Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,004 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 667 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Hello guys long time lurker and just joined. I’ve got a 2022 Hemi 6.4 and one of the things I noticed right away when I bought this truck over a year ago was the lifter noise on start up when the truck has sat a while that only lasts a couple seconds, in my life owning new trucks I’ve never heard such a thing and immediately thought I could remedy it by using something other than PUP. I order Amsoil 0w40 and a Wix XP filter and it only made it worse. With Amsoil it did it almost every start where with PUP it was here and there but not every start. Immediately got some more PUP and an OEM filter and dumped the Amsoil. After doing some research online about this issue I saw that a lot of guys were also running Scheffers Moly EP with good results so I thought I’d give it a try. Using PUP with 1 pint of Schaeffers Moly EP really helped quiet down the cold start lifter chatter. I don’t see a lot of guys on here talk about the Schaefers Moly treatment and was curious if anyone else has been running it.
Welcome! My old 6.4 also sounded like a thrashing machine on Amsoil SS, so you are not alone. I had success with Redline 5W40, but wish I had also tried 5W30 for comparison. I prefer using an oil that keeps it happy, rather than play additive roulette, personally.

On Edit:
To clarify, I don't own the 6.4 anymore, am back in a Cummins, so just passing along previous experience.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Inline 6 di turbo versus v6 di turbo? And btw, the "new" Toyota v6 turbo has been recalled for massive engine fails. My guess, they really don't know what is going on, I don't buy the entire manufacturing debris thing. Because if it is a v6 turbo fail and they cant blame it on debris, think about how bad that could be?? Since these dummies don't even have a fix, how can they sell me they know what caused it? I call bs, I call total lie, I call their v6 turbo is isht. What say you? Burla full of it?

This matters now, this is ram's future and the future of likely all entry level full size pickups, which is why I have been discussing di turbo's for 10 years. Do we think the inline turbo 6 in the rams will be a better option then other v6 turbos?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Inline 6 di turbo versus v6 di turbo? And btw, the "new" Toyota v6 turbo has been recalled for massive engine fails. My guess, they really don't know what is going on, I don't buy the entire manufacturing debris thing. Because if it is a v6 turbo fail and they cant blame it on debris, think about how bad that could be?? Since these dummies don't even have a fix, how can they sell me they know what caused it? I call bs, I call total lie, I call their v6 turbo is isht. What say you? Burla full of it?

This matters now, this is ram's future and the future of likely all entry level full size pickups, which is why I have been discussing di turbo's for 10 years. Do we think the inline turbo 6 in the rams will be a better option then other v6 turbos?

The couple teardown videos I have seen did not look like a foreign debris situation to me. I think there is more to it. The front main and the adjoining rod throws were black as coal.

Having been the unfortunate owner of a 3VZE Toyota V6, I wouldn't put anything past them. I'll never own another one.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The couple teardown videos I have seen did not look like a foreign debris situation to me. I think there is more to it. The front main and the adjoining rod throws were black as coal.

Having been the unfortunate owner of a 3VZE Toyota V6, I wouldn't put anything past them. I'll never own another one.
wow, wasnt expecting that. Thanks for the input tj. My guess is they are thinking they can quietly fix the bugs as they keep going til it wont become an issue. How sad is it that a company would think this is a better way forward. Hopefully time will tell the story, Ford seams to have worked out most of the di bugs? Can't wait to see what happens with rams and their inline 6.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I was in the market for a new ram for my mild towing needs, I think I would look at the Pentastar instead of the high powered inline 6. I would hate to drop 70k on a truck that is more of an experiment then a known quantity. At least you know what you are getting with the Pentastar. Imagine being one of those Tundra guys today, yeah we know we f'd up your engine but the good news is there is no fix? wth?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

See: Ford EcoBoost V6 Turbo circa 2011..............70,000 mile lifespan. Everyone can afford a new truck every 4-5 years, right? :rolleyes:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ive heard the gen 3 is much better

I've read this but that's mostly quality fixes not longevity and durability.

No such thing as something for nothing. I don't know how why guys spend so much and get a truck for just a grocery getter, but that's not me. When I tow I don't want some w*h*i*z motor climbing out of the hood ready to blow.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I was in the market for a new ram for my mild towing needs, I think I would look at the Pentastar instead of the high powered inline 6. I would hate to drop 70k on a truck that is more of an experiment then a known quantity. At least you know what you are getting with the Pentastar. Imagine being one of those Tundra guys today, yeah we know we f'd up your engine but the good news is there is no fix? wth?
The Pentastar really is a damn nice engine. It was designed to handle boost in the future so in NA form, the bottom end is overbuilt. I don't think we'll ever see it get boost now that the Hurricane is out but there are supercharger kits out there that add a decent amount of power.

Aside from the oil cooler leaks and the occasional sticking tstat causing overheat/headgasket leaks, its a pretty bulletproof motor.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No dipsticks at all, lol?

Spray on cylinder liner wth?

What was he talking about gas Cummins?

I admit I have some truck envy, I likey that dudes PW.
Nope. No oil dipstick.

And yes spray on cylinder liner.

And the turbos are small so they spool up quick.

Not exactly a recipe for longevity IMO.

The Hurricane looks great on paper I will admit that and we all know HP sells vehicles. BUT how well will it hold up to towing long term? I don't see them being very reliable past 100k.

So Cummins is playing around with a Gas version of the 6.7. Supposedly it shares a lot of the same lower end components as the 6.7 diesel, but its set up to run on Gas. I'm intrigued with that one...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Spray on liners used by a couple others too. I think Porsche is one.
Supposedly this is better than BMW Nikasil in the 90s that got wore off by high sulfur U.S. gasoline.
Germans couldn't believe USA could be so cheap! hahahahaha

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So Cummins is playing around with a Gas version of the 6.7. Supposedly it shares a lot of the same lower end components as the 6.7 diesel, but its set up to run on Gas. I'm intrigued with that one...
Maybe they are trying to combat the garbage they are putting on diesels? It probably wouldn't be that hard to replace Cummins reliability with gas due to all of the junk hanging on those def machines. As a bonus because they are HD they are immune to CAFE. Ten bucks they will have dip sticks, who wants some?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Utoh, another take here, stellantis tanking their only two money makers ram and jeep?

To be honest, this makes sense imo. Hurricane not clicking, and apparently they revamped the Pentastar, so we need to find out about that Corey.