Spark Knock on new Warlock classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoggins26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I have a 22 Warlock with 5k miles, and it has spark knock with 87 and 89 gas. Both very noticeable, with 91 it’s almost gone. Dealer has looked at it twice and said it’s “normal”. I wouldn’t think we have to run premium in a Ram classic. Anyone else have this issue and what it could be?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Definitely try a different gas station with top tier fuel.

Maybe the knock sensors aren't working properly?
Maybe the spark plugs need looking at?

Try removing your plugs and check the gap & coloration on them.

OP
OP
TLoggins26

TLoggins26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the owner's manual show for required fuel? Maybe try a different gas station/brand; preferably top tier fuel. Either way, the preignition WILL destroy the engine.
Thanks. Manual recommends mid grade 89. With premium it goes away but it started at about 2K miles so something seems off. Service department has been useless, will try another dealer.

OP
OP
TLoggins26

TLoggins26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely not normal my 21 warlock has 61k miles now no issues. I always use 89 shell gas.
Thanks for the reply. Did it ever do it on 87? I had a 2002 ram 1500 that we kept 290,000 miles and ran 87 on the 4.7L, and no issues like this.

OP
OP
TLoggins26

TLoggins26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks! Running premium right now from different station and doing ok. I’m going to take it to a different service center and recommend those things. Thanks for the information.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. Did it ever do it on 87? I had a 2002 ram 1500 that we kept 290,000 miles and ran 87 on the 4.7L, and no issues like this.
I do not use 87 I always use 89 in every 5.7l I have owned. I know the manual says you can but I just stick to 89.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have ran 7 in mine when I first bought it new in 2013, after about 3 tank loads I switched to 89 and try to use Top Teir stations, I have 145,*** miles on it now and to me 89 seems to make it run better.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hello all, I have a 22 Warlock with 5k miles, and it has spark knock with 87 and 89 gas. Both very noticeable, with 91 it’s almost gone. Dealer has looked at it twice and said it’s “normal”. I wouldn’t think we have to run premium in a Ram classic. Anyone else have this issue and what it could be?
The guys are right, this is NOT normal. Something isn't working right, even on 87, the ECU should control knock. This will seriously harm your engine, get it fixed, do not drive it with the knock.

First thing out of most dealers mouths is, this is normal. 98% of the time that is pure B.S.. Do not accept this deflection tactic and if you have a choice find a better dealer.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not use 87 I always use 89 in every 5.7l I have owned. I know the manual says you can but I just stick to 89.
And if that makes you feel all fuzzy inside, good on ya! I have learned that putting higher octane gas in the tank than is required is like adding sugar to a soda pop.

But somehow, urban legends have formed inaccurate beliefs and many people believe the myths. And people are going to believe what they want, not necessarily science, which doesn't lie.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
And if that makes you feel all fuzzy inside, good on ya! I have learned that putting higher octane gas in the tank than is required is like adding sugar to a soda pop.

But somehow, urban legends have formed inaccurate beliefs and many people believe the myths. And people are going to believe what they want, not necessarily science, which doesn't lie.
Too true. My 1996 V10 actually makes far less power, and gets much worse gas mileage on premium than on regular. If you were towing heavy you can REALLY notice the power loss. Taught me to never run more Octane than the compression and tuning was setup for.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too true. My 1996 V10 actually makes far less power, and gets much worse gas mileage on premium than on regular. If you were towing heavy you can REALLY notice the power loss. Taught me to never run more Octane than the compression and tuning was setup for.
Those computer air/fuel/correction algorithms are nigh impossible to beat!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If knock sensors aren't working as designed, the check engine light will come on and the computer will go into a default of about 12 to 1 air fuel ratio with reduced power. The computer is designed to protect the engine and cat converters from destruction. Spark knock is THE shortest path to said destruction.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I only use what the manual says.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I only use what the manual says.
Agree, if you want to run regular, buy a vehicle designed to run on that. If you buy a high performance rig tuned to run on Premium, don't try to out smart that guys that designed the car, just use what they tell you to. I have vehicles that run regular and those that run Premium, and that is what I use in them. Not convinced this whole middle ground of 89 Octane makes much difference. 2 points of Octane can easily be over ridden by fuel quality, as in Top Tier or no, as well as ethanol in it or not.

I found this test interesting, particularly the 5.7 Charger results, and it explains Octane well.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! Running premium right now from different station and doing ok. I’m going to take it to a different service center and recommend those things. Thanks for the information.

I see in your profile that you have the 3.6L in your Warlock. Unless they changed something between 2018 and 2022 the 3.6 should run all day just fine on 87 fuel. I don’t think I’ve ever used anything other than 87 in my 3.6 over 80k miles. Definitely try a different dealer.

OP
OP
TLoggins26

TLoggins26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see in your profile that you have the 3.6L in your Warlock. Unless they changed something between 2018 and 2022 the 3.6 should run all day just fine on 87 fuel. I don’t think I’ve ever used anything other than 87 in my 3.6 over 80k miles. Definitely try a different dealer.
Yup it’s the 3.6.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup it’s the 3.6.

It should have no issues running on 87 octane gasoline. Definitely something is off with your engine. Unfortunately the knock sensors are buried in the valley of the 3.6 under the oil cooler housing. A huge PITA to get to! Possibly the reason the dealer said “it’s normal”. Please do try a different dealer.