65RFE Lucas Transmission Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Okay so strangely the transmission fuse was pulled out slightly. I haven’t taken it out to look at it yet but that’s strange.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About the Lucus Trans Fix fluid. I have a 545RFE and it started going out back in December 2018. I started using this stuff and she settled down real good. I kept changing out a bottle at a time about every 1500kms or right after a long haul. The trans lasted me until Dec 13/19, one year and my
Trans fluid was right burnt and very low when I started using this stuff. It’s just a bandaid like what was stated earlier in this post, but a damn good bandaid that will give you more time to get that money saved up and figure out what you want to install before you end up with a surprise bill or a nice looking driveway ornament!

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah preheating the tranny fluid just doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

More than likely the trans, trans fluid and the friction modifiers in it are designed to operate at an optimum temp,so why wouldn't you want to get it there faster.Cold fluid will cause the valves,accumulators and clutch packs to react slower especially up north.Not really a good thing.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah preheating the tranny fluid just doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

Temperature control is a good thing - if you've been around motors a long time you might remember that small oil leaks were considered normal on brand new vehicles 40+ years ago, while modern vehicles don't leak nearly as much. Some of that is materials and manufacturing improvement but a huge part of it is temperature control. If everything comes up at the same rate, everything expands and contracts at the same rate. If the engine temperature is sustained during short shopping trips so it's still warm when you get back out and start it up that's one less thermal cycle it all has to go through.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
More than likely the trans, trans fluid and the friction modifiers in it are designed to operate at an optimum temp,so why wouldn't you want to get it there faster.Cold fluid will cause the valves,accumulators and clutch packs to react slower especially up north.Not really a good thing.

Good point, i never thought about that. Personally i think it’d be better if it never preheated past 120-140°F, if you know what i mean.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
How many miles are on your truck, and has it had routine servicing of the trans before?

Asking because I've never had this or any other kind of difficulty with a RFE (one in a WJ with high miles, now in my Ram which still has fairly low miles)
I did mine at 40,000 used amsoil it right away shifted smother no clunk like befor ans at 59,600 is shifting really good there was a update for it then down loaded seems it goes a little longer now befor it shifs up going to change at 100,00 if I m around for that ! u all be safe ok ! scott

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Transmission fluid is already very thin fluid even when cold, obviously to a point. 5w20 oil is around 9 operating visc all modern tranny fluids are between 5.5 -7.5 operating bisc. So one grade thinner then 20 weight oil and up to the bottom line of what a 20 weight oil is. I think it is clear as day, manu's now view transmissions themselves as disposable items. It no longer makes sense to fix an 8 speed when the cost to drop and fix it would be marginal to the cost to put a brand new one in. Lifetime fluids and units that cant easily be serviced and cost a fortune to service, clearly they just want you to change transmissions when necessary.

And btw, this is a new thing, never before did all of these conditions exist, older transmissions are almost double the cost of newer trans. I would bet if you could delete the heated zf fluid, I would bet that transmission would last much longer. Let's be clear and stop wasting time talking about, they heat the fluid for gov't gas mileage goals and nothing else. Let's not go full stupid and think the damn temps we see on the zf8 is a good thing, many guys up at 250f, this is B A D.

heatchrt.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also think about the temperature of the fluid as a whole, and the fluid that is spending time in the friction points. Jus because my rfe operates at 131/2 that doesn't mean at the point of clutch packs the fluid is 131f. It's just that thanks to the cold operating temp that clutch pack itself will be cooler then transmissions that operate hot. I can't even guess how hot friction points are when a transmission is 220f+. Many zf8's are 180f, and my guess that is ok, but way too many are over 200f as a daily function.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Is it normal for the fuse box to have all the fuses for things the truck wasn’t equipped with? My fuse box has fuses for the sunroof etc and they all have traces, if that makes sense.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it normal for the fuse box to have all the fuses for things the truck wasn’t equipped with? My fuse box has fuses for the sunroof etc and they all have traces, if that makes sense.

It's pretty typical for the wiring harness on a vehicle to be populated for every configuration. Makes manufacturing a lot easier in the long run even if it means some "dark" wires just along for the ride. Never heard of the fuse box being filled with the fuses though..

On older vehicles it was usually possible to upgrade just by plugging the relevant parts into the ends where they go. Modern vehicles you'd need to do that AND enable the feature - which can be sometimes done using alfaobd or failing that, by having the option code added by your local dealer.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
It's pretty typical for the wiring harness on a vehicle to be populated for every configuration. Makes manufacturing a lot easier in the long run even if it means some "dark" wires just along for the ride. Never heard of the fuse box being filled with the fuses though..

On older vehicles it was usually possible to upgrade just by plugging the relevant parts into the ends where they go. Modern vehicles you'd need to do that AND enable the feature - which can be sometimes done using alfaobd or failing that, by having the option code added by your local dealer.

