Tapping on brain trust once again....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have a 2020 2500 Hemi 6.4 and it is making a whiny noise in the undercarriage toward driver side/transmission area.

I have tried to do research and come across the hemi tick, as well as known exhaust noise for that year/type truck. Not entirely sure what is going on with it, but would love to pick brains prior to dropping off at dealership only to be told there is nothing to be done and be out $250+

It seems to be a bit worse when cold, continues through driving even after warm up and does not seem to change in sound level or pitch based on gear.

Preview attachment RAM NOISE.mp3
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...646451&th=1909e63e317415b3&view=att&disp=safe
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...646451&th=1909e63e317415b3&view=att&disp=safe

icon_1_audio_x32.png
RAM NOISE.mp3
122 KB

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also, I tried my best to check each pulley, and none of them seem to be causing the sound

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2020 2500 Hemi 6.4 and it is making a whiny noise in the undercarriage toward driver side/transmission area.

I have tried to do research and come across the hemi tick, as well as known exhaust noise for that year/type truck. Not entirely sure what is going on with it, but would love to pick brains prior to dropping off at dealership only to be told there is nothing to be done and be out $250+

It seems to be a bit worse when cold, continues through driving even after warm up and does not seem to change in sound level or pitch based on gear.

Preview attachment RAM NOISE.mp3

View attachment 546572
RAM NOISE.mp3
122 KB
4x4? If so, transfer case? Miles on unit? Any recent services to coincide?

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
4x4? If so, transfer case? Miles on unit? Any recent services to coincide?
It is 4x4. I haven’t checked the transfer case, the noise seems a bit closer to the front but in that general area.

29,000 miles — I recently purchased it and didn’t notice when buying as it was warmed up etc, doesn’t mean it wasn’t making the noise.

No recent service other than dealership prep for sale with oil and filter change.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is 4x4. I haven’t checked the transfer case, the noise seems a bit closer to the front but in that general area.

29,000 miles — I recently purchased it and didn’t notice when buying as it was warmed up etc, doesn’t mean it wasn’t making the noise.

No recent service other than dealership prep for sale with oil and filter change.
Might be worth a look. It's a simple check. Seems pre-delivery inspection should have checked that, but we all know dealerships BS a lot of that documentation to expedite the sale. I can't get the sound clips to open on my end, so I'm a bit limited. I'm rereading your initial post. This is happening sitting idle, in park, as well as while driving?

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Might be worth a look. It's a simple check. Seems pre-delivery inspection should have checked that, but we all know dealerships BS a lot of that documentation to expedite the sale. I can't get the sound clips to open on my end, so I'm a bit limited. I'm rereading your initial post. This is happening sitting idle, in park, as well as while driving?
Yes, it is happening at all stages of transmission cycle.

Any tips on how to check the transfer case?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it is happening at all stages of transmission cycle.

Any tips on how to check the transfer case?
There should be a fill and drain port on the transfer case. Remove the upper (fill) port plug and see if fluid is present. Crack it loose and slowly back it out and if fluid starts to trickle past threads, you'll know there is fluid in there. If nothing trickles out while you're backing the plug out, remove the plug and stick your little finger in the port and see if it comes back with fluid on it. If yes, you're good on the transfer case. If no, you'll have to improvise a "dipstick" of sorts and probe into the case to see how low it is. Hopefully at some point you return with fluid.

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
See if this new audio will open for you

Attachments

• RAM NOISE.zip
    121.6 KB · Views: 7

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There should be a fill and drain port on the transfer case. Remove the upper (fill) port plug and see if fluid is present. Crack it loose and slowly back it out and if fluid starts to trickle past threads, you'll know there is fluid in there. If nothing trickles out while you're backing the plug out, remove the plug and stick your little finger in the port and see if it comes back with fluid on it. If yes, you're good on the transfer case. If no, you'll have to improvise a "dipstick" of sorts and probe into the case to see how low it is. Hopefully at some point you return with fluid.
Properly filled, that t-case should have fluid to the bottom of the fill port (some say it should "steady trickle" out when properly filled, plug removed).

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See if this new audio will open for you
It did open, but I'm not picking up anything that sounds like a whine. Sounds like mechanical parts in motion and maybe some injector ticking?

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It did open, but I'm not picking up anything that sounds like a whine. Sounds like mechanical parts in motion and maybe some injector ticking?
I suppose it is more of a squeaking/squeal noise. I can try to take another sound clip that’s a bit easier to hear it

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I suppose it is more of a squeaking/squeal noise. I can try to take another sound clip that’s a bit easier to hear it
Okay, took another it’s not as loud right now go figure since I’m trying to record it.

Attachments

• Ram 2.zip
    107.6 KB · Views: 5

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up the squeak that time. Where on the vehicle are you "aiming" to get that recording? is that inside the engine compartment or near where the trans/engine mate?

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Picked up the squeak that time. Where on the vehicle are you "aiming" to get that recording? is that inside the engine compartment or near where the trans/engine mate?
Under driver front wheel just past exhaust that bends behind transmission

OP
OP
JWA_Two

JWA_Two

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Under driver front wheel area where exhaust curves behind transmission