65RFE Lucas Transmission Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello, this is my experience with LTF, i’m making this so people can learn and fix their vehicles if they have tranny issues that aren’t catastrophically bad.

A few days ago i decided to pick up LTF from O’reillys. At the time my Torque Converter loved to make a rattling noise at around 1300-1500 RPM, which i thought was just normal 65RFE behavior.

Also, the truck loved to “slip” (it never really felt like it was slipping.) on drives. What i mean by this is that the truck would shift just fine coming off from a stop, but slowing down and then re-accelerating would cause the engine to just stay at around 1500-1900 RPMs until it eventually shifted into a lower gear, but during it staying at 1500-1900 it would gain speed with no problems.

I dropped LTF into the transmission fill check tube (2 bottles, one isn’t enough for the 65RFE) and immediately it was a huge difference. The rattling is completely gone, and it seems the shifts are a lot more firm and less slushy. It kinda helped the previously mentioned “slipping”, but to me, i think that’s just how every 65RFE acts.

Regarding temperatures, the transmission still never goes above 130, and the highest it’s recently been was 129, and that was just after adding it.

Regarding fluid levels, Yes, it does rise. But it’s okay. Lucas is designed for this. It stops tranny leaks, contains friction modifiers to improve the grip between clutch plates inside the transmission, and also creates a polymeric film on the transmission bands to help prevent slipping, and removes sludge in the valve body to help out shifting even more.

Hope this helps anyone out that comes across it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So modern transmissions are made to operate on thin oil, it is thin and getting thinner, 8 speed even thinner the rfe, and rfe thinner then older simple transmissions, new oils like maxlife are thinner then both ram transmissions specs at below 6 cSt. But, clearly all rams with these thin fluids are susceptible to problems at a higher rate than many other applications.

So Ender is going thicker like many of us do with hemi engines. It's hard to say if this will pay off or that we can even prove if it will pay off, but it is certainly a strategy based in science. One 24 ounces LTF will bump operating temps from 7 ish to about a little over 8 for atf4. The real question is cold shifts, how will those work? This product is not like their engine oil stabilizer, it has a visc of only 48 in comparison, and the sump is much larger, so the increase in visc will be small, but significant maybe 2 full points. I hope people that are having rattles or shudder in their transmissions to consider testing this or something else. Especially if you don't go through the valve body, which I would probably recommend first, but not everyone can do that. Report individual testing here.

A good time to try is if there is a flush on the horizon, see if this eliminates shudder or rattle and if not just flush and move over to some fresh redline c+ or d6. Redline c+ took my shudder away, so I would think something similar to what happened to Ender.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles are on your truck, and has it had routine servicing of the trans before?

Asking because I've never had this or any other kind of difficulty with a RFE (one in a WJ with high miles, now in my Ram which still has fairly low miles)

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
How many miles are on your truck, and has it had routine servicing of the trans before?

Asking because I've never had this or any other kind of difficulty with a RFE (one in a WJ with high miles, now in my Ram which still has fairly low miles)

My truck has 450K miles and has had the trans serviced every 30K miles.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
That's really good mileage for both the engine and transmission! My 2013 R/T with 65RFE does not operate like yours at all; I also only have 93,000 miles. Granted my truck has a different engine, but yours sounds like the transmission is starting to die.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That's really good mileage for both the engine and transmission! My 2013 R/T with 65RFE does not operate like yours at all; I also only have 93,000 miles. Granted my truck has a different engine, but yours sounds like the transmission is starting to die.

If the tranny does die, which i doubt will happen as it’s done this since 200K, i’m planning on swapping in the 8SP. Seems like a really hardcore upgrade.

edit: every time i change the tranny fluid (except for the first time i changed it) there was 0 metal on the magnet. first time i changed it, there was some, but barely any.

second edit: maybe it’s something with the TCM.

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the tranny does die, which i doubt will happen as it’s done this since 200K, i’m planning on swapping in the 8SP. Seems like a really hardcore upgrade.

edit: every time i change the tranny fluid (except for the first time i changed it) there was 0 metal on the magnet. first time i changed it, there was some, but barely any.

second edit: maybe it’s something with the TCM.

No metal doesn't mean everything is good.Where you really need to look is inside the filter.Smash it apart and have a look you'll probably be surprised.That's where you'll find the clutch fibre material.Lucas is about as good as it gets for a lot of things but in this case it's a bandaide.IMHO.Good luck.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
No metal doesn't mean everything is good.Where you really need to look is inside the filter.Smash it apart and have a look you'll probably be surprised.That's where you'll find the clutch fibre material.Lucas is about as good as it gets for a lot of things but in this case it's a bandaide.IMHO.Good luck.

Next time i’ll have to look. Thank you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure if there is any real way to get definite answers, but I think this guy is headed kinda exactly where I was heading. Beware of cold flow issues! As you see any use at all and this stuff loses visc, the cooked lucas faster then fresh lucas. I don't think I'd be tossing this stuff in a new transmission, or a transmission that is young enough that doing real upgrades will help with longevity, but having said that I think this may be the type of product that can help an aging transmissions with certain issues.

Especially if the owner has accepted that they won't be addressing the issue with a real fix. I think trans fix potentially is more useful then lucas stabilizer that I also think has a place, but a very limited one as in the only time I'd use that is if I had ring damage. Most people I would not recommend just dumping any of these types of products in, but hey if your situation is like Enders, this may really be a thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'm not sure if there is any real way to get definite answers, but I think this guy is headed kinda exactly where I was heading. Beware of cold flow issues! As you see any use at all and this stuff loses visc, the cooked lucas faster then fresh lucas. I don't think I'd be tossing this stuff in a new transmission, or a transmission that is young enough that doing real upgrades will help with longevity, but having said that I think this may be the type of product that can help an aging transmissions with certain issues.