That’s incredibly cool actually. Makes it easier for all the addons i wanna put in :-D

I’m thinking about picking up an AlfaOBD too.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Transmission fluid is already very thin fluid even when cold, obviously to a point. 5w20 oil is around 9 operating visc all modern tranny fluids are between 5.5 -7.5 operating bisc. So one grade thinner then 20 weight oil and up to the bottom line of what a 20 weight oil is. I think it is clear as day, manu's now view transmissions themselves as disposable items. It no longer makes sense to fix an 8 speed when the cost to drop and fix it would be marginal to the cost to put a brand new one in. Lifetime fluids and units that cant easily be serviced and cost a fortune to service, clearly they just want you to change transmissions when necessary.

And btw, this is a new thing, never before did all of these conditions exist, older transmissions are almost double the cost of newer trans. I would bet if you could delete the heated zf fluid, I would bet that transmission would last much longer. Let's be clear and stop wasting time talking about, they heat the fluid for gov't gas mileage goals and nothing else. Let's not go full stupid and think the damn temps we see on the zf8 is a good thing, many guys up at 250f, this is B A D.

heatchrt.jpg
Sure

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well guys, i think it’s finally time for a new transmission, or a new torque converter.

Today, i tried backing into my garage after getting some water and food, and reverse completely died and made the classic excruciatingly loud TQ converter whine. I have no check engine light for the TQ clutch, or anything of that matter, but i know that’s what’s going out. I took it out for a temp spin and reverse came back and is extremely strong, but still, it needs to be repaired.

The truck has 451,432 miles on it, and this will be the first “major” repair she has ever had. I’m considering fixing her up and bringing her to new condition both mechanically and cosmetically and buying a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited (or test driving one for a bit). Luckily, i still have my Chrysler 300.

This sucks.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a question I had about the Lube Gard transmission additive; can this be used with a perfectly good working trans to prevent issues?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well guys, i think it’s finally time for a new transmission, or a new torque converter.

Today, i tried backing into my garage after getting some water and food, and reverse completely died and made the classic excruciatingly loud TQ converter whine. I have no check engine light for the TQ clutch, or anything of that matter, but i know that’s what’s going out. I took it out for a temp spin and reverse came back and is extremely strong, but still, it needs to be repaired.

The truck has 451,432 miles on it, and this will be the first “major” repair she has ever had. I’m considering fixing her up and bringing her to new condition both mechanically and cosmetically and buying a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited (or test driving one for a bit). Luckily, i still have my Chrysler 300.

This sucks.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently my son lost the torque converter on his 2003 Ram 1500 at just over 200,000. Never did any maintenance that I can remember. When talking to the local tranny guy he said that he very seldom sees a 545/645RFE come into the shop for any problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031568 miles.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I've got a 16 Ram 1500 with the 3.6 and 8 speed. It has the active shutters also, so it's not just the Hemi. I wasn't enthused about the engine and transmission temps I was seeing, so I removed all but the upper and lower slats in the shutter assembly. Now engine pretty much stays under 200 degrees, and trans doesn't seem to go over 185 which I can live with. No CEL as long as it has a couple of shutters to move, and I'm happier with the temperatures.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just a question I had about the Lube Gard transmission additive; can this be used with a perfectly good working trans to prevent issues?

Yeah I would like to know this as well. Or the Lucas as preventative.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Personally I wouldn't be putting lucas anything in a properly working engine or tranny. I think that product is more designed to help after you have an issue, basically fluid thickners. And I think using top tier boutique transmission oils is the way to go. In fact, we now see oem's copy boutique formulas as they went to pao based oils. It's just that if you buy oem you will pay more then double if you just ran the boutique oil in the first place. I don't know if using lubegard tranny fix will prevent issues, since they have like many many different treatments, I'd be careful with it if that was what you wanted to do. I'd lean towards either just using a boutique oil or just keeping the clean by changing it often.

The problems common to the rfe are more with design, I don't think any fluid will stop valve body or solenoid issues that can happen. As far as preserving clutches packs, like I said I think have clean fluid is the way to go. It is possible to run a cleaner in the fluid that may help clean clutch packs and prevent them from burning up, but I'm not sure what would be the best product for that, lubegard or autorx, don't really know as far as preventative. I'd invest more in a lower interval as opposed to additives personally. Once a tranny is old and experience problems, then you have nothing to lose then try some additives and have fun. With a newer transmission without issues, I don't see the benefit of additives, just one man's opinion on that.

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My truck has 450K miles and has had the trans serviced every 30K miles.

I would like to see a picture of the Odometer and truck, so I can post a pic on a High Mileage site that I am a member of!