

You showed up and are interested in "troll patrol" ... we may not all agree on certain things and to label someone "new" a troll that actually believes they are helping or contributing something they considered useful, your troll notation isn't helpful.

jm2c

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Your a "very recent new" member making note of someone "trolling" whom introduced "himself" as a new member and made posts here in the RAMforum's for comment/viewing.

You showed up and are interested in "troll patrol" ... we may not all agree on certain things and to label someone "new" a troll that actually believes they are helping or contributing something they considered useful, your troll notation isn't helpful.

jm2c
There is no reasoning with this guy dub, like ramfmll says, don't feed the new guys who posts are crooked and slimy as if any of us wanna hear it. But don't think the mods are on your side either, surely they aren't, just use ignore function bro, already used it 3 times this week, ha. Glad stellantis isn't the one who built that ignore function, then it would likely be broken half the time. We seam to live rent free in their head, don't return that favor. Mods cant cut them off, they just come back, ignore only answer,

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
There is no reasoning with this guy dub, like ramfmll says, don't feed the new guys who posts are crooked and slimy as if any of us wanna hear it. But don't think the mods are on your side either, surely they aren't, just use ignore function bro, already used it 3 times this week, ha. Glad stellantis isn't the one who built that ignore function, then it would likely be broken half the time. We seam to live rent free in their head, don't return that favor. Mods cant cut them off, they just come back, ignore only answer,

Yep, thanks Mike, good advice.

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI

jm2c

Whoever spends their precious time trying to "educate" you all about lubricants, pontificating and preaching their "bitog-isms," seriously needs a head check. You folks are a wonderfully friendly bunch who haven't harmed anyone. No one has the right to come here and hassle you. I've got a bit of a "soft spot" for these trolls, honestly. There's nothing quite like watching bored and intellectually bankrupt folks from that forum come over here to "teach" and "preach." So yes, poking fun at their ridiculousness is an absolute hoot. Maybe we could even share the entertainment and joy of making fun of them together!