Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,004 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 667 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get "private video" when i clic on the link
I had the video pulled up this morning, but didn't have time to watch it. After seeing these comments, I went to the youtube page I still had open with the video. As soon as the page refreshed, private video came up.

Choppz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the risk of jumping into the fray; you did suggest the temps were due to the change in oil. This is not possible. Any decrease in engine temps is due to the cooling system, so tstat and ags etc.

Oil also gets dirty as it does its job with all the various detergents in the formula; I don't know what you ran Amsoil in but you won't be putting Amsoil in a hemi and getting clean oil back after 8k miles. The hemi is a filthy little burner, all oil gets dark quickly with it, and especially if you run a premium oil after junk oil you should be seeing it clean up the deposits etc.
I didn't suggest anything. Hats called assuming. I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that

Choppz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being a last pair bc you ******* are boyfriends haha **** all of y'all. This is some high school hilarious ****

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't suggest anything.

Yes, you absolutely did. These 2 posts of yours should refresh your memory.

Choppz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you absolutely did. These 2 posts of yours should refresh your memory.

What a da

Choppz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, I get it now, you must be a Cybertruck tough guy wannabe, Junior.
I would never buy that *** ass truck but if you fell that way maybe you're just expressing yourself. It's ok if you're an E guy. *** yes but ok yes

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I would never buy that *** ass truck but if you fell that way maybe you're just expressing yourself. It's ok if you're an E guy. *** yes but ok yes

Maybe, you could salvage yourself and just fit in?

These folks your "hammering on" have been in the RAMforum for quite some time and are very knowledgeable and have been "around the block" when you were just ******* yellow, and that is being polite ...

Sit back, relax and be sensible, respectful and polite.

ColoradoCub64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello guys long time lurker and just joined. I’ve got a 2022 Hemi 6.4 and one of the things I noticed right away when I bought this truck over a year ago was the lifter noise on start up when the truck has sat a while that only lasts a couple seconds, in my life owning new trucks I’ve never heard such a thing and immediately thought I could remedy it by using something other than PUP. I order Amsoil 0w40 and a Wix XP filter and it only made it worse. With Amsoil it did it almost every start where with PUP it was here and there but not every start. Immediately got some more PUP and an OEM filter and dumped the Amsoil. After doing some research online about this issue I saw that a lot of guys were also running Scheffers Moly EP with good results so I thought I’d give it a try. Using PUP with 1 pint of Schaeffers Moly EP really helped quiet down the cold start lifter chatter. I don’t see a lot of guys on here talk about the Schaefers Moly treatment and was curious if anyone else has been running it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hello guys long time lurker and just joined. I’ve got a 2022 Hemi 6.4 and one of the things I noticed right away when I bought this truck over a year ago was the lifter noise on start up when the truck has sat a while that only lasts a couple seconds, in my life owning new trucks I’ve never heard such a thing and immediately thought I could remedy it by using something other than PUP. I order Amsoil 0w40 and a Wix XP filter and it only made it worse. With Amsoil it did it almost every start where with PUP it was here and there but not every start. Immediately got some more PUP and an OEM filter and dumped the Amsoil. After doing some research online about this issue I saw that a lot of guys were also running Scheffers Moly EP with good results so I thought I’d give it a try. Using PUP with 1 pint of Schaeffers Moly EP really helped quiet down the cold start lifter chatter. I don’t see a lot of guys on here talk about the Schaefers Moly treatment and was curious if anyone else has been running it.
Welcome to the board, the good news is you know what the issue is, the bad news is it is lifters. So what we as a group did over a decade was try and find options that did the least harm and accomplished a goal, quiet hemi tick. So in the case of shaeffers moly treat it is very low moly 18ppm but rather it is an oil thickner like Lucas stabilizer. I'd be inclined to do short intervals and perhaps to a uoa and see where it lands, post uoa in Blackstone thread. It is weird, because on paper the amsoil 0w40 should have helped in comparison to moly EP, but it didn't. Also, long term I would be curious if the EP keeps it quiet. If you are married to EP for a while, do a uoa and we can comment if there is any negatives with the visc. might want to get tbn as well, I forgot the additive package on EP other then moly. You use the same filter each time and which one?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In Colorado I would be worried about a thick oil in the winter, as long as you keep cold piston slap away, you are good, but we have a ton of guys who get a second condition not related to hemi tick with thick oils in the cold. I know, it is a lot for take in. Kinda why additives as opposed to viscosity seams to be the most desirable answer the this problem.

ColoradoCub64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the response. I’ve owned 5.7 Hemis and I know about the common afflictions they have but none of my 5.7’s had the cold start lifter chatter for a couple seconds when started cold until oil makes it to the top end, it was startling at first to hear it and then realized I just have to live with it , heck it’s listed as normal in the owners manual. The Amsoil was IMO even thinner than 0w40 PUP, it was significantly noisier than PUP. I live in southern Colorado it’s a hot son ***** here in the summer, over 100 daily, and my truck works hard seeing as everything is uphill and downhill everywhere I go and I tow a camper and a heavy boat. My concern isn’t exactly cold starts (temp wise) since my truck lives in a garage (where you can really here sounds on start up with the windows down) it’s just doing whatever I can to ensure lasting reliability out of the engine. My gut tells me that this 0w is just too damn thin, it’s like water when it’s cold and it’s even like water when I drain it hot, splashes like water. I hate that all these vehicles now a days run such thin oil and in exchange it makes sense the drivetrains resonate so many sounds. I lived in Alaska for a long time , even before we had 0w anything available and even at -50 F we started all kinds of vehicles with 5w or 15w oils with no problem, gas and diesel alike.

Been running the Mopar 339 since the failed Amsoil/Wix experiment. I believe that the Shafers Moly is a oil thickener, the stuff is like honey, I have to warm it up to get it to pour, had no idea it was actually low in Moly…weird.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the response. I’ve owned 5.7 Hemis and I know about the common afflictions they have but none of my 5.7’s had the cold start lifter chatter for a couple seconds when started cold until oil makes it to the top end, it was startling at first to hear it and then realized I just have to live with it , heck it’s listed as normal in the owners manual. The Amsoil was IMO even thinner than 0w40 PUP, it was significantly noisier than PUP. I live in southern Colorado it’s a hot son ***** here in the summer, over 100 daily, and my truck works hard seeing as everything is uphill and downhill everywhere I go and I tow a camper and a heavy boat. My concern isn’t exactly cold starts (temp wise) since my truck lives in a garage (where you can really here sounds on start up with the windows down) it’s just doing whatever I can to ensure lasting reliability out of the engine. My gut tells me that this 0w is just too damn thin, it’s like water when it’s cold and it’s even like water when I drain it hot, splashes like water. I hate that all these vehicles now a days run such thin oil and in exchange it makes sense the drivetrains resonate so many sounds. I lived in Alaska for a long time , even before we had 0w anything available and even at -50 F we started all kinds of vehicles with 5w or 15w oils with no problem, gas and diesel alike.

Been running the Mopar 339 since the failed Amsoil/Wix experiment. I believe that the Shafers Moly is a oil thickener, the stuff is like honey, I have to warm it up to get it to pour, had no idea it was actually low in Moly…weird.
Could give redline 5w40 a go. Its thick and has a nice HTHS and super low noack