MDS hemi lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got the part numbers for the lifters today at the RAM dealer
2014 RAM 6.4L
NON MDS lifter pn: 53021572AF
MDS lifter pn: 53021573BC
First year for RAM 6.4L is 2014

2014 RAM 5.7L
Same lifter pn's as 2014 RAM 6.4L
Confirmed
Again RAM director of engineering said that testing for 6.4L was performed using 5w30 conventional

Wow i think if we were on the tv show mythbusters we would declare that the myth of "5w20 is required for proper mds operation"

Myth_busted_6719.jpg

I would again like to thank raven for really taking the time to dive into the technical side of things
If he had not appeared we would still be discussing the difference between tri nuc moly vs. regular and the merits of polyol esters :roflsquared:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
20 grade is all about mpg.
The GF-5 fuel consumption test is based on 0.3% mpg improvement between 20 & 30.

Been spreading this gospel for the last 2 years--> Our Honest / Muslim / government calls it CAFE!!

My Ram and both our 2012 Edges demonstrates 0% mpg loss while running on 30wt... While all are spec for 5W-20...

But there are millions of grocery getter's and autos for soccer moms that run 20Wt and have well over 100,000-200,000 miles with never an issue. So the 20Wt serves it's purpose in the right Application...

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just took the proverbial plunge put in penzoil Platinum 5 30w with the regular fram synthetic filter at 10600 miles. Put in half a bottle of Mos2 also. Previous oil was only 4k miles old . Normally change at 6-7k intervals as I will going forward.

I wanted to put in 30w for my first oil change but the folks on the other forum all didn't recommend it at that time.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
For some reason this thread likes to make a turn into motor oil.
The original purpose of this thread was to discuss the mechanical reasons,
why the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi MDS lifter collapses with the OE camshaft.

Using more aggressive high lift camshafts cause the MDS lifter to collapse because of the increased
dynamic forces resulting from additional acceleration from faster ramp camshaft lobe,
based on Newtons basic law of physics, F= MA.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason this thread likes to make a turn into motor oil.
The original purpose of this thread was to discuss the mechanical reasons,
why the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi MDS lifter collapse with OE the camshaft.

Using more aggressive high lift camshafts cause the MDS lifter to collapse because of the increased
dynamic forces resulting from additional acceleration from faster ramp camshaft lobe,
based on Newtons basic law of physics, F= MA.
Yes you are right, I apologize , posted in wrong section.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk