Towing with the Ram...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The reason diesels need exhaust or jake brakes is because they will not "engine brake" like a gas engine will. They dont have throttles. A gas truck in tow haul mode changes the downshifting and converter lockup strategy, which absolutely helps with decelerating a load.

dalewalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
P,perhaps you are just using odd terminology, but tow/haul is for accelerating, while brakes and down shifting are for slowing on any 1500. Being in tow/haul will not "utilize engine braking" as there is no engine brake on a 1500...
Yes, it's just a difference in terminology. I'm well aware that my truck doesn't have 'true' engine braking... But tow/haul, because it uses a lower gear, helps slow the truck

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
P,perhaps you are just using odd terminology, but tow/haul is for accelerating, while brakes and down shifting are for slowing on any 1500. Being in tow/haul will not "utilize engine braking" as there is no engine brake on a 1500...
Tow/haul most certainly works for both going up hill and going down hill. Acceleration and Deceleration.

It raises the RPMs of the truck both for more power for going up and for more RPMs for coming down.

Go find a steep hill, drive down it. Then drive down it in tow/haul.

He doesn't mean an engine brake. He means engine braking just as he wrote. The truck will select lower transmission gear, effectively raising the RPM, hence...allowing the engine to help with braking.

Ram Fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Latest Ram (2022 2500) has the tow haul mode. Im pulling a boat at 4600lbs . The Tow Haul mode does feel like it holds the gear longer when driving. Also much nicer when decelerating. I do not feel the truck going in and out of gear with hills either.

Jack F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hi all, I have a '12 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with 5.7l & 3.55 gears. I will be towing a 3500# popup a couple hours from home. I'm new to this platform, but have a lot of towing experience. I know this is light work for the truck, but I'm just looking for advice. What gears to stay in or out of? Manually shift, or just put it in tow/haul mode and let the truck do its thing; etc??

Thanks!!
hi,i have a 2022 1500 3.6 Pentastar engine,i pull a 4000 lbs travel trailer and only press tow/haul button if going up hill a lot

MikeF69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
anything I tow I leave in tow/haul mode. what does it hurt to be safe.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I would only do this if it actually sways behind the truck. Most of the time they don't, if they do it's usually due to improper loading.

Otherwise, put the truck in tow/haul and go - you'll be fine with that load.
I agree but it’s a cheap layer of extra protection.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi gas engine. I tow my 9000lb boat and have gone down 1 mile long hills and not touched the brake. Actually have to give it a little gas to keep up to speed.

MrMagumba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm new to this platform

As implied by others. I think your biggest concern is the camper, not the truck. 3500 pounds? I assume that is still a single axle. The camper can bounce around a lot and start taking damage if you can't find a speed where it tows smoothly. Just need to experiment to find a gear that gives a smooth ride depending on how the seams in the road are spaced. Maybe that's in tow mode or maybe not.
A cool thing in my 2021 Hemi 5.7 is the "auto braking" - when the cruise control is on and I start going down a steep hill, the tranny automatically down shifts to try to maintain a slower speed. Never had that in any other vehicle. They would just go to idle and you would keep accelerating downhill.
Also love driving in tow mode with no trailer when navigating the turns in Yellowstone, Glacier, and Rocky Mountain parks.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is odd, because mine down-shifts and uses engine compression, i.e., engine breaking. What we do not have is an exhaust break as diesels do. I must have a unicorn.....

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also keep in mind that when using tow/haul mode it locks out top gear. On my '16 with the 6 speed it will only shift up to 5th gear when in tow/haul mode. The same thing on the '19-newer trucks with the 8 speed, as it locks out 8th gear and will only run in 7th. The reason is that the top gear is usually really tall and only capable of keeping an empty truck at speed (or lightly loaded). If pulling a moderate size trailer and not running in tow/haul there is a good chance the trans will rarely, if ever, shift into the top gear. When people say the trans does not downshift as much when in tow/haul mode......that's the reason why. It's already running in a lower gear.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
If you get the Torque Pro smartphone app ($5) and a bluetooth plugin you can use it to monitor transmission temperature. Less than 185, you're fine. More than that and you'll have issues.

I have a 2010 with a 65RFE. It's not a good transmission, but if you're careful it should last you for a while. I have 150k on my 2010 and I'm on my second one (never towed with the truck). I'm hoping it makes it to 200k.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get the Torque Pro smartphone app ($5) and a bluetooth plugin you can use it to monitor transmission temperature. Less than 185, you're fine. More than that and you'll have issues.

I have a 2010 with a 65RFE. It's not a good transmission, but if you're careful it should last you for a while. I have 150k on my 2010 and I'm on my second one (never towed with the truck). I'm hoping it makes it to 200k.
AI Overview
Learn more…Opens in new tab

The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is between 175° and 225° F, which is similar to the normal engine temperature. However, temperatures above 200° F can indicate overheating and cause problems for the transmission:
  • 240° F: Additives in the ATF begin to break down, which can lead to varnish formation
  • 260° F: Internal transmission seals begin to harden, which can lead to leaks
  • 295° F: Transmission clutch plates begin to slip
  • 315° F: Seals and clutches burn out
  • 300° F+ heat: A typical transmission will die within 2000 miles

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
AI Overview
Learn more…Opens in new tab

The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is between 175° and 225° F, which is similar to the normal engine temperature. However, temperatures above 200° F can indicate overheating and cause problems for the transmission:
  • 240° F: Additives in the ATF begin to break down, which can lead to varnish formation
  • 260° F: Internal transmission seals begin to harden, which can lead to leaks
  • 295° F: Transmission clutch plates begin to slip
  • 315° F: Seals and clutches burn out
  • 300° F+ heat: A typical transmission will die within 2000 miles
Mine never gets above 150, even in summer and driving 80 on the interstate. Driving around town it's usually around 145.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is odd, because mine down-shifts and uses engine compression, i.e., engine breaking. What we do not have is an exhaust break as diesels do. I must have a unicorn.....
I agree with you. I have a 2017 5.7 Laramie. When I tow my trailer up and down the mountains in PA. The tow mode definitely helps with the shifting going up the mountains, but also holds the gears longer going down the other side.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My 09 will display transmission temp in the screen in the gauge cluster. I’m assuming the 2012 will as well.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Truck will be fine.
Focus more on trailer prep. Mainly tires. Check condition and date codes. If they're dry rot and 5+yrs old, go buy new ones. This includes the spare tire. Next, wheel hub bearings. If you don't know when the bearings were last repacked, do it now. And finally, lighting. Make sure all your lights function. Usually while hooked up with the hazards on and parking light switch on you can test all functions at once. If the trailer plug or harness is shoddy, replace it.
There's nothing worse than being on the side of the road with a roasted bearing, blown tire, or no trailer lights at night.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SSRAM1GT