65RFE Lucas Transmission Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I was going to actually say mine will hold 4th to about 15mph if I never touch the brakes. I drive in tow/haul under 45mph (I turn it on at 50 and off at 45 while I drive) but if I coast down to 15 it'll stay in 4th even when I accelerate. I do this daily because my drive into town goes 70mph down to 45mph down to 20mph in steps and I usually just let off the throttle and coast down the whole way. Then my drive through town at 20 it'll hold 4th even accelerating around corners.

Drives me nuts because that's below 1000rpm but it still seems to have enough get up and go in tow/haul. Out of tow mode it falls on its face, but it also holds 5th to 28mph which is even more annoying.

I keep thinking of a tune, but switching tow/haul on and off is working fine for me.

One of my issues too, in my city it goes from 65 to 30. I just drove in Tow Haul and the response of the vehicle was so much better, still had the strange CVT thing but i guess that’s just normal behavior for mine. I haven’t ever gotten a “Gear X incorrect ratio” so everything’s fine in the tranny, ig. But it helps!

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I think i may have found the issue. Torque Converter Slip.

This is almost exactly what it does, but accelerating in 4th gear from 20MPH.

Still unaware if this is just normal for the 65RFE. I’m incredibly tired, goodnight everyone.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it might be the torque converter slipping? Was it doing this before the Lucas?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So it might be the torque converter slipping? Was it doing this before the Lucas?

Yup.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well that sucks.........

Yeah, it does.

This truck had an issue where reverse completely died in November, I came back from getting coffee and tried to back it into my garage, and it completely died. Did another filter change and fluid swap, and reverse came back stronger than Drive. But, when the reverse thing occurred, it made the infamous TQ converter whine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are losing reverse but then it comes back with a fluid change, you should look at valve body. I wonder if all the things that plague the VB ends up in poor line pressure and that is effecting the TC. But, with 450k miles does someone even want to bother dropping 2 grand into a valve body? Probably not.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
If you are losing reverse but then it comes back with a fluid change, you should look at valve body. I wonder if all the things that plague the VB ends up in poor line pressure and that is effecting the TC. But, with 450k miles does someone even want to bother dropping 2 grand into a valve body? Probably not.

This truck has been involved with a lot of ****, and i’m not ready to ditch her for a new one yet. I’m going to have to buy a new truck sooner or later but i atleast want her to still be in drivable condition. I’m gonna have to look into the VB, and i’ll spend the 2K on getting her completely up to like new condition both on the outside and the inside. I will most likely be looking into either a 2020 1500 3.6. Classic, or a All-new 5th gen 2020 3.6 with Etorque. Don’t want the hemi as i really don’t wanna deal with all the issues that come with them.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So there is a cheaper way to do valve body, first watch that video. So you can opt for a gasket and rebuild kit, and do it yourself. Now, you don't get a solenoid, plate, new valve body or tune for line pressure, but you do get something that will fix the leaks, which in turn will increase line pressure a bit anyhow, plus fix up OD and Reverse. I'm pretty sure you can get rebuilt well under 500 bucks with gasket pistons and springs. You need 8 quarts atf and maybe a spin on filter, I wouldn't bother with sump filter if you did that recently. I bet that would freshen up the tranny, perhaps even fix it, dunno. No guarantees on that, but watch that vid, another hemi395 great finds.

If you do all that, I'd leave that lucas alone.

Trans go is the old school shift kit CO, I'm sure there are others. I bet ats has something as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Or, you could opt for a reman. Now these were vac tested, but my guess is they follow oem specs, and if you watch the video you may want to rebuild yourself with new pistons, but for sure this is an option at 425 bucks and likely also addressed solenoid which most kits wouldn't at that price range.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/545RFE-65R...nnax-Switch-Valve-Kit-R65RFEVB2-/272774266110

btw, that dude has 100% positive feedback with 1000's of customers.

VB is plug and play, if you can get under a truck, you can replace it.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Trump Check spent?

Seriously though, watch that vid. When you said you lost reverse but then got it back with fluid flush, really makes me thing this can be fixed in valve body, or at least a chance it could be. TC are very dependant on flow obviously, I bet it is a down stream issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Haven’t gotten it yet. Which is strange, i think.

I haven't got mine either, they said it could take months. You can update the irs page and they will direct deposit or check if they have it in the mail.

You need routing number, easily found online, just google routing number and your bank and area, your account number, name and birth date. Or wait for the check.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I haven't got mine either, they said it could take months. You can update the irs page and they will direct deposit or check if they have it in the mail.

You need routing number, easily found online, just google routing number and your bank and area, your account number, name and birth date. Or wait for the check.

Yeah, i have everything done and checked over so i don’t have to worry. Isn’t there a 2nd stimulus check coming out? And P.S, i know this is kind of a ******** question to ask but what is the factory Torque Converter stall speed on the 65RFE? I looked around and can’t find any good results. I was gonna check it out tomorrow by brake torquing it and i wanna see if the torque converter is actually shot or if it’s just the valve body acting up.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I found the issue, and i feel extremely stupid now. My house is on an incline, and that’s how i’ve been measuring the fluid level. Took it to a flat area, measured it, and the fluid is around 1-1 1/2 inches overfilled, and i panicked. That explains everything.