Especially if the owner has accepted that they won't be addressing the issue with a real fix. I think trans fix potentially is more useful then lucas stabilizer that I also think has a place, but a very limited one as in the only time I'd use that is if I had ring damage. Most people I would not recommend just dumping any of these types of products in, but hey if your situation is like Enders, this may really be a thing.

I’m going to look at it when all this coronavirus stuff is over. Like previously stated, it only “slips” when you’re not at a complete stop at a low speed and then accelerate again. When at a complete stop and accelerating, it doesn’t slip at all, and shifts beautifully, which has lead me to believe that’s just how the 65RFE is (or mine in particular) as it’s done it for over 200K miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another trans fix that I actually had success with is auto rx, it actually cleans safely without solvent via esters. Another thing to consider.

So I had an 1995 f body, it would stick in first and second gear, simply would not shift. Dumped in auto rx, shifted as if it was new. I sold that vehicle, the guy actually kept in touch with me for a decade and told me it was the best vehicle he ever had. So clearly, that fix lasted.

So I think different trans fix products would address different issues, it isn't one size fixes all. Sometimes you might need a cleaner, sometimes you might need a thickener.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Another trans fix that I actually had success with is auto rx, it actually cleans safely without solvent via esters. Another thing to consider.

So I had an 1995 f body, it would stick in first and second gear, simply would not shift. Dumped in auto rx, shifted as if it was new. I sold that vehicle, the guy actually kept in touch with me for a decade and told me it was the best vehicle he ever had. So clearly, that fix lasted.

So I think different trans fix products would address different issues, it isn't one size fixes all. Sometimes you might need a cleaner, sometimes you might need a thickener.

This is very off topic, but it seems like my truck is amazing with gas when it’s low. I did something stupid today and drove 50 miles to somewhere without filling up on less than a quarter of a tank, and the truck managed to get me home (45 miles) with the fuel so low it wasn’t even registering.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I rode with my friend in his truck, a 2012 1500 with the same drivetrain. His truck has 95K on it, and it does the same thing mine does. Are the newer 65RFEs like part of a newer generation or what?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I rode with my friend in his truck, a 2012 1500 with the same drivetrain. His truck has 95K on it, and it does the same thing mine does. Are the newer 65RFEs like part of a newer generation or what?

Those were the early years, it could be worse you could be like me and have the 545. The 68, 66, and 65 rfe's were born in 2012 I do believe. The Valve Bodies on these things can be built which really can help issues. But I'd say you are past the point of building at this point, just try your fixes and ride til it dies. You already surpassed average by a lot.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Those were the early years, it could be worse you could be like me and have the 545. The 68, 66, and 65 rfe's were born in 2012 I do believe. The Valve Bodies on these things can be built which really can help issues. But I'd say you are past the point of building at this point, just try your fixes and ride til it dies. You already surpassed average by a lot.

Yeah, i don’t think any 4.7s have surpassed 400K let alone 200K. Most of them die at around 140, if i recall correctly. The 545RFE is a train wreck iirc.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My strongest opinion against chrysler is that they’re very stupid for not putting the 8HP70 behind the 4.7 and continuing it on for a while longer. They could’ve made the emissions better and it would’ve offered better gas mileage than the 5.7, but more torque than the 3.6L.

I love the hemis, but it’s proven that FCA won’t do anything for the massive amounts of issues they have. They’ll use the best automatic transmissions but won’t make it to where the engines are at least up to spec. If they just solved the lifter problems then i don’t think they’d have an issue reliability wise.

I love the 65-66-68 RFEs but whoever geared them must’ve been higher than a kite.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So is it lugging in a higher gear than normal if you go to accelerate after slowing down?

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My strongest opinion against chrysler is that they’re very stupid for not putting the 8HP70 behind the 4.7 and continuing it on for a while longer. They could’ve made the emissions better and it would’ve offered better gas mileage than the 5.7, but more torque than the 3.6L.

I love the hemis, but it’s proven that FCA won’t do anything for the massive amounts of issues they have. They’ll use the best automatic transmissions but won’t make it to where the engines are at least up to spec. If they just solved the lifter problems then i don’t think they’d have an issue reliability wise.

I love the 65-66-68 RFEs but whoever geared them must’ve been higher than a kite.

I agree the 4.7 if maintained well is a much more robust motor than the Hemi. Had they continued improving it I have no doubt it would be creeping up to Hemi power by now .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I agree the 4.7 if maintained well is a much more robust motor than the Hemi. Had they continued improving it I have no doubt it would be creeping up to Hemi power by now .....

Want your BW44-44 to fully lock? Contact @Brandon-w for a locking switch

I have NO doubts about that. Ford can suck how much HP out of a 3.5 V6? Is it 500 now? Just imagine a Generation 3 4.7L V8 Twin Turbo pumping out 550 HP and 560-600 LB-FT/TQ through a 8HP90.

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 hemi ram with the 5 speed and 392 gears Have 105,000 miles on it and it runs and shift great. I also have superchips flash pak tuner which is set at 87 tune as I tow with it. The tuner raises shift points to 6,000 rpm and firms up shifts a little. Usually chirps 1st to 2nd shifts. Have run quarter mile some and trans shifts fine except for 2nd to 4th skip shift because of 2nd prime. If I shift manually it pick up 2 tenths by using third gear but is easy to hit rev limiter if shift too slow and go right into 4th if you shift too fast. My son hab 6 speed in his 2014 and now has the 8 speed in his 2016. 8 speed seems like the best trans out there today for mileage and performance.