Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You'll need an unlocked pcm / bypass cable and tuner to bump your idle rpm up. It's not exactly cheap to bump the idle rpm up on the 15+ trucks. Unless you plan on tuning the truck,it's hard to justify the costs involved to just bump the idle up
Ah, $hit - forgot about the expensive part - the unlocked PCM.

Sorry BOIRD.

Yeah, so like Rick says, us po' boys (in my case I'd already tuned before I knew about this) do stuff like look for lower restriction media oil filters, and pre-lube the engine before starting if it's sat awhile. Push gas pedal to floor, foot on brake, and crank. Engine will crank without firing, so you build up oil pressure in galleys @ starter rpm ~ 200 rpm without the firing loads of engine running, and engine starting going instantly to 1,400 rpm warm up mode.

To stop the cranking you take foot off brake and push start button again. I do a few of these pre-lube cycles prior to starting engine. Also, on shut down, rev the engine or hold ~ 1,000 rpm when turning engine off. Keeps oil galleys full. Don't know how fast they drain down. Again, if you start every day, shutting down @ higher rpm should be fine. If not running every day, then I do the pre-lube cycles first.

Hope this helps.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, $hit - forgot about the expensive part - the unlocked PCM.

Sorry BOIRD.

Yeah, so like Rick says, us po' boys (in my case I'd already tuned before I knew about this) do stuff like look for lower restriction media oil filters, and pre-lube the engine before starting if it's sat awhile. Push gas pedal to floor, foot on brake, and crank. Engine will crank without firing, so you build up oil pressure in galleys @ starter rpm ~ 200 rpm without the firing loads of engine running, and engine starting going instantly to 1,400 rpm warm up mode.

To stop the cranking you take foot off brake and push start button again. I do a few of these pre-lube cycles prior to starting engine. Also, on shut down, rev the engine or hold ~ 1,000 rpm when turning engine off. Keeps oil galleys full. Don't know how fast they drain down. Again, if you start every day, shutting down @ higher rpm should be fine. If not running every day, then I do the pre-lube cycles first.

Hope this helps.
K. I do rev it a few times before I shut it down. But it is a Driveway Princess, lmao. One of the days last winter where we got some type of colder precipitation.

327882975_957555251898973_1423275154844851373_n.jpg

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I probably won't be using RP 20-820 anymore. The last 2 I have used had dents in the filter, and I have a couple more with paint coming off of them. They used to be good filters, but this last batch, not so much!!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I probably won't be using RP 20-820 anymore. The last 2 I have used had dents in the filter, and I have a couple more with paint coming off of them. They used to be good filters, but this last batch, not so much!!

Did they also sell out to some bigger corporation and move production to a cheapo country?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The more I study the Brand Rankings You Tube Test results from 5 months ago, the more I'm liking Purolator Boss. This was the guy ZeeOSix from Bitog consulted with for testing, it's excellent, IMO.

Some of the Bitog crowd is going a couple of OCI's with it due to high capacity media. If I still drove a lot, I probably would too, the filter is running about $15 a pop everywhere, most other 'premium' oil filters in the $10-$12 range now.

1718203939601.png

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The more I study the Brand Rankings You Tube Test results from 5 months ago, the more I'm liking Purolator Boss. This was the guy ZeeOSix from Bitog consulted with for testing, it's excellent, IMO.

Some of the Bitog crowd is going a couple of OCI's with it due to high capacity media. If I still drove a lot, I probably would too, the filter is running about $15 a pop everywhere, most other 'premium' oil filters in the $10-$12 range now.

View attachment 544618

ZeeOSix is quite down on this test though. He claims there is a big discrepency between what the Ascent tests (official) results show vs this BR test and even the Purolator specs themselves say that it's pretty inefficient.

I don't know what to believe. I think the Fram Ultra is probably the safer choice?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm currently using the Purolator Boss PBL 24651(large oil filter) and Red Line 5w/30 combo.

My HEMI idles and runs smooth and quiet just the same when I had used the Royal Purple 20-820.

Can't complain about the price of the Purolator Boss and that it's readily available off auto parts shelf, and that is a good thing.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm currently using the Purolator Boss PBL 24651(large oil filter) and Red Line 5w/30 combo.

My HEMI idles and runs smooth and quiet just the same when I had used the Royal Purple 20-820.

Can't complain about the price of the Purolator Boss and that it's readily available off auto parts shelf, and that is a good thing.

I already have both the RP 20-820 and PB PBL 24651 filters in the garage along with 8 qts of Red Line 5w-30.
PB and RL will be next to try at the end of this month.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
ZeeOSix is quite down on this test though. He claims there is a big discrepency between what the Ascent tests (official) results show vs this BR test and even the Purolator specs themselves say that it's pretty inefficient.

I don't know what to believe. I think the Fram Ultra is probably the safer choice?

Uh oh - trouble in paradise (Bitog)?

Why would this test then show relative differences in efficiencies? It certainly affirms the rock catcher inefficiency of Wix/NAPA that's seen in other testing. We've also discussed flow resistance is most important for Hemi, regardless of the theoretical constant flow of gerotor oil pumps. We know there are flow differences between oil filters via member test results (ticking or not).
Purolator Boss looks like the better balance between efficiency and flow compared to our other premiums RP and Fram Endurance when test results are compared between them - not the absolute test values themselves.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Where did you buy yours? How much?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Imo, the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance and Purolator Boss PBL 24651 are very good alternatives to the RP 20-820 and are readily available.

I've cut all three of them open for my personal visual comparison and the quality of the media/overall construction of the oil filters compare the same.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Imo, the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance and Purolator Boss PBL 24651 are very good alternatives to the RP 20-820 and are readily available.

I've cut all three of them open for my personal visual comparison and the quality of the media/overall construction of the oil filters compare the same.

Thank you very much.

I'm really wondering if Royal Purple is going downhill in quality in addition to availability.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would love to see the Fram FE2 in Canada. Still haven't. I am not sure about the Purolator Boss PBL 24651 as I haven't looked but it is $26.44 on Amazon Canada. :hahano:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would love to see the Fram FE2 in Canada. Still haven't. I am not sure about the Purolator Boss PBL 24651 as I haven't looked but it is $26.44 on Amazon Canada. :hahano:

I ran a mopar filter last time, thing is built like a tank. Cut it open after 10,000 kms and the pleats were all still perfectly formed.

I know it's not a highly recommended filter but I wonder what the efficiency of it is. For a 5000 mile interval if it had good efficiency that could still be an option? The media is less than ideal (cellulose blend IIRC) but if its used with a short interval... maybe it works ok in a pinch.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran a mopar filter last time, thing is built like a tank. Cut it open after 10,000 kms and the pleats were all still perfectly formed.

I know it's not a highly recommended filter but I wonder what the efficiency of it is. For a 5000 mile interval if it had good efficiency that could still be an option? The media is less than ideal (cellulose blend IIRC) but if its used with a short interval... maybe it works ok in a pinch.
I have a couple of Fram Ultra XG2's to use up. After that I will see what is available here in Canuckastan.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@ramffml -
I was shopping around during a rest break and inadvertantly stumbled across the Bitog thread where Zee was discussing.

I hadn't realized Purolator Boss was one of the oil filters tested by Ascent lab. Ascent's RELATIVE efficiency between oil filter media does not match the RELATIVE efficiency measured by Brand Rankings tests.

I haven't found an explanation for this. This Bitog link contains the Ascent test results we are familiar with. Then it shows Purolator Oil Filter Spec Sheets. They are inconsistent, with some showing 99% efficiency as high as 46 micron particle size. That's in the Wix / NAPA rock catcher region.

I would agree though, that the Fram Endurance is slightly superior to the Fram Ultra (current version), so perhaps that is the more conservative choice.
Man, what a mess